Banished! No more numb hands/tingling fingers from handlebar vibrating! - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

3Likes
  • 3 Post By Gaijin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 02-25-2017, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Banished! No more numb hands/tingling fingers from handlebar vibrating!

There are lots of things I like about the Street 750, and a few things I don't like. I'm taking action to eliminate the don't likes. And one of the don't likes was how after about maybe 45 minutes of riding, my hands would go kind of numb and/or my fingers would start tingling, from the handlebar vibration. I mean, hey, I get it -- it's a big V-Twin, there's going to be vibration, but -- this was an annoyance that would bring the fun to an end after only 45 minutes.

To address it, I installed Kuryakyn ISO grips, and the corresponding bar end weights. Kuryakyn now markets a set of grips specifically for the Street 500/750, part #6409 in black. You can get the grips in chrome too, but -- that seemed silly, the Street is a blacked-out Dark Custom, so I went with black grips.

The install was pretty easy, once you understand that the directions are WRONG. Just plain wrong. The printed directions for installing the throttle grip are completely insane. Instead, you should watch the video on Kuryakyn's site, it shows you exactly how to install the throttle grip. As for the clutch side, the video and the instructions are reasonably accurate.

The ISO grips are big grips with a lot more rubber on them, which should lead to isolating the hands from some vibration. But I wanted to knock it out entirely (if possible), so I also installed the bar end weights (Kuryakyn part #6339 ). They're just what they say they are, some heavy weights that you bolt on to the end of your grips; the idea is that weighting down the ends of the bars should absorb some vibration.

I had heard that there was an astonishing BBQ place about 90 miles away, but had never gone there. Today seemed like a good day to test it, so -- yep, 180 mile round trip, my first long trip with the Kuryakyn grips/weights installed. And I can report that there was no numbness and no tingling fingers at all! The grips are huge, they're about 2" longer than the stock grips (especially with the bar end weights) and they're much bigger around, and they're covered in soft rubber. Between the big grips absorbing vibration and the bar end weights doing what they do to soak it up, it was enough. I can't say there was no vibration, as there was, but -- it was tamed enough that I no longer get numb hands. At least, I didn't during a 90-mile ride at 65 to 85 MPH, a scenario which would have ensured numb hands prior to the new grips.

This is an expensive fix, the grips + weights cost me about $108 at Revzilla. If you only ever take short trips, you may not see the need, but if you want to go longer and you get the numb hands, you might want to try these. I'm very happy with 'em.
meph1st0, Aunty Em and Rantz like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page