• 2 Post By Gaijin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-28-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Solved! Mirrors perfected

As we all know (or will soon discover), the stock mirrors on the Street 500 & 750 are horrible, and mainly provide a view of your own shoulders.

I am pleased to report that I now have an ideal mirror setup. With my current mirrors, I can not only see the car in the lane next to me, but I can see the car directly behind me. In fact, on a three-lane highway, when riding in the center lane, I can see who's in the left lane, who's behind me, and who's in the right lane -- from EACH mirror. The field of view is so wide that I can see all three lanes in each mirror.

In my case it took two steps to get there. I first went with the Harley tapered long-stem mirrors in black (HD part # 91909-03B and 91910-03B). Those were an improvement over stock, but they still sucked. I could now successfully see the lane next to me, but nothing whatsoever behind me, and it usually took a combination of squeezing in my shoulder and leaning my head over to be able to see. They're wider than stock, and they look great on the bike, and they do extend the field of view quite a bit, they just didn't provide enough additional view.

Step 2 made all the difference: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Krator Black Mirror Relocation Extension Adapter Kit for Harley Davidson Motorcycles

This is a bizarrely-shaped set of extenders that move the mirrors outwards. It does exactly enough that the mirrors not only don't suck anymore, they're actually excellent. This is a true safety upgrade and I recommend it to anyone.

The Krator kit has no instructions so you have to experiment a bit to figure out how to fit it, but it's not rocket science, you'll get it pretty quickly. I ran into two problems: one, the right side bolt was too long and couldn't be tightened down, it was bottoming out. It was about 1/8" too long; I added a couple of washers and that fixed it. The second problem is that the mirror extenders kept coming loose; I added some lockwashers and a dab of Loc-Tite and that solved that.

Best part is that the mirror extenders were only $15, and free shipping! That's the best $15 I've spent on this bike so far.

I don't know if the Krators with the stock mirrors would be sufficient; it's probably worth a try. But I can say that the Krators with the Long Stem Mirrors are fantastic.
PugslyCat and SgtTDC like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-28-2017, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry, but this seems to be old news.

Mirror Extensions + a change in the Mirrors (HD Tribal, or other) has been discussed on here since the bikes first came out in 2014.

HD seems to keep building the bike with no change from the stock mirrors, which truly do SUCK, so we purchase the "mods" we need to see safely

I hate autocorrect. I always end up posting some thong I didn't Nintendo.

2015 XG750 Street - Denim Black (Sold)
2010 Suzuki C50T
2007 Kawasaki KLXs (Sold in 2010)
post #3 of 6 Old 02-28-2017, 05:23 PM

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Having a link to a currently available product is quite handy. Thank you!

post #4 of 6 Old 03-01-2017, 02:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I solved this by replacing the mirrors with Harley's very own long stem mirrors available for other bikes. Far more elegant than appendages that result in vibes. They have these in stock but never readily sell it. Top that with the fact that they are the exact same price but will not add it in as standard. Baffles me.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-01-2017, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrena View Post
I solved this by replacing the mirrors with Harley's very own long stem mirrors available for other bikes. Far more elegant than appendages that result in vibes. They have these in stock but never readily sell it. Top that with the fact that they are the exact same price but will not add it in as standard. Baffles me.
For $84+ dollars compared to $15? Where's the logic in that? I mean if you are truly brand MYOPIC and you need to have only Harley OEM parts, then go ahead and spend the ridiculous amounts of money HD tags for things made outside the US and labels them in house...

We have all been saying that from day one, the mirrors are a hazard, and many of the reviewers, international and US based, have all touched on the flaws this bike has out of the box, mirrors being top 3 every time... You know HD sees it and hears from it at PR and R&D but they don't care, that's part of the Dark Customs piece they can sell you on...

2001 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja (RIP)
2016 Harley Davidson Street 750 (modded)

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (10 sec baby)
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (High 12 tugboat)
post #6 of 6 Old 03-01-2017, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugslyCat View Post
Having a link to a currently available product is quite handy. Thank you!
Google is pretty simple ..........................

https://www.amazon.ca/Relocation-Ext.../dp/B00W67TJV6 (These are the ones I have. Work great, Easy to install, No vibration at all))

Black Mirror Extension Kit | Mirror Trim & Accessories | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

Harley-Davidson Sportster Mirror Stems & Extensions | J&P Cycles

I hate autocorrect. I always end up posting some thong I didn't Nintendo.

2015 XG750 Street - Denim Black (Sold)
2010 Suzuki C50T
2007 Kawasaki KLXs (Sold in 2010)

Last edited by 10-64; 03-01-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page