HD Windshield Helmet Bufferting - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-07-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
HD Windshield Helmet Bufferting

I got a great deal on an original HD windshield for my XG750. Half price and like new. I installed it, and messed with the positioning up and down, and I can't get rid of helmet vibration above 50 MPH (80 KPH). I like how the windshield takes the wind off my chest, and my vision is blurry from the helmet buffeting.

I don't see lowers for the XG750, has anyone made their own? Or is there another solution to getting rid of the buffeting? As of now I've removed the windshield because I'd rather just take the wind in the chest as opposed to the helmet.

I'm 6 foot tall by the way, with a 32" inseam. Stock seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-07-2017, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Helmet buffeting is one of those things that has to be solved on an individualized case by case basis. I've gone through three different windshields and mounting them in every way imaginable to try to get a smooth, clean ride with clear air and no increase in noise and buffeting. It's embarrassing how much time I put into it. But what I can tell you is that the angle makes a huge difference, your height makes a huge difference, the height of the shield makes a huge difference, and venting/MadStad style makes a huge difference.

Unfortunately the Harley shield doesn't let you adjust pretty much anything; you can't change the angle and it doesn't have vents. You can actually adjust the height a little; I'd recommend trying pushing it as low as you can get it. The most ideal situation I've found so far for decreased noise while getting the wind off the chest is with a steeply raked shield that's quite low, it pushes the wind up off my chest but lets the helmet ride in clean smooth-flowing air. I couldn't get the Harley shield low enough for my taste, but you're quite a bit taller than I am, so perhaps you'll find a satisfactory solution with the shield at its lowest possible position. If that doesn't work, try raising it. You can raise it higher than Harley says, if you slide the turn signals down the fork a few inches you can mount the top windshield bracket above the turn signals.

What I found helpful was to try to gauge the approximate height needed by standing on the footpegs and raising my helmet up an inch at a time, to find where it needed to be to avoid the bad air. If you find that you're just an inch or two away from bliss, you can always try cutting the windshield height down a little (assuming that you can't get it to that point by just mounting it at a different height on the forks). Good luck!
post #3 of 12 Old 06-08-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I've moved it from the highest to the lowest, with pretty much the same result, but I never thought that maybe I need it even lower. I'm going to try your method of setting it to the lowest, and rising up on the foot pegs a little at a time. If it's way better I have no issues cutting down the windshield.

I thought about trying a deflector that clamps to the top of the windshield too, but most people complain that it blocks your vision.

I may be able to get longer bolts and spacers to make the shield more vertical too.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-08-2017, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Only one real solution

I hate to say this but my experience with these bikes is that only a fairing will work. I fiddled around for three months trying to get my H.D. OEM windshield to solve the head buffeting problem - No Joy.

Now I am running a Memphis Shades batwing fairing and it really works! And looks good too.

Critter
post #5 of 12 Old 06-09-2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
I hate to say this but my experience with these bikes is that only a fairing will work. I fiddled around for three months trying to get my H.D. OEM windshield to solve the head buffeting problem - No Joy.

Now I am running a Memphis Shades batwing fairing and it really works! And looks good too.

Critter
I did consider the batwing, but I got such a great deal on this windshield that I figured I'd give it a try. Good to hear that the batwing actually works, and I do like the looks.

I think the fact that you site on top of this bike, instead of down into it like a cruiser doesn't help.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-07-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
...If you find that you're just an inch or two away from bliss, you can always try cutting the windshield height down a little (assuming that you can't get it to that point by just mounting it at a different height on the forks). Good luck!
Thanks for this tip. I've been trying every position, stopping several times on the side of the road to raise or lower it 1/2" at a time. What's odd is if I put my hand lightly on my helmet, it's smooth and quiet as can be. It's like I needed just a small disruption in the air flow.

Anyway, I cut down. If I didn't get such a good price on it I probably wouldn't have. I actually took about 6" off the top. It's so much better now. It's mostly off my chest, hitting me around the shoulders. It's not a nice clean and quiet pocket like if I tucked in behind the windshield, but it's good enough for now. And I don't feel like I'm going to get blown off the bike at 70 MPH.

I need to sand it a little bit and even it out. Then I'm going to put a nice piece of rubber weather stripping around it to give it a more finished look.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-10-2017, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post

Critter
I can actually smoke a cigar riding behind my MS Batwing..and it comes off in 10 seconds if I want wind..awesome, awesome upgrade.

Debating on whether to paint it to match the bike or leave it black.

"Life is like a grindstone - it'll polish you up or grind you down, depending on what you're made of" - Unknown
post #8 of 12 Old 07-11-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
I can actually smoke a cigar riding behind my MS Batwing..and it comes off in 10 seconds if I want wind..awesome, awesome upgrade.

Debating on whether to paint it to match the bike or leave it black.
How did you determine what size windshield to order with it? Did you just go with "top of windshield level with nose" measurement?
post #9 of 12 Old 07-11-2017, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGBigelo View Post
How did you determine what size windshield to order with it? Did you just go with "top of windshield level with nose" measurement?
I ordered the 9" spoiler windshield, which is supposed to function like a regular windshield 2x its height..so same as an 18" regular. Wind blows way over the top of my helmet. I am 6' 0".

I also bought the optional lowers.

"Life is like a grindstone - it'll polish you up or grind you down, depending on what you're made of" - Unknown
post #10 of 12 Old 07-11-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
I ordered the 9" spoiler windshield, which is supposed to function like a regular windshield 2x its height..so same as an 18" regular. Wind blows way over the top of my helmet. I am 6' 0".

I also bought the optional lowers.
Perfect, thanks. I'm the same height.

By lowers, do you mean the wind deflectors for the batwing? I don't see the lowers in the application chart for the XG750.

Would love to see pics if you get a chance.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page