1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-16-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
First Long Ride

Yesterday I did a turnaround ride out of state . Around a 500 mile spin ,I was on the bike around 7 hrs only getting off to fuel & a 30 min. lunch . The only issue was a sore tail bone & a little vibration in the throttle side of the bars when running 80 mph . The entire trip was between 70 & 80 mph , there were two 100 mile stretches that I run 80 mph all the time . My bike has the tallboy seat on it because I am 6 ' - 1" at 195 lbs. I wounder if a different seat would help ? Also is there any help for the bar vibration to make these long rides more comfortably ?
NightWolf5 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-17-2017, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
As I understand it, the Street runs at relatively high RPM, as compared to, say a V Rod, and that is likely part of the issue. Other could be the type of asphalt and tires not in balance.

As far as the seat, I have a Mustand touring seat with a backrest and it is great (well, compared to factory). I also have a gel pad I can toss on it and that helps on really long rides.

"Life is like a grindstone - it'll polish you up or grind you down, depending on what you're made of" - Unknown
post #3 of 6 Old 07-17-2017, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Also is there any help for the bar vibration to make these long rides more comfortably ?
Kuryakyn ISO grips with bar end weights. Made a huge difference for me, I never get the numb hands/tingling fingers anymore from handlebar vibration.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-17-2017, 03:47 PM

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Congrats on the first long ride. My bike mostly does commuter duty, but I've made a couple of trips 200 miles out and then back a day or two later. At the end of it I'm always glad to put the bike away and sit on something that isn't moving. The vibration through the grips doesn't get to me, but yea, that seat gets pretty uncomfortable after the first 100 to 150 miles. Maybe I'll try the Road Zeppelin Seat Pad - Rider for the next long trip.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750
post #5 of 6 Old 07-17-2017, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
It also slipped my mind that you should check your tire pressure. Bikes, in general will lose about 1 lb of pressure per week, which will affect your ride because the tires were balanced at a certain inflation. For example, I replaced my Scorcher 11 tires with Michelin Commander IIs, which the Harley dealer advised should be set to 32 PSI in the front and 40 PSI in the rear (does not affect me as much because I use a liquid balancer - Ride-On), but as your tires deflate more of the tire is on the road to pick up more of the imperfections in the asphalt (I hate grooved concrete), and combined with the balance now being a tiny bit off, you might feel some vibration.

It may not seem like much, but I checked mine this morning and the front had dropped to 27 PSI and the rear to 35 PSI. Only seems like a couple of lbs of air pressure, but its actually a 16% deviation. The bike definitely rode smoother from the air fill-up than it did on the way there.

It is likely a combination of factors..

and check the tightness of your lugs just for safety.

"Life is like a grindstone - it'll polish you up or grind you down, depending on what you're made of" - Unknown
post #6 of 6 Old 07-17-2017, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Kuryakyn ISO grips with bar end weights. Made a huge difference for me, I never get the numb hands/tingling fingers anymore from handlebar vibration.
Thanks for all the replies & ideas on this subject ! I ordered a set of these grips & end weights , kinda pricey but will be worth it if they get rid of the vibration at speed !

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page