LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-29-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
A real buzz killer

Talk about great timing, I'm leaving for Sturgis next Thursday. I scheduled an oil change(6000 miles on bike) for this morning. Now I'll be able to drive to Sturgis and back with a fresh service. Halfway through the service the service manager comes up and tells me that I've got a cracked belt. The big long one that makes the back wheel go round. And guess what, they don't stock belts for street models. And its Saturday, four days before I leave for Sturgis. He said it was a minuscule crack but a crack nonetheless and no guarantee on the longevity of that belt. Not a whole lot of civilization between me and Sturgis and I **** sure don't want to throw a belt in the middle of nowhere. They said they would order the belt first thing Monday, and have it overnighted to the dealership. They did check and Harley does have the belt in stock in Milwaukee. He said they could schedule it for next Thursday morning. I told him that's when I was leaving for Sturgis. He went to work on his calendar and said they could get it in Wednesday at 1:30 PM. They estimated about an hour and a half to replace the belt. I have my fingers crossed that they can have this all done by Wednesday afternoon. He also told me that they would get it covered under warranty. That makes me about $300 happier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-29-2017, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Glad that it is being covered under warranty. Seems very odd that a belt would fail with that few miles.

2016 Street 750
post #3 of 8 Old 07-29-2017, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nollid51 View Post
Glad that it is being covered under warranty. Seems very odd that a belt would fail with that few miles.
Yeah he said it's very rare to see a belt fail like that. He said usually when you have a belt fail it's usually a rock or something getting tossed up in the belt. I didn't see the crack he was talking about but he said it was very small. It just makes me nervous to put another thousand miles or so on the bike. It's even more odd because I somewhat baby the bike.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-02-2017, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
thanks for the heads up i'm gonna order myself a spare just in case ive already got a spare headlight bulb and a taillight s'good to be prepaired 2015 xg 500 792 miles

madmike norfolk va 2015 street 500, 2009 yamaha vino

Last edited by madmike; 08-02-2017 at 10:37 PM. Reason: incomplete
post #5 of 8 Old 08-03-2017, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
thanks for the heads up i'm gonna order myself a spare just in case ive already got a spare headlight bulb and a taillight s'good to be prepaired 2015 xg 500 792 miles
Two hours to fix, $0 charge, (Warranty). They said it was a miniscule crack across the face of the belt. Who knows how long it would have lasted. I just didn't want to take a chance on it, especially since warranty covered it. leaving early tomorrow for Sturgis, weather permitting. Rains in the forecast till mid morning. Last year, same thing, & ended setting up camp partly in the dark .
post #6 of 8 Old 08-03-2017, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Why would you not ask to see what he was talking about?
post #7 of 8 Old 08-05-2017, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Hope your ride to Sturgis is an enjoyable one Corky and take a lot of photos for those of us that won't be attending it. My brother & I are planning on going next year.

2015 Street 750 Modifications-Krator Black Mirror Relocation Arms, Wisamic-5-3/4" 5.75" Round LED Headlight, Harley-Davidson Black Billet Aluminum Seat Bolt, H-D Screaming Eagle Spark Plugs, 10mm Screaming Eagle Plug Wires and Firebrand Loose Cannon Slip-on Exhaust

Last edited by SgtTDC; 08-05-2017 at 09:06 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-14-2017, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtTDC View Post
Hope your ride to Sturgis is an enjoyable one Corky and take a lot of photos for those of us that won't be attending it. My brother & I are planning on going next year.
Thanks.....had a blast. Next year I'll be trailering my street. Too small for me (large) & all my camping gear (also large). Ended up shipping back the camping gear, that helped, but still kinda crowded. By the time I broke camp, & shipped the gear it was after noon. With all the fuel stops & the like its still an 8-9 hour drive. Gave up 75 miles from home & got a motel. It was getting cold, it was getting dark, the deer were out & about, & I was shot. Got the best nights sleep of the whole trip. Pictures will be coming. Hope you make it next year as its well worth it. Some of the best riding in the country.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page