4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 03-18-2014, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question A Very Long Trip

I may be new here but i got this crazy idea of doing a very long trip on my street 750 after getting it, with You Harley riders i have heard of the HOG rally taking place so i was thinking why can't we go further ? Like a trip till somewhere in Europe from India.I mean i have no experience in such long riding but i seen in the ad of royal enfield conti gt coming from London to Chennai,if they can do it why can't we ????? Any senior Harley owners care to discuss in this topic can you enlighten me
HarleyVest likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-18-2014, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
A trip from India all the way over to Europe? What countries would you pass through in order to get to Europe? There are some dangerous zones in between India and Europe.

The idea behind this is great though. I bet you would have a really great experience.

How long do you think the entire trip would take?
post #3 of 18 Old 03-18-2014, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
i saw in this site a fairly good details on how it can be done from goa to germany India to Germany Overland Bike Tour they have estimated approx 6 weeks time

post #4 of 18 Old 03-18-2014, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
planning, preperation, planning, preperation, and an iron bottom
Dave013 likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 03-18-2014, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
any pointers you could give ? has somebody undertaken this journey ??? if so guide us pls
post #6 of 18 Old 03-18-2014, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Correct me If i'm wrong but you will have pass through entire middle-east unless you bypass that via sea. There is a good chance you might vanish like that malaysian airplane halfway through the journey I also doubt pakistan will issue transit passes easily. Then comes afghanistan.

More than anything else , you must know how to service your bike and prepare for the worst - that includes everything from weather , local resistance , breakdown , getting robbed . Also if you are in a group , be open to the idea of cannibalism . That can be the difference between survival and ending up as dinner.

Last edited by basuroy; 03-18-2014 at 01:58 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-18-2014, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
of course going in a group is far better and safe we can help each other and all and yeah lots of problems to face but it'll be one of a kind experience.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-18-2014, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Try a long trip or two in the US and work out all of your methods and equipment before tackling third world crap holes by motorcycle. The bike I rode to work today has had eleven foreign countries pass under it's drain plug, and I owned an R80G/S when I lived in Australia and toured much of that country by motorcycle. Btw, Aussie is tough work to tour. Most of it is undeveloped and you never, ever under any circumstances pass by fuel. Sometimes you run out of fuel even when you don't pass a fuel stop, petrol bowsers (their term) are so far apart in the Outback.

You want some experience touring a halfway civilized country so you have places to bail out and adequate cell phone coverage so you can dig yourself out of unexpected situations in places that aren't so dangerous before you try your luck on some of the third world crap holes, Russia included and maybe especially, that lie between Europe and India.

I had both North America and Europe under my belt before I tried my hand touring Australia and found out the first day that nothing I knew or thought I knew about touring prepared me for trying to ride a motorcycle across Australia. The distances, the heat, unavailability of water for long distances, no shade anywhere, 240 kms between gas stops, can't ride at night because of the big critters on the road (you do not want to hit an emu on a motorcycle). Take that and add additional layers of corrupt officials, bandits, and maybe even people who want you dead simply because of the color of your skin or the name of the country on your passport, and gas that may or may not be good, water that will make you sick and food that may or may not kill you. You might want to practice your long distance touring skills in a safer place first. Just saying ...........
autonut and Dave013 like this.

I live in a parallel universe but have a vacation home in reality.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-18-2014, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the great advice
post #10 of 18 Old 03-19-2014, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
"Take that and add additional layers of corrupt officials, bandits, and maybe even people who want you dead simply because of the color of your skin or the name of the country on your passport, and gas that may or may not be good, water that will make you sick and food that may or may not kill you."

Ha ha, sounds like you visited Sydneys western suburbs when you were here

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page