300 miles and it's in for the 3rd time. - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old 10-25-2017, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
300 miles and it's in for the 3rd time.

So far not so good with my new Street 750. At 150 miles I reported an oil leak, it was cleaned up and returned to me. At 200 the leak was pretty bad so it went in for 2 weeks while they replaced the rear timing chain tensioner, as well as resealing the water pump as it was leaking as well. They had to reset the timing so new valve cover gasket, fresh oil, filter and also adjusted the clutch again to address why it wasn't shifting into first very easily. So I got it back last week before the storm hit on Thursday. We finally a small break in the weather Monday, to at least top the tank off with some hot mix to stabilize the fuel for the winter, , so all I did was 12 miles to the ethanol free station and back.

Yesterday the sun pops out and we get a decent chilly, but rideable day so I hop on, and run north to pick up a few things for my daily. I decided to take the scenic way home down thru the twistes to put a few more miles on. I rode maybe 75 miles or a bit more. When I got home I get off, shed my cold weather gear and go back to push the bike inside, and I noticed the entire area is soaked in oil again. I pull the upper side cover off, and again my coolant level is slowly dropping. I didn't remove the belt cover this time, I just hopped on and rode it directly back to the dealer.

I forgot they are on winter hours in service, W-S, now but at least I was able to drop it off. I chatted with the salesman I got the bike from and he's not too happy as well and helped me get the bike checked in and made sure it would be on the lift today, because he agrees it's BS and they have never had a 750 with this issue.

As before I was thinking the head gasket was leaking. But the tech sprayed down the area with a white powder and said it was only the tensioner. This time it's fairly obvious that it's the head gasket. Sadly nothing's in stock as before and it will be 7-10 days as they only work Wed-Sat during the winter, for parts.

Only 314 miles on my new 750 and it's spent more time in their shop as it has mine in the last month I've owned it. I even had a difficult time sleeping as now I am hoping the rest of the bike is sound. I am almost to the point of asking of they just can't buy it back or trade for an 883 they have. Something is bugging me that I don't want a problem child. I just want a bike to ride and enjoy, as sadly my riding days are slowly coming to an end in a few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 10-25-2017, 03:57 PM

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Ouch! You might want to start looking into whether your state has a lemon law that extends to motorcycles.

You may be able to escalate this problem within the dealership. I'm thinking that you may be able to go to the sales manager and make the case that they have sold you a motorcycle that can't be ridden and it has cost you a certain amount of money, time and frustration. Put the onus on them to come up with a solution if the service department can't fix the bike this time.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750
post #3 of 51 Old 10-25-2017, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Mine was in the shop twice, Within 1800 Miles for an Oil Leak. Coming from the Rear Cylinder Cover. Dripping on the Belt Guard both times. When they did the Cover Gasket, Harley requires the Hardware to be replaced as well.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200

post #4 of 51 Old 10-25-2017, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I escalated it with the owner. I wasn't too happy when I was told today that no one can look at it till the first as pretty much everyone was out training. So he lit a fire under in the Service dept and it's been cleaned up again and ridden again tomorrow to diagnose the leak. Even the one knowledgeable person that was there thinks it's the head gasket. I even discussed a possible buyback or trade to an 18 when they get one in. Will see, I guess. I have heard ugly things about the lemon law here in my state.
post #5 of 51 Old 10-28-2017, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Was called today, and was given an update. They took it out for 15 miles and came back no leak. So they let it sit overnight to heat cycle and took it out again, another 15 miles and it's leaking from the output shaft behind the front pulley. And somehow it's making its way clear up up the area of the tensioner again. While my gut says it's not the other leak I'll give them the time to repair this seal as well. Talking with the Owner I mentioned just walking away at this point of it doesn't cure the leaks. I really hope the rest of the bike is sound. We chatted for a bit, discussed a trade to an 18 when one comes in and I brought up for the same price they have a nice used 07 Superglide on the floor for the same price. So will see if the leak is actually cured. And no matter the weather when I get it back I'll be putting 100 miles on it to make darn sure it's not weeping from the base gasket. And they feel it's not leaking coolant as they can't seem to find a coolant leak even though my tank dropped another 3/4".. dang dealer has just about put more miles on my bike diagnosing this issue than I've been able to ride it.
04ctd likes this.
post #6 of 51 Old 10-28-2017, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Dang dude, I hope they get it sorted out. I am a firm believer in breaking in a motor the way you intend to run it. That frame of mind has never let me down. I do this to also bring light to any issues like what you are having early on.

'06 VRSCR
'10 XR1200
'14 FXDL
'18 FXFBS
post #7 of 51 Old 10-29-2017, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I think if you are nice to the ppl at the dealer, you will be OK.

I would ask about a "win win" situation where you trade it in & get a SCREAMING deal on something else, and they get to get rid of a bike that is hard to sell.

I did this with a 2015 HD, when they got the 2018's in, just to get a 2017 off his floor plan.

they will make DEALS if you are nice to them. just ask THEM to figure out a deal you can live with, payment wise & all else.

a Sportster is NOT the answer, a Street 750 is a better bike than a Sportie, in most ways.
a used Big Twin would be NICE, but take a close look at the value they put on it.

if it is Winter there, they may be encouraged to flip a bike to you cheaply.

pray about it. prayer changes things.
post #8 of 51 Old 11-02-2017, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Still sitting at the dealer waiting on parts. The one tech came back from training and is pretty sure it's leaking where we both think it is. There is no way oil from the output shaft is making it up to the rear cylinder. They are hardly getting the bike warmed up before diagnosing. I'm beyond upset at this point. As once it's fixed I'll have to ride it another 50-70 miles to know it's most likely still leaking. Also at this point the dealer has put more miles on my bike than I have.

Purchased with 66 miles on it. First appt was at 145 miles, cleaned up, tested returned with 165 miles. Returned again with 233 miles still leaking badly. Repairs made returned with 255 miles. Ride bike to 314 miles still leaking. Now it has 350 miles on it from diagnosing.

They didn't like it when I said I just wanted to walk at this point. Buy me out, trade me out, I'm just not comfortable at this point. Well I got was a well let's try fixing it first. Well guys you have had it a month now. No parts in stock, parts backordered no clue when they will arrive, and now I've missed 3 decent riding days, and I couldn't even be given a demo to ride?

I'm to the point now where I want to trade it for a 07 super glide on the floor, with new tires and stock exhaust put back on. They are "considering" it but that was last week. It's either that or buy it out or give me a screaming deal on the last 17 street rod they have in the corner.

So right now I'm looking at late next week or the week of Thanksgiving to get it back.
post #9 of 51 Old 11-02-2017, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Mine was in the shop Twice for the Rear Cylinder Cover leaking onto the Belt Guard. I see HD still has the same problem. Not getting parts to the dealer. As they always seem to be B/O.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #10 of 51 Old 11-02-2017, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Update today. All parts are in. No one to work on it till late next week. They are trying to convince Harley to just replace the head gasket and be done with it. Both the service tech, the sales manager and I all know it's leaking. But since the powder spray isn't showing a leak they are not wanting to cover it. I explained it won't show up till the bike is fully hot and ridden 50 miles or so.

On the flip we did discuss a trade, and I rode the Super glide they had to a big nope. If they put it back to stick maybe. Awful aftermarket bars, crazy aftermarket forward controls and the python exhaust was deafening. The Kuryakyn Hypercharger didn't even work. So right now they have a possible Dyna Wide Glide they want me to look at this weekend. It's a 103ci, all.stock but has 18k miles for an 09. So the only other trade is for a Street Rod, but they want another $1k on top of what I already owe so no deal. So it's just wait and see if they can't just fix it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page