Was fun, but my back said no. - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

4Likes
  • 2 Post By hilleyja
  • 2 Post By Gaijin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-22-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Was fun, but my back said no.

Well I sold my Street 750 two days ago, after owning it for a mere 6 weeks. I loved it, but the suspension, even after all the upgrades (see my long thread), didn't work for my back. I commuted a few days and ended up unable to sleep that night due to back pain.

So, after shopping around for the cushiest ride I could find in a motorcycle (adventure bikes being the preferred class, I suppose big tourers could work too, but you can't commute/lane-split on those)...

I bought a BMW F700GS, smoothest ride I ever had on a motorcycle, the Triumph Tiger 800 (2nd place winner) had a nicer engine, but the suspension was a cut below the BMW, I wish I could get the Triumph engine in the BMW chassis. :-) If I wanted to sink $2k into the Triumph for a full set of Ohlins I am told that might do it, but I went for the sure-thing, one test ride and it was true love.

Anyway, so long, I enjoyed being a HOG rider, even if it was only a few weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-28-2018, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I am hoping this wont be the case for me. My back is fairly messed up, and numerous tumors.. the few trips i took before winter hit I seemed to do okay, but over the winter now i went to the TallBoy Seat as in 5'11" and am working on a few other comfortable mods. I am looking at the Ohlins upgrades if its too stiff. AS long as I can ride it 20 miles a day to the gym and back, ill be really good. I went from a Evo Road King with 60k miles on it, to a C90 Boulevard and they were just so darn heavy and obnoxious in low speed parking maneuvers and local runs so why I went with the 750 myself, I looked at the Bolt as well as a GS650 but i got the best deal on the street. have fun with the BMWs its a cult and dont forget BMW means Bring More Wumpum, and Bring Mechanic Wallet...LOL ive owned 4 BMWs over the years.. Enjoy!
post #3 of 5 Old 03-01-2018, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
The Streets were not designed for long-haul driving; my rear-end lasts about 50 miles before it starts to tell me to stop somewhere. I knew that before I bought my Street 750 in June 2016 (have 1600 miles on almost 2-year old bike). My long-haul driving is done on a 2014 Victory Cross Country.
PugslyCat and Big Rus like this.

post #4 of 5 Old 03-01-2018, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
The stock seat is definitely not designed for long haul. I put the Mustang Touring seat on, and did 180 mile days with no problems whatsoever. I think 300-mile days would be do-able on a Street. I don't know that I'd want to try 500-mile days on one. But the seat made a difference in the ability to go longer.
PugslyCat and Big Rus like this.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-01-2018, 01:06 PM

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilleyja View Post
The Streets were not designed for long-haul driving; my rear-end lasts about 50 miles before it starts to tell me to stop somewhere..
I second that thought. I forget how many times I rode my bike out to the farm, 200 miles away, last summer. That fuel stop in the middle was always a long one due to the need to stretch. Hopefully the Tuffside padded seat cover and highway pegs may help, once they are installed.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page