Lifting front of bike for maintenance - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-13-2018, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lifting front of bike for maintenance

Sorry if I am repeating an old thread, looking for ideas on the best way to lift the front of the bike.

I bought the Free Spirits triple tree upgrade and am looking to install, but need to remove the wheel and front forks. Any suggestions? I've done auto work plenty but my first/only attempt to use a car jack almost tipped my XG over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-13-2018, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Use a Motorcycle Jack. Either the Hydraulic lift. Which will pick up the entire bike. Or one of the Screw type jacks that will pick up one end. I have on occasion cheated and used a Hydraulic Car Jack and a piece of wood. To cross the frame rails. NOTE: This is Dangerous. As this method will allow the bike to fall over.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #3 of 12 Old 02-13-2018, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Looks like I can grab a wheel chock for the rear from Harbor Freight for around $40, would this plus car jack get me by? or still dangerous?

Want to save $$ but don't want to tip the bike (I've done that enough riding it!)

post #4 of 12 Old 02-13-2018, 04:35 PM

Garage
I had the Triple Tree off mine. When I dropped the gas cap. And had to replace the entire lockset. I used a Screw Type jack and picked up the front. When I went to reinstall, I had to adjust the height. To take pressure off the front forks. Then bopped it back on with a rubber mallet.

2018 Custom 1200
post #5 of 12 Old 02-13-2018, 04:36 PM

Garage
Maybe you should get some help to hold the bike upright. Might cost you lunch.

2018 Custom 1200
post #6 of 12 Old 02-13-2018, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One motorcycle shop used a strap run under the frame between the gas tank and steering head that was attached to a block and tackle to raise bikes for fork rebuilds.
PugslyCat likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-14-2018, 12:23 AM

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanIII View Post
One motorcycle shop used a strap run under the frame between the gas tank and steering head that was attached to a block and tackle to raise bikes for fork rebuilds.
Even if you aren't lifting the bike that way, it sounds like a reasonable precaution to take to prevent a drop in the shop.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750
post #8 of 12 Old 02-14-2018, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Pick up a low cost motorcycle lift/jack .Plenty out there that are effective and affordable. good to have a round if you own a bike anyway. If you can pull the front end off a Touring bike or Softail on one you can surely do anything you want with a Street one one. To be safe always strap a bike to the lift. Once up ensure lift in locked at the height. Then just so you sleep good block back wheel. Do not hang it from a strap over head.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/24mbioR]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JGssF6]
post #9 of 12 Old 02-14-2018, 07:03 PM

Garage
I bought a Craftsman Aluminum Alloy unit. 3/4 ton capacity. Probably about 4 years ago. Got it On Sale. Has never failed me. I have picked up a 2010 Yamaha Majesty and my Street 750. Comes with Ratchet Straps. And an Important Safety Lock. Which wont allow the Jack to go down incase of Hydraulic Failure. Or if you inadvertently turn the Release Handle when moving. I made an adapter to pick up the front end of a Lawn Tractor. Made so it will grab the frame. And still allow the wheels to move freely. My father has used it several times to change the blades on his JD 42" Tractor.

If you do buy a Hydraulic Jack, I recommend staying with a brand Name. Craftsman is good. I Don't trust Harbor Freight for something like that. Their Wheel Chock works good. Front tire of the Street is a little skinny for it.

2018 Custom 1200
post #10 of 12 Old 02-16-2018, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsonmax1 View Post
I bought a Craftsman Aluminum Alloy unit. 3/4 ton capacity. Probably about 4 years ago. Got it On Sale. Has never failed me. I have picked up a 2010 Yamaha Majesty and my Street 750. Comes with Ratchet Straps. And an Important Safety Lock. Which wont allow the Jack to go down incase of Hydraulic Failure. Or if you inadvertently turn the Release Handle when moving. I made an adapter to pick up the front end of a Lawn Tractor. Made so it will grab the frame. And still allow the wheels to move freely. My father has used it several times to change the blades on his JD 42" Tractor.

If you do buy a Hydraulic Jack, I recommend staying with a brand Name. Craftsman is good. I Don't trust Harbor Freight for something like that. Their Wheel Chock works good. Front tire of the Street is a little skinny for it.
The cheap Harbor freight one will work for most peoples needs. The major differences is flexibility. Lifts/jacks like the J&S are far better , they roll easier ect. But for a Street and if cost is a concern the Harbor freight will work just fines.
In the above pictures the FB is sitting on one of them. It was on it all winters while I did some work on it. Sometimes a $400 lack is just not necessary.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page