2016 Harley Street 750 Oil Light Problem - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-29-2018, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2016 Harley Street 750 Oil Light Problem

Hi! I live in Hangzhou, China and have recently bought a used 2016 Harley Davidson Street 750 with 6800km on the clock, so lately the oil light has been flashing when I stop at red lights and idle after about 40km of riding in 32 degrees celsius. When I give it a little gas it stops flashing. It's still under warranty so I took it to the HD dealer, and they can't seem to fix the problem completely. The Harley mechanic told me it was fixed so I went and picked up the bike, on the way home, just after 10km, the oil light came flashing again, along with the engine light on too. So took it back and they found it was the O2 sensor that failed. Now they've replaced the O2 sensor, but the oil light still flashes. I saw on their diagnostics screen when the bike was connected there were 2 Xs on where it said "fuel injection", all the rest are checked green. So I left the bike with them...again...and it's been a week now, and I don't know if they haven't been checking or simply just can't find the cause of the problem, every time I call they'd just tell me they're still checking. Anyway, the oil level was always ok, and the bike ran good. Except I noticed that when I let go of the clutch and just let the bike move on it's own without giving it gas it jerks quite a bit. This is my first HD so I don't know if it's normal on HD bikes. I always had Japanese bikes before and it sure wasn't like this on those bikes. So if anyone who knows anything what might be the cause of the problem could help out here please, thanks soooo much!!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-29-2018, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
My first question is about the Oil and Filter. Correct Weight and Filter? There is a Port on the side of the Engine to check the Oil PSI.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #3 of 7 Old 06-29-2018, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hi there, thanks for replying!
so, the oil that was in there when I got the bike was HD oil, so I think 20w40, not sure, but they said the previous owner took the bike back for 2000km maintenance, so the filter and oil should be HD original.
The day I picked up the bike, and rode home for about 10km I noticed the oil light started blinking, but it was only for a few seconds. I called Harley and they told me to check the oil level. The oil level was good, so I figured maybe it'd be best to just changed out the old oil, it was due for oil change pretty soon anyway, so I took it to my local garage and had them put in some new oil (Voltronic 10W40) to see if it would stop the light from blinking, but they didn't have the HD filter. Now the mechanic, he didn't know how much to put in, so we checked the specs of the bike online, and it said 3.1 litres, which I later found in the manual it's 2.4 litres. So the next day I took out 700ml of oil. So it's new oil now, at the correct level, but the oil light still blinks...I told the HD mechanic to check oil PSI, but he was a little ticked off, I guess the HD mechanics in this country don't like customers who knows a little about their bikes. So I'm just at the same time dealing with bad service and maybe lack of knowledge and cocky attitude here...

post #4 of 7 Old 07-01-2018, 03:57 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Keep pushing them Mike. Without H-D bikes being sold, they would be out of work. A letter back to H-D in America would also be a good idea, so they know what is happening in overseas dealerships..

2015 Street 750 Vivid Black
post #5 of 7 Old 07-09-2018, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hey thanks man! Ya I'm planning to do that. They found the problem, now they telling me it'll take 1-2 months to get the part. Guess I'll just have to wait and at the same time pressure them....
post #6 of 7 Old 07-10-2018, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry to hear about your problems. Keep pressure on them especially if your bike is still covered under warranty. Once you're out of the box you are on your own.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-22-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Edgar! Hoping that I don't have to email HD in the states about it

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page