Is the Street family about to grow a lot? - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

8Likes
  • 4 Post By Gaijin
  • 1 Post By Phil13
  • 1 Post By PugslyCat01
  • 1 Post By Phil13
  • 1 Post By smitty901

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-30-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Is the Street family about to grow a lot?

Harley just put out an announcement about new models coming in the next couple of years. The interesting part to me was this:
Quote:
Introducing a new modular 500cc to 1250cc middleweight platform of motorcycles that spans three distinct product spaces and four displacements, starting with the company’s first Adventure Touring motorcycle, the Harley-Davidson™ Pan America™ 1250, a 1250cc Custom model and a 975cc Streetfighter model

So, a modular 500cc to 1250cc platform, consisting of four displacements... they already have 500 and 750cc, and they talk about a 975 and 1250cc. The bikes look like water-cooled twins, so... perhaps these bikes will utilize upsized versions of the Revolution X engine?

Three prospective models were shown: the Pan American adventure bike, a "future naked streetfighter", and a "future custom model".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-31-2018, 03:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
That's an interesting bit of info Gaijin, I wonder if the Sportster is getting a new engine as well? The Evo must be knocking on 30 plus years now. They'll be damned fools if they don't take advantage of that sweet little power plant AKA the Revolution X !
PugslyCat01 likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-31-2018, 01:40 PM

Location: I split my time between rural central Iowa and rural southwest Iowa
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil13 View Post
I wonder if the Sportster is getting a new engine as well? The Evo must be knocking on 30 plus years now.
There was considerable speculation about the Sportster being due for retooling coinciding with the relocation of the assembly line from Kansas City to York. The two larger engines would seem to be in the right size range.

It would be really interesting if these modular engines aren't something new, but the Revolution engines. And if the Sportster were retooled to use them it would be quite conceivable that we could see some 500 and 750 cc cruiser bikes to compete with the likes of the V-star 650 or the Honda Rebel and Shadow. To be honest, I really like those other bikes just because the riding position is less cramped than on the xg750.

For some time now I've thought that H-D should revive the Buell badge to build sport bikes, but also ADV bikes like the Pan America. I guess they figured out that they need to diversify the product line and don't see the need to do it under another name.

My thinking was that they should also come up with a third badge to build other bikes. I was thinking of bikes smaller than Sportsters or in other ways distinctly unlike their current product line. This could include dirt bikes, tiny cruisers, or even (gasp) things like scooters without v-twin engines.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-31-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
They did a scooter once...
https://www.neatorama.com/2011/04/30...idson-scooter/

I think part of the reason for discontinuing Buell, and why they wouldn't come up with a second or third badge, is because Harley is about selling a lifestyle and all the branded clothing and equipment and knicknacks that go with it. The "faithful" will resent new riders coming into the family, but Harley has said that they need to build 2 million new riders and I don't think they want to lose out on the brand familiarity. Frankly I think they're looking more to the Apple model, they want folks to be indoctrinated and breathe Harley through and through. Just my take on it, anyway.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-01-2018, 04:52 PM

It's exactly because of the "faithful" H-D cruiser riders that I just supposed that they would have to come up with another badge for other types of riders. I really can't say that I've been actively shunned by other H-D riders, but I haven't exactly been warmly embraced, either.

The other thing that H-D needs to deal with is that they pretty much have all the market that's going to breathe Harley through and through. They need to sell to "the other" without necessarily having the follow on sales of trinkets or possibly even accessories. As for your comparison to Apple, their fan boys would probably buy a used iDiaper mk 2 if it had the logo on it.

Another issue that H-D is going to need to contend with is that in other segments of the motorcycle market the buyers expect to buy something pretty useable right off the showroom floor. Take our mirrors for example. I'm pretty ticked off that I should have to buy an off the shelf part that H-D already has to get useable mirrors on my bike. For a lot of buyers, that's enough to go to another brand of bike.
Corey Muller likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-01-2018, 10:48 PM

Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Garage
It is my opinion that the reason Harley Davidson is going small is because of this motorcycle handing HD riders their back sides.

https://goo.gl/images/4TrNzR
post #7 of 10 Old 08-02-2018, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugslyCat01 View Post

Another issue that H-D is going to need to contend with is that in other segments of the motorcycle market the buyers expect to buy something pretty useable right off the showroom floor. Take our mirrors for example. I'm pretty ticked off that I should have to buy an off the shelf part that H-D already has to get useable mirrors on my bike. For a lot of buyers, that's enough to go to another brand of bike.
Very good point there Paul, can anyone imagine the proud owner of a new gixxer thou accepting the Suzuki salesman saying, 'Well there's your bike, oh, by the way, if you want it to actually do 173 mph and 0 to 60 in 3 seconds you will need to spend £££££ extra? Perhaps that's now set to change with these new offerings.

I hope that these new models work for Harley, but they will need to produce bikes that can compete on price first and foremost. Cvo / limited edition / big twin with all the bells and whistles buyers may be prepared to pay a premium for their bikes, but your average Street Fighter hooligan? Nah, he or she will put their money on Kawasaki or one of the other Japanese offerings that fit the bill and fit their pocket.

Being the producer of premium brand motorcycles is a bit of a double edge sword in my opinion, especially when you're trying to get into the more everyday motorcycle markets.
Corey Muller likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-02-2018, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo750owner View Post
It is my opinion that the reason Harley Davidson is going small is because of this motorcycle handing HD riders their back sides.

https://goo.gl/images/4TrNzR
Yep, I think that may well have caused a few palpitations in HD headquarters. It will be interesting to see if it will survive being made road legal without losing that lean mean look.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-02-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil13 View Post
I hope that these new models work for Harley, but they will need to produce bikes that can compete on price first and foremost. Cvo / limited edition / big twin with all the bells and whistles buyers may be prepared to pay a premium for their bikes, but your average Street Fighter hooligan? Nah, he or she will put their money on Kawasaki or one of the other Japanese offerings that fit the bill and fit their pocket.
Harley already has a prodigious amount of the market in the United States. That current base includes most of the "Lifestyle" bikers which H-D likes because they keep coming back for everything from bar and shield shot glasses to Screaming Eagle boxer shorts. Although licensed products are a major source of revenue for the Motor Company, that doesn't boost global market share of bike sales. Most of the market share they don't have isn't into the trinkets and just wants to buy a motorcycle and be done with it. Maybe they'll go for some stylish mods to the bike, but maybe not.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-04-2018, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
World has been changing and HD needs to go with it in a world wide market. While some of us embraced the Street other rejected it. The Street Rod was an improvement but more is needed. The Revolution engine is a platform they will build on. It has room to grow.

The Pan American that is coming is clearly one designed to appeal to the BMW market of dual purpose bikes. It may not covert a die hard BMW rider but could well appeal to riders entering that market.
HD has also been about the best in making a bikes that share parts over a wider model range that others.
Solo750owner likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page