Moving-taking bike in truck. - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-02-2018, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Moving-taking bike in truck.

I am moving to Georgia, renting a truck and taking the bike down. I am just wondering what is the best way to tie it down. I am a little concerned about using tie downs at the handlebars, afraid of damaging the wires. Could I tie it down at the lower fork clamp around the fork. Also should I leave it on the side stand or is it best to keep it straight.

Thank You

Sterling Wardell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-02-2018, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do not leave it on the side stand, the bike is going to bounce on the suspension. The handle bars will give you the best leverage to tie it down, just don't get any of the wiring under the straps. You will also have to tie the rear of the bike down. The tie downs should compress the suspension both front and rear but not completely. And last you must tie or brace the tires to keep them moving sideways.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-03-2018, 12:59 PM

Location: I split my time between rural central Iowa and rural southwest Iowa
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Is the idea to have a truck just for the bike or to pack your belongings around the bike in the back of the truck? Packing belongings around the bike can be problematic. I'd really recommend putting the bike on a trailer behind the truck rather than having it the truck with your belongings.

My bike has been on a trailer a couple of times. Normally I get the U-Haul motorcycle trailer that has a wheel chock built in. I run ratchet straps with soft ties to the tops of the forks, tightening them enough to cause the bike to stand upright. Then raise the kick stand. The bike isn't going to fall over.

At the back I attach straps to the sari guards that keep the soft saddle bags out of the rear wheels. I've seen other people run the straps to the frame above the passenger foot pegs or do a few wraps around the rear wheel.

Although the bike won't fall over, it will jiggle a bit as the suspension compresses on bumps. Check the ties and how the bike is riding a couple of times in the first 25 miles and every hundred miles after that.

You may want to consider attaching a wheel chock and a few eye bolts to a sheet of plywood. You would basically be making a pallet to load your bike on that would have its own tie down points.

Revzilla has some suggestions:
https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...e-into-a-truck

Wikihow has some suggestions as well:
https://www.wikihow.com/Haul-a-Motorcycle
https://www.wikihow.com/Tie-Down-a-Motorcycle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page