Bought a Sportster 1200 Custom - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-15-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Location: I split my time between rural central Iowa and rural southwest Iowa
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bought a Sportster 1200 Custom

It's my second season of riding the xg750 and I've decided I would like a larger bike for some rides. A deal came along on a 2007 Sportster 1200 Custom that seemed good to me, so I picked up a 2007 garage queen with only 3800 miles. As Google gives them up in a format that can be posted here, I'll supply a picture.

The Street 750 is going to stay in the stable for at least a year and probably two. It will continue to see commuter duty most days and my brother can ride it when he comes up from Kansas City. Eventually I'd like to give it to my nephew, who expressed an interest in riding when I first looked into it back in 2014.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007 H-D Sportster 1200 Custom.jpg (218.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 2007 Sportster 1200 Custom.jpg (217.4 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by PugslyCat01; 08-15-2018 at 01:13 PM. Reason: add photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-15-2018, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Enjoy!! My 18 Custom 1200 has just over 1600 Miles now. Hard to ride it without Bags. And its Raining almost daily here in NJ. We have bad flooding in Several Counties. And a State of Emergency declared.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #3 of 11 Old 08-16-2018, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'm fortunate that this bike came set up very nearly like I would want. After I got it, I started looking at the cost of accessories and was blown away by the prices. We really are fortunate that what few accessories are available for the Street are as inexpensive as they are. I'm looking at things like leather saddle bags being $600 and up. That's the cost of Viking hard bags for the Street 750.

It came with bags, windshield, backrest and a package rack. That's pretty much everything I really wanted. My goal is to do some 200-300 mile trips on it in more comfort that the Street 750 provided.

It also comes with upgraded wheels and some trim pieces that I don't care so much about. I actually tried to trade the Willie G gas cap for a plain one, but the guy never called back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007 H-D Sportster 1200 Custom.jpg (218.3 KB, 10 views)

post #4 of 11 Old 08-16-2018, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I forgot to mention that it came with auxiliary lights that will come in handy.
The upgraded wheels are nice, but not something I would have spent the money on.
It also came with slip on exhaust. I don't think it's the full stage one, but I only have to buy the tuner and exhaust and I'm there. That's probably the only change I will make to it.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-17-2018, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
When I was in the local dealership he pointed out a very low mileage 2015 1200 Custom for around $4,100 less than the new one on the floor.

Tempting to say the least. Give us some feedback later on just how you adjusted from the 750 was to the 1200.

2015 Street 750 Vivid Black
post #6 of 11 Old 08-17-2018, 05:30 AM

Garage
1st thing I noticed. No 6th Gear. Shift points are different. Shakes a little more at idle. After 2015(I think it was) Harley changed the Suspension. So the newer models ride smoother.

2018 Custom 1200
post #7 of 11 Old 08-17-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The price on this bike is a little high for a 2007, but it has enough options on it to account for the higher than expected price. Out the door was still less than showroom price on my Street 750, which had been discounted about 20% from list. As the salesman said, if I bought all of those options he'd give me a free stripped down bike to put them on and still come out ahead on the deal.

At the start of my first test ride the extra shaking at idle had me alarmed, but it gets smoother as you ride.

The first Sportster I rode was a newer 1200 Custom. The ride was indeed better than the 2007 that I later purchased. In both cases the route went over some railroad tracks and a couple of bridges to see how the bikes handled bumps. The occasional kick in the seat to save $5k is worth it. The pre-load on the rear shocks should be checked and adjusted if necessary. It was previously owned by a couple that was doing some two up riding, so it should already be set up for my bulk. I'll check that at the dealership before loading the bike.

I kept going for sixth gear on the test rides, but then again, I keep looking for seventh on the Street. Obviously with fewer gears, more horsepower and more torque the shift points are going to have to change. The manual will supply some guidance. On test rides I pretty much guess the shift points by sound. Shifting whenever the engine got a little whiny seemed to work out to hitting top gear at 60-65 mph.

On the Street I was looking at adding highway pegs or forward controls, a Memphis Shades batwing fairing, and a Tuffside seat cover to make the bike more comfortable for the longer rides. All that adds up to a lot of money being spent on the little bike. This one comes with all of those comforts and achieves my goal of having a second bike. I think it is going to be a good decision in the long run. I'll keep you guys informed as I get some miles on the Sportster.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-18-2018, 03:55 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the feedback.

2015 Street 750 Vivid Black
post #9 of 11 Old 08-20-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I got the new bike home on Saturday and rode the 20 miles on Saturday and another 160 or so on Sunday. The Sportster weighs about 15% more than the Street, but that's enough to make it a bear getting it on and off the trailer, as well as difficulty backing it into a parking spot.

I've come to some realizations:

The fuel economy on the open road is as good or better than the Street. My guess is that the Street 750 is working hard to get my bulk up to 70 mph whereas the Sportster isn't working so hard.

Many of the rural gas stations don't have 91 octane gas. When they have it, expect to pay an extra 30-60 cents per gallon.

Parts for customizing the Sportster are much more plentiful from both H-D and aftermarket suppliers. They tend to be much cheaper from aftermarket suppliers. Some Sportster parts, like the Memphis Shades batwing fairing or some swing arm bags, work fine on the Street.

The rider feels much more heat off the engine on the Sportster than comes from the Street engine. I felt enough on a relatively cool day that I'm not looking forward to a long ride with temperatures over 90F.

I like the forward controls, as the Street riding position has always seemed cramped on longer trips. I still need to put the crash rods/highway pegs on that I got from ChadWilliam. Those may help on the Street.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-20-2018, 08:04 PM

Garage
Saturday I installed the HD Windshield on mine. Due to it being a XL1200C, I only had two choices in the Quick Release. 14 or 18". Got the 18" unit. The 14 stops at chest height. 18 is better. Havent had a chance to try it due to the rain on Sunday. A Birthday gift to myself.

2018 Custom 1200

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page