A little dissapointed to say the least! - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

14Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-30-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
A little dissapointed to say the least!

Well today was a day of very mixed emotions. I finally got Mrs B to pluck up the courage to hop on the back of my Street 750 and we had a very pleasant ride in the sunshine through the countryside in the Severn Valley around Bridgnorth.
We stopped for lunch at the Royal Oak in Wombourne where there were 3 x Harley Davidson riders with their bikes in the car park.
As I walked past I nodded and said 'Hi'. I wished I hadn't! I was answered not with a friendly nod and smile as expected but instead a load of banter that it would be difficult to type which involved sentences like - 'what the $*$* is that?', 'couldn't you afford a proper Harley?' and 'Have you stopped to top up your leaky radiator?' - these are the sentences that were not too offensive as others involved the slave labour that builds the bikes etc. etc.
Isn't it strange in a multi racial country such as England is now that even in the biking world there are a few numpties that seem to think that they are above everyone else because of the amount of money they are prepared to shell out for their bikes or because of the type of bikes they ride!
Needless to say the episode has now made my wife return her motorcycle helmet to the back of the wardrobe where it will likely remain!

Botty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-30-2018, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like a group of tossers to me - don't pay them any mind. Friendly ribbing is one thing, but being an ass only makes them look the a-holes they are.
Botty and Kevin Rogers like this.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-30-2018, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Just ride with the local HOG group. Its mostly Harleys fault. They advertise the XG Model as an Entry bike. Hard Core HD riders pick on the owners. My response was, Its Harleys Attempt to make a Metric bike. They see me on my 1200 Sporty, And leave me alone now.
Botty likes this.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200

post #4 of 15 Old 08-30-2018, 06:07 PM

Location: I split my time between rural central Iowa and rural southwest Iowa
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I wouldn't get real excited about it, unless your goal in life is to embrace the biker life and belong to an outlaw motorcycle gang. In that case, you really are going to need a different bike. Let's face it, our little Street series bikes are small, inexpensive, quiet, water cooled beginners bikes with no chrome. That pretty much everything the serious Harley/Victory/Indian riding biker types abhor.

I often call my xg750 my "Hardly-Davidson" and set my expectations appropriately. I don't see myself as a biker, per se, and don't think anybody else does either. I don't even try hard enough to be mistaken for a poser. I'm pretty sure that the sales guys at my local chapel are actually mocking me when they say I'm a VIP. If I'm a VIP I hate to think what the guy that buys a new CVO bike with all the goodies is considered.
Botty likes this.

Formerly known as "PugslyCat" until the account got locked.
2016 xg750 in Velocity Red
2007 Sportster 1200 Custom in blue and silver
post #5 of 15 Old 08-31-2018, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
It's your motorcycle, you like it, you ride it. Doesn't matter what those idiots think.

General perception of the so called Harley purists is that anything above dyna/softail series is true Harley. No need to worry about those poser bikers.
PugslyCat01 and Botty like this.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-31-2018, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I can live with it - just looked bad for my Mrs

Botty
post #7 of 15 Old 09-01-2018, 01:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
Botty once she reads through these replies, I am sure she will reach to the resting place of her helmet and give it a wipe down ready for the next ride.
Botty likes this.

2015 Street 750 Vivid Black
post #8 of 15 Old 09-01-2018, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I hope you are right - I like riding on my own but on a nice day it's good to have some company for a chat when you stop.

Life goes on anyway and I really don't give a toss what anyone thinks - I have the best wife in the world and also the best motorcycle in the world!
Propnut likes this.

Botty
post #9 of 15 Old 09-02-2018, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Garage
I got the same kind of crap from neighbors with the ultras when I first got my bike. So I let a couple them ride my motorcycle and put it through the its paces. They were very impressed as to how fast the bike could launch out from a stop. I live in Wisconsin and have attended some of the 115 Anniversary events. Seen old Harley Davidsons like a 250cc and 175cc. Those owners like the XG's. I have almost 30k miles on my 2015 XG750.
smitty901 and Botty like this.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-03-2018, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I ride what I ride. My 750 Street is a blast. Amazed at how often I take it instead of one of the others. There are rider's , Biker's and axxes you met the last ignore them.
PugslyCat01 and Botty like this.