LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-18-2018, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Question Lifting a motorcycle

Some of you may have seen my previous threads regarding this - I have purchased a bike lift and am very happy with it and use it regularily, even for just cleaning the wheels.

As this is a new bike and I am still at the stage where if a fly lands on it I get upset (those of you who have saved up 's for years to purchase a bike will know what I mean!) I am wondering if I am being a little over cautious with the lifting:

Instead of just putting the lift under the bike and lifting it up, I always ensure that there is some 'chocks' under the frame so that the bike is actually lifted on / by the frame.

Those of you that have tried to lift a Street will know what I mean when I say that if I just put the lift under the bike it will lift the bike by the engine.

So the question is, am I being over cautious and does it damage the bike / strain the mounting bolts, by lifting the bike by the engine and perhaps using the 'chocks' is the best method or can the bike be lifted by the engine?

Thanks in advance

Botty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-18-2018, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Couple of pieces of timber and lift the bike using the frame cradle is the way to go for the reasons you mention.
Big Rus, PugslyCat01 and Botty like this.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-18-2018, 05:08 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
I used a piece of wood to avoid scratching the frame. Never had a problem. Make sure the jack sticks out a little on both sides. This way you have full contact with the frame.
Big Rus, PugslyCat01 and Botty like this.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page