Question about speed dependent vibration - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-23-2018, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question about speed dependent vibration

Hi everyone,

I bought a 2017 street 500 that had only 40 miles on it the other. My ride home, which was a little over 100 miles revealed a weird issue that I want to see what everyone thinks. This lady bought it, had a scare, and then parked it in her garage since then, so it’s basically been sitting for almost 2 years.

Between 35-45 mph, the whole bike seems to vibrate really badly. Like up and down as though you were riding on a rough surface. Below 35, it’s clear and above 50 it’s clear. Being as it only had 40 miles an is still being broke in, I was trying to keep the rpms low so I didn’t check any higher speeds. It’s extremely noticeable and makes the bike kind of bounce up and down.
In some ways this seems like a tire balance issue, but I’m not entirely sure as all the wheel weights look like they’re in place. What do you guys think? Dealer can’t look at it for at least a week, so I’m just trying to get some thoughts.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-23-2018, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Make sure the tires are properly inflated.
Check the rotational direction of the tires, there is an arrow on the tire showing correct rotation direction.
If you can raise the bike and get the tires off the ground, one at time or both at once.
inspect tire tread looking for a bad section
rotate each tire looking for a flat spot
rotate each tire looking for a side to side movement
spin front tire looking for any shake

Also does the vibration go away above 45 mph?
post #3 of 5 Old 09-24-2018, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hi thank you!! I’ll try that. Yep above 45 it’s perfect and below 35 it’s perfect so it’s just that speed range.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-24-2018, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Since it only vibrates in a certain speed range it is likely out of balance, which will require rebalancing.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-24-2018, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
I had a very similar issue several years ago with a Suzuki Bandit that I purchased which had been standing unused for 18 months. It had been stored in a warm shed and not moved.

Tried everything and in the end I had to replace both tyres - it appears that as the bike had been standing for so long the heat / atmosphere had caused a 'flat spot' on the tyres - the are that had been in contact with the floor was noticeably 'flat'.

Changed the tyres and the bike went on to perform for 7 trouble free years until I sold it.

Worth remembering if you intend to store a bike for long period to lift the tyres / wheels off the ground or to move it every week or so to ensure the same area of tyre is not in contact with the floor.

Botty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page