User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-16-2018, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hey everybody!

My name is Keith McElhinney and I am the owner of a company called Altered State Design. Right now we make parts for the V-Rod but I am looking at getting some input on making parts for the Street. I noticed that there really isn't that many custom parts made for the Street and wondering what you guys would like to see made. I am not a large shop so swingarms or something very large isn't in my capabilities. You can check the parts I make for the V-Rod at https://www.alteredstatedesign.net/ for an idea of what I do now.

I would also be interested if anyone is in the State College,PA area would be able to help me with some prototyping/fitting since I don't own a Street (at this point). I would of course compensate you for it.

Thanks!
-Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-16-2018, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello Street Fans!

Hello Mr. McElhinney. Howabout some forward controls, side covers to replace the plastic ones, a more hip radiator cover, springer seat, spoke wheels ... just a few items that I would snatch up. Hooray for making things in the US of A!
post #3 of 7 Old 10-16-2018, 02:16 PM

Location: I split my time between rural central Iowa and rural southwest Iowa
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Taking a look at what you already make and are comfortable with, the forward controls, derby and sprocket covers and turn signals would all be welcome for the Street series of bikes.

Next I took a look at all the things that are available for slightly larger bikes, the Sportsters, that I'd like to have or would like to adapt a Sportster part to fit our bikes:
Saddle bag supports in black would be good. There are a lot of generic brackets out there in chrome, but that's not what I want for a blacked out bike.

How about a bracket for mounting the mirrors inverted as is done on some Sportsters? Several people have gone to the trouble of fabricating their own mounts and there always seems to be a lot of interest.

Some of the Sportster sissy bars often use side plates (sold separately) that attach with the fender bolts or use the docking points for removable accessories. You could make side plates that fit the Street series bikes that those H-D sissy bars would bolt into.

Speaking of sissy bars, the H-D one that bolts to the detachable package rack is ridiculously small. Making a slightly taller one would make it much easier to lash bags to when traveling.

An alternative to the ridiculously expensive H-D package rack itself would be nice. Some of the Sportster package racks attach to the side plates mentioned above.

A mounting platform for a Sportster tour pack would be nice.

Formerly known as "PugslyCat" until the account got locked.
2016 xg750 in Velocity Red
2007 Sportster 1200 Custom in blue and silver

post #4 of 7 Old 10-17-2018, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Forward controls would definitely be a great idea. Didn't know if people wanted the forwards or liked the mids.

For the mirror inverters, I take it that it is the signal that is in the way? Do you have a link or something that shows the bracket? This should be super easy if it is what I am thinking...

I make side plates now that mount to shock bolts but could definitely adapt it to go to different points.

I would love to make sissy bars but I am not a good enough welder. I have a buddy that is an amazing welder and I have talked to him about doing sissy bars, but he is busier than me. I try to pride myself it getting stuff done in a timely manner and am afraid of needing stuff from him and not getting it quick enough.

I don't do (and wouldn't do!) fiberglass work for radiator covers/etc. I have seen too much horrible fiberglass work and I won't be a guy that puts out subpar work just because nobody else is doing it.

Thanks guys I will looking into all of this, and keep the suggestions coming!
-Keith
post #5 of 7 Old 10-17-2018, 12:15 PM

Location: I split my time between rural central Iowa and rural southwest Iowa
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Yea, there's a demand for forward controls. Anybody taller than the average U.S. male finds the riding position a bit or a lot cramped with the mid controls. There are several shops from Asia selling forward controls on eBay with long waits and high prices. They are also pretty bland, whereas you seem to like to work on the aesthetics.

Here are some links to a few threads about the mirrors. A little looking will turn up more. I prefer my mirrors on top, I'm just saying that other guys have talked about this.
https://www.hdstreetforums.com/forum...wn-anyone.html
https://www.hdstreetforums.com/forum...t-mirrors.html

On the back fender of the Street, but not the Street Rod, you have two bolts that secure the inner fender. These get replaced to hold the docking points for the H-D detachable package rack. They also are attachment points for the saddle bag supports and/or sari guards. I'm not certain if there is anything else that attaches there on Streets, but there are sissy bar side plates for Sportsters that attach similarly. If we had side plates we could use H-D sissy bars.

Other places have tried to do knock offs of the H-D package rack. My experience with these is that they wind up so twisted out of shape that they don't fit. That's a welding problem, I think, and probably not something you want to go into.

Other shops have done metal radiator covers to replace the stock plastic one. Chapparal Customs has a very low profile one.

Formerly known as "PugslyCat" until the account got locked.
2016 xg750 in Velocity Red
2007 Sportster 1200 Custom in blue and silver
post #6 of 7 Old 10-18-2018, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I put up a specials page to get this thing started with products I have access to now. All parts are discounted : https://www.alteredstatedesign.net/street

-Keith
post #7 of 7 Old 04-09-2019, 05:36 PM

the forward controls should be able to be hung off the same bolts as the front engine mounts the same as the front engine protector bar does,i was looking at softtail controls at 1 time as the 2015 rear brakes are woeful to say the least.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page