LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-18-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
High cruising speed

Guys (and gals)

I have just picked up a new 750, although I will be running it in for a few weeks before taking it on the motorway I would like to ask some advice.

I intend to cruise on a regular basis, conditions permitting, at speeds of 90mph+ and was wondering if you guys think I should be changing the oil on a more regular basis than that suggested by HD?

Also is there anything else that you think I should be considering i.e. upgraded air / oil filter?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-19-2019, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Well I quite often find myself at 90 mph whilst on mine - not something I could recommend for long periods - not because the bike can't do that speed but because the wind is quite uncomfortable unless you have a full screen or fairing to hide behind!

As I say, the bike can easily achieve and maintain that speed - it is within the deign limits for it so I am not sure why you would think you might need to change the oil more regularly than the specified service intervals? Also, why would you need upgraded air or oil filter? The stock ones are designed for that purpose!

One thing to consider though - when you are travelling at 90mph + you have very little 'wriggle room' i.e. if you feel the need to pull away from a situation - forget it! At that speed the only thing you can do is manouver out of probelms (not recommended at high speed) or slow down!!

One other thing to consider - has your bike been fitted with the replacement brake calipers or brake caliper parts as per the recent recall? If not be careful, if brakes lock at that speed we will likely meet in heaven (or the other place) and not on the forum!!!

Take care out there.

Botty

Last edited by Botty; 02-19-2019 at 02:40 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-20-2019, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thank you

I have had smaller bikes previously (600cc) and I was advised that I should change the oil more frequently if I would be using the upper end of the rpm scale so I am surprised by your answer?

Does anyone else have a view on this?

post #4 of 6 Old 02-20-2019, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Well I stand by what I put - your engine should be fine and is not being run outside of its design limits.

One thing I would add however is if you intend to run the engine often at high rpm then check the oil level on a more frequent basis i.e. every couple of days.

Others may give you different advice but I would not discount any advice you are offered - some guys have been running theirs for a few years now so may have a better feel for any issues that may arise.

Botty
post #5 of 6 Old 02-20-2019, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
If you can “cruise” at 90 mph you must have arms like popeye ��
I can do 10 mins max at 80 mph on my streetrod before i get tired.
(That is what my ultra glide is for)

Good luck and enjoy.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-20-2019, 04:36 PM

Location: I split my time between rural central Iowa and rural southwest Iowa
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I agree with Botty. It's not beyond these bikes, but high speed touring isn't what they were really designed for. A Street 750 won't be the most comfortable nor the most forgiving bike at 90 mph.

Do a solid pre-ride inspection of the bike including oil level, oil quality, tire pressure and tire condition before every ride, if that's the way you are going. Don't just check the oil level, but give it a careful look and make sure it isn't discolored or losing viscosity. I don't have my manual handy, but I believe it has several options for oil depending on the outside air temperature. You probably want to run the heaviest oil they recommend for the prevailing conditions.

Automobile manufacturers used to recommend decreasing the oil change interval if the car was operated in harsh environments. Those conditions included cold, hot, warm, rainy, snowy, dusty, high speed, or stop and go conditions. Pretty much anything other than doing a steady 45mph in a clean dyno room was considered a harsh condition.

Formerly known as "PugslyCat" until the account got locked.
2016 xg750 in Velocity Red
2007 Sportster 1200 Custom in blue and silver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page