User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-25-2019, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
rear hand brake

Lost my right leg above my knee a few years back in a bike crash and have no way to use my rear brake been on my street 750 for two years now just using the front brake and been in a few spots where I would of loved to had my rear brake back. My Q is if I get a second master cylinder the same as the one on the front brake and a longer brake line will the rear caliper work are not? It looks like the same size caliper. I know that the piston size and resavor of the master cylinder has to be the right for the caliper and if that won't work can I put a front caliper on the rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-25-2019, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
The answer to your question is yes it will work - but I regret I am unsure of if it would work with the standard cylinder set up and you may need a bigger master cylinder.

I ride with a guy who too has no leg below the right knee and his front brake lever operates both brakes on his SV650. He had his brakes set up by a local mechanic so I can't really help with sizes of calipers etc.

You did not say the year of your bike but I know that ABS is essential for this set up.

Interestingly I read, a couple of months ago, that bike companies are allegedly looking at front and rear brake operation from only one lever or pedal but can't remember where I read it.

I feel certain that if you were to approach your local bike store they would be able to advise on whether the brakes and cylinder could do the job.

Good luck with it - I am sure it won't be long before you get this sorted as it's not a major task to do.

Botty
post #3 of 4 Old 04-05-2019, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Some European bikes have a linked front and rear braking system, and I think some of the big Harleys and other touring bikes are starting to add it too. On the Benelli TNT 125, the front caliper has three pistons; two are controlled by the front brake lever, but one is controlled by the rear. The rear master cylinder has two banjos on it, fluid goes to both the front and the rear brakes when using the rear brake lever. It's my understanding that in Europe bikes have to have either ABS or combined brakes, at least small starter bikes do. So such a thing exists, and I'm sure someone has worked it out for disabled riders.

post #4 of 4 Old 04-06-2019, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
You do not say where you are. Some HD dealers here are up to date on adapting bikes to fit a riders needs . One thing for sure a bike can be adapted to work for you. One way I have seen it done is the auto clutch and clutch becomes a rear brake lever.
Linked system generally are not linked a slow speeds.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page