• 1 Post By Botty

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-17-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FP3 Tuning Questions

I have a V&H Comp slip-on and a K&N HD-4915 air filter. The only optional tune for other than stock,of course is for the K&N high-flo air filter. Well I chose the map for my slip-on and a K&N high-flo air filter and it seems to run alright,other than a fluctuating idle. And it does seem to put off a little raw gas smell,so I'm not sure if I should've just picked a map for the factory air filter. So yeah I could try re-mapping and see if there's a difference,but I really dislike re-tuning. So has anyone on here have any tips or had theirs tuned with a map like I have. And have you found your bike to run better tuned for a factory air filter? My apologies if this has been covered before and if it has,well I haven't found it. TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-18-2019, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
It's the air filter change that requires the ecu to be remapped, i.e. a slip on exhaust should not really change the running of the engine with regard to fuel / air mixture so in reality you do need to get the correct setting for whatever air filter you have installed. If you don't the bike will run ok but will not perform as well as it should either at idle or through the rpm range unless you are very fortunate enough to have it just set right by chance. Some suggest that engine damage may be the result if you don't set it right - mmmm.

Anyway - I fitted a screanin eagle high intake air filter to mine and an exhaust that was not shown on any V+H map so I carried out the 'auto-tune' - took a couple of hours to do and was so simple that I do not know why V+H do maps as everyone could have their bikes running 100% using it!

I am unable to answer your question as the truth is I don't know and doubt anyone will be able to give you an answer that gives you peace of mind but would suggest that you just do an auto - tune. Only needs doing once and you can revert to stock settings anytime whilst storing the auto - tuned 'map' in the FP3 memory should you wish to use it.

Botty
post #3 of 10 Old 05-18-2019, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Do exhaust or AC no tune need do both best to add fuel period. If in you canned maps the AC of exhaust does not match yours prefect so what pick one close and go . There is not much difference in them.
Exhaust are stock flow, improved flow and wide open for the the most part. So is the Ac filters.
Auto tun loads a generic map and tunes off that several runs make a better map. Run Auto tune on a tune you have can improve that tune for you.
Make copies for the map and save them so if you want to go back and start over you can. Save them on you computer so if device fail you still have them. SAVE your Maps on a different device.

post #4 of 10 Old 05-21-2019, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Before I decided to go with a aftermarket A/F,I ran my bike for a little while with just the slip-on and FP3 and it did seem to run really lean. So I went ahead and added a K&N HD 4915 because I didn't like the open K&N a/f. As far as running down the road,it seems to run okay but I'm sure it could be better. I never really considered running the auto tune because I've heard horror stories about how long it takes to complete the process. But now it's something I want to do because I don't want to damage the motor. I'm sure by picking the map closest to whatever a/f and slip-on will work out because that's what I did. But I want to be sure that my bike is running at its best and has the correct air/fuel mixture. Thank you folks for the help!!
post #5 of 10 Old 05-22-2019, 01:43 AM

Garage
Just a little thought - I have heard it said often that the auto tune process is difficult or takes ages to complete. I am confused at this suggestion.

Perhaps not everyone understands what the rider should actually be trying to do?

In short you are trying to achieve various rpm's at different throttle openings - simple.

If you are going to try to do this I would suggest that you get a mobile phone holder for your bike and look at the auto-tune display of the FP3 while you are riding in auto-tune mode. That way you can see the area's that need to be populated on the FP3 and with a little bit of acceleration in different gears you should shortly be able to fill up the majority of the map.

I completed mine in about 90 minutes - covering about 60 miles with a mixture of urban and motorway riding. It helped that I did it on a Sunday morning and I could ride at various speeds from 5mph up to 100mph without upsetting anyone.

My bike is now running 100% (in my opinion) and without trying I often achieve 50+ mpg as well as smooth acceleration throughout.

I don't doubt that the technicians at V+H are experts in their field and the maps that they produce are spot on but IN MY OPINION slight variations can occur on different bikes and therefore I personally think that the only way to get 'your' bike running with 'your' set up is to have a go at setting it yourself. It's not something that you can really do wrong and if you are unhappy with the result, which I very much doubt' you can easily revert back to how it was previously.
Big Rus likes this.

Botty
post #6 of 10 Old 05-22-2019, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks Botty what you said is really very interesting.
I have only one doubt because I am ignorant on the subject: but even with the DYNOJET POWER VISION can you do an auto tuning?
I ask this because it is easier here to find Dyno than FP3

Last edited by Marco_dalea; 05-22-2019 at 02:08 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-22-2019, 02:34 PM

Garage
Sorry I have only ever used the FP3 - can you not get them from Amazon?

This may help:

https://dynojet.co.uk/power-vision/p...n/pv-auto-tune

If not someone else on here may be able to help you.
Marco_dalea likes this.

Botty
post #8 of 10 Old 05-24-2019, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Botty,did your bike run a little rough during the auto-tune process? I ask because I read on another forum,that the majority of people was having some running issues like the bike didn't want to idle correctly during the auto-tune process. I will do the auto-tune,although I won't get to ride as long as you did or as far at one time. If I remember right,while in auto-tune you can save progress in stages if you can't complete it in one ride. But I am unsure as I'm still a newbie when it comes to certain features in the FP3.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-24-2019, 01:32 PM

Garage
Hi mate,

No, I had no problems at all with rough running - I too read about that on other forums so was expecting it but mine was fine. You are correct, you can save your progress then return to it to complete at any time.

The FP3 and indeed the 'auto-tune' process does look a little 'daunting' but if you are able to have your phone visible while you are riding you see how the cells are populated you will get a feel for what you need to do to in order to populate the ones that are missing.

The good thing about it is once it is done you will know that your bike is running as good as it can.

Botty
post #10 of 10 Old 05-24-2019, 06:04 PM

Location: I split my time between rural central Iowa and rural southwest Iowa
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
One video I saw on the auto tuning recommended doing a short session of around town driving and flashing the ECU. His idea was that if he did have some roughness he wanted to resolve it for low speed riding where it would cause the most trouble without waiting for a long tuning session.

I'm doing an exhaust, FP3 and the K&N high flow air filter this next week. I'll be doing auto tune next week. I figure on doing the quick trip around town, flash the ECU, then do a longer series of sessions covering how I normally ride the bike. After that I'll look at the phone app and try to fill in the missing blocks.

Formerly known as "PugslyCat" until the account got locked.
2016 xg750 in Velocity Red
2007 Sportster 1200 Custom in blue and silver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page