User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-28-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My Experience With The FP3

Not long,I was asking about FP3 tuning. Well I was helped out by Botty here on these forums,telling me that it would probably be best to run the auto tune. As of today,I have completed the second auto tune session and my bike is running a little better. I say better because during both sessions the bike ran awful. So of course the first time I ran the auto tune,which was two days ago and I goofed up and had to start over today. The first auto tune session I ran,well there were only grayscale squares and it stayed that way when I arrived at my destination. Well on my way back home,I started the process all over because evidently I done something wrong. Several miles before I arrived home,I started to get some yellow and green squares and I thought yay! Again I thought I had done something wrong,so I reflashed back to the factory map and then flashed a base tune for my slip-on and somewhat close to the a/f. Well today I started the whole auto tune process again and had ridden for about a half hour and still grayscale squares no color yet. So I thought I would give up and go home because I was getting nowhere with auto tune. As I started back home,I started to get yellow and green once more. I turned around to continue my ride and when I arrived at my destination,I applied the learned parameters. When I started back home,I opened up the FP3 app.and the message I was getting was no ECM found. I thought now what,well finally it reconnected and I was on my way. Again for a few miles all I was seeing was grayscale squares,so I thought I had goofed somewhere. Then I started seeing color once more and when I arrived home I applied the learned parameters. So I'll admit it takes patience and a lot of it,during the auto tune process and evidently the first of the two sessions was saved. When I started the second session today,all I done was open the FP3 app.and it picked up from the first session. I know that because there were yellow and green squares on a different section of the screen. So I want to thank Botty on here for talking me into running the auto tune and hopefully I end up having a better running bike! And for those who are thinking about running the auto tune,it will seem to not be working at all but it will! Give it a little time and if you need to,check out the instruction manual for the FP3. I did and it's kind of like cliff notes on what to do in steps. O'h I forgot to mention that my bike did run rough,didn't want to idle very well and the throttle is tricky during all of the auto tune sessions. We'll see how it does on the third and final session?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-29-2019, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
You are very welcome !

However, it does sound like you had a bit of a nightmare getting it going? I must admit I never had a problem - having said that I do still use my FP3 to look at certain sensors when I am on a 'long' ride i.e. MPG, Engine temp, torque, HP and of course I have the Tacho as the main dial and I have occasionally had it 'freeze' on me, so I pull over and I get the message 'no ECU'. I restart the App and it then works fine - I put it down to an app or bluetooth error. It sounds like you had a similar issue during your auto-tune process?
As you have no doubt found out, you do have to rev the bike a bit in various gears to get some of the squares to fill but once it is done you will feel the benefit.

To be honest I think that you do need to 'hit' the section that you want to go 'green' a couple of times or if possible hold the rpm/throttle in that position for around 15 seconds to get it to go 'green' and on some of the squares you will have to ride at close to top speed but having said that if this is not your 'normal' riding manner then it would be pointless doing this as the ECU will likely never need to be in operation at these rpm/throttle positions during normal riding. I admit I did mine as I sometimes do play the 'bad - boy' and wanted to make sure I had it covered just in case!

I think you may have but if not, I would strongly suggest you get a phone holder on your handlebars when doing the autotune - that way you can easily see what areas have not gone green and you can then get the rpm/throttle to that position for a few seconds to get it green.

Like I said, my bike is running 100% now and will likely never need to be mapped again so it is well worth the hassle of getting it done then you can forget it and ride off into the sunset............................

Take care

Botty
post #3 of 5 Old 05-30-2019, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I just recently got around to trying out the Autotune function on my FP3. I was previously running the canned tune for the V&H VO2 air intake & V&H High Output slip-on, that I installed, and my bike seemed to be running better with more pep and throttle response.

My experience with the autotune session is that these bikes' temp run pretty darn low being liquid cooled and there in lyes the challenge that I had found.

First, I attached my iPhone X to my RAM phone mount so I could view the cells while they were being learned. I was discouraged at the onset because there was no yellow or green cells, like I saw on a Youtube video by DanDanTheFireMan doing a autotune, just all white cells. I could see the curser moving around the map depending on my throttle position and RPMs, but no color changes. What I've observed is that the "learning" does not begin to occur until the bike reaches 195. The current temp is shown on the top of the screen while in autotune. After the bike reaches that temp and above the cells begin to change color starting with yellow(learning) and then green(learned). If I rode for a bit and the bike was able to cool down below 195 then the learning would stop. My fix was to pull over and let her idle for a bit, cracking the throttle on occasion, and also opening the throttle to a higher RPM & holding it there for a spell to try and get the temp up pass 195 into the 200 realm. I rode flat lands and hills. Normal riding, lower gear higher RPM riding, Higher gear lower RPM riding, going up the hill and down the hill, and the same thing on the flat lands. It kind of became a game trying to learn as many cells as I could with different throttle positions and different RPMs in those positions.(the hill really helped). Usually by the time I got back down to the bottom of the hill the temp would be under 195 again and I would pull off to the shoulder, give it a few revs, and I would stand in the shade of a tree for a few minutes to let the temp get back up into the low 200s. This process happen over three different riding sessions and about one full tank of gas. Apparently the learning process automatically picks up where it left off until you finally finish and flash the bike with the new map. This learning occurs, as long as temp requirements are met, whether or not you connect your phone, as the FP3 is always connected. This was done here on Maui where the average temp outside is in the middle to upper 80s.

After the final Learning session I tapped Flash to bike and finished the autotune session. I read somewhere that the bike will likely run poor while in autotune. I found that once finished there was a noticeable improved difference in my performance & throttle response compared to the canned tune that I was previously running. The tune is specific to my bike, my setup, my weight, and my riding style.

Hope this helps.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-31-2019, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Glad you found an appreciable difference.

Yes, you are correct and I forgot to mention it - I did read that the autotune needed to achieve a certain temperature prior to it functioning and I too had difficulty doing mine - here in the UK during winter it's hard to get the temperature that you need. However, if you go into settings on the FP3 you can actually lower the temperature that the process needs to run.

This may help others in the 'not - so - warm' environments.

Botty
post #5 of 5 Old 05-31-2019, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yeah it was a PITA for sure,or at least it has been so far. The first auto tune session took forever and it may have been my mistake,because I didn't let my bike really warm up. So I may start the auto tune process over and if I do,I want to work on getting green in the lower rpm's. I mean,I did get some green squares in the lower rpm's but not enough. Yeah I probably need to work on getting green in the higher rpm range,which won't be too hard. Winding it out,riding on the interstate,etc. In other words twist the throttle! I do have a Ram X phone holder/mount and if I remember correctly,I stuck it on the handlebars before I purchased the FP3.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page