Brand new owner..Oil question - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-10-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Brand new owner..Oil question

Hello everyone. A little introduction to me: I'm 53 years old and bought my first bike. HD street 750. I've put a grand total of 40 miles on it this week. I checked oil, and it's pretty low. Is that pretty normal? And, do i need to go back to HD dealer and get HD oil? That's what owners manual calls for and I'm inclined to do that. TIA for any help

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-10-2019, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats on the new bike!! If your bike is under warranty use the HD oil until the warranty is over. What is low?? Did you check bike off kick stand straight up?
post #3 of 12 Old 08-10-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8831lee View Post
Congrats on the new bike!! If your bike is under warranty use the HD oil until the warranty is over. What is low?? Did you check bike off kick stand straight up?
Thanks so much. Turns out,i should have read owner's manual. I've been reading it,but haven't finished. I had no idea you are supposed to check oil with engine hot. Never heard of that before. I did stand bike up straight when checking oil. After checking with motor hot, oil level looks okay. Thanks so much for responding. This is brand new journey for me. I appreciate all the help i can get.

8831lee likes this.

post #4 of 12 Old 08-10-2019, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Well this is a good place to come for some info.. Do yourself a favor and buy a service manual. It will save you a bunch of money (If you can use basic tools) I do most of my maintenance and it saves a ton of time and money. Enjoy the new ride and have fun!!!

Cheers!!
post #5 of 12 Old 08-10-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8831lee View Post
Well this is a good place to come for some info.. Do yourself a favor and buy a service manual. It will save you a bunch of money (If you can use basic tools) I do most of my maintenance and it saves a ton of time and money. Enjoy the new ride and have fun!!!

Cheers!!
Thank you. I always buy service manual for my equipment. I will purchase one for this bike

post #6 of 12 Old 08-11-2019, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Make sure you check your coolant fluids so once n a while also.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-11-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Make sure you check your coolant fluids so once n a while also.
Will do. Thanks,

post #8 of 12 Old 08-11-2019, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorbmp1965 View Post
Thanks so much. Turns out,i should have read owner's manual. I've been reading it,but haven't finished. I had no idea you are supposed to check oil with engine hot. Never heard of that before. I did stand bike up straight when checking oil. After checking with motor hot, oil level looks okay. Thanks so much for responding. This is brand new journey for me. I appreciate all the help i can get.

Most all heavy equipment is checked hot. Hot means hot not just warmed up. Hot is the only way to get a true reading to avoid over filling. The cold check is just a safe to ride and check hot level.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-11-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty901 View Post
Most all heavy equipment is checked hot. Hot means hot not just warmed up. Hot is the only way to get a true reading to avoid over filling. The cold check is just a safe to ride and check hot level.
I've never heard checking oil level when a vehicle is hot, and I've owned about every kind of commuter vehicle there is... except a bike. This is my first. Not doubting what you are saying..but, I've never read or heard of that before.

post #10 of 12 Old 08-11-2019, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorbmp1965 View Post
I've never heard checking oil level when a vehicle is hot, and I've owned about every kind of commuter vehicle there is... except a bike. This is my first. Not doubting what you are saying..but, I've never read or heard of that before.

After I left the Army I managed heavy equipment crews. Yes oil was check hot for proper level . Some older CATs were checked hot and running. Cold check was a safe start. Harley oil check has always been hot check. The only difference is some are check on side stand some straight up. Many Touring bikes are marked for side stand or straight up. But clearly marked check hot.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page