5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 04-15-2014, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
HD Street 250

Anyone think HD could look to go down to 1/4 Litre displacements after the successfully roll out Street 500 and 750? The only reason I ask is because I've seen several of the blogs refer to Harley as going after Honda Shadow/Yamaha V Star type shoppers with the Street 500. Consider that the V-Star reaches all the way down to 250cc displacement..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-15-2014, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin On View Post
Anyone think HD could look to go down to 1/4 Litre displacements after the successfully roll out Street 500 and 750? The only reason I ask is because I've seen several of the blogs refer to Harley as going after Honda Shadow/Yamaha V Star type shoppers with the Street 500. Consider that the V-Star reaches all the way down to 250cc displacement..
Not enough of a market in North America, maybe in Europe?

I do suspect a 1000 CC big bore kit for the 500 and 750 in two years. Mess of us going to punch it out, port and polish anyway!

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK
post #3 of 16 Old 04-15-2014, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
If priced right (as in similar ballpark as enfield ) , it will be a massive hit in india simply because of the brand name if nothing else.
Livin On and bbally like this.

post #4 of 16 Old 04-15-2014, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
You mean lop a cylinder off the 500 the way Buell lopped a cylinder off a Sportster engine to make the Blast? Well, not like it hasn't been done before. Didn't make for a very enjoyable bike though.

I think Harley should make a premium version with double overhead cams, dual throttle bodies and a centrally mounted spark plug. Make it an 800 or 850 and go head to head with the BMW F800 series bikes. Then retire the Sportster line for good. Bury that 57 year old pile. It was obsolete in 1957.

I live in a parallel universe but have a vacation home in reality.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-15-2014, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Tortoise View Post
You mean lop a cylinder off the 500 the way Buell lopped a cylinder off a Sportster engine to make the Blast? Well, not like it hasn't been done before. Didn't make for a very enjoyable bike though.

I think Harley should make a premium version with double overhead cams, dual throttle bodies and a centrally mounted spark plug. Make it an 800 or 850 and go head to head with the BMW F800 series bikes. Then retire the Sportster line for good. Bury that 57 year old pile. It was obsolete in 1957.
That already exists... abate a little bigger, the Vrod.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK
post #6 of 16 Old 04-16-2014, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
probably will be only for europe and asia if it does happen
post #7 of 16 Old 04-16-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbally View Post
That already exists... abate a little bigger, the Vrod.
No. The V-Rod is a big slammed cruiser. I want something that is light weight, short, agile and has some real poke. Other than the Street Rod, none of the V-Rod models have adequate suspension or lean angle, and they are over weight for the kind of riding I am thinking of. The kind of bike I want is along the lines of a BMW F800, Suzuki SV650 or Kawasaki Versys.

Take the Street, put a double overhead cam head on it, dual throttle bodies or at least a plenum that feeds dual velocity stacks and separate fuel injectors for each cylinder, higher quality suspension, no fooling Brembo dual discs up front and raise it a bit (oh, the horror) so it has enough cornering clearance to be competitive with the bikes I mentioned.

None of what I describe is even remotely like a V-Rod.

post #8 of 16 Old 04-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
No. The V-Rod is a big slammed cruiser. I want something that is light weight, short, agile and has some real poke. Other than the Street Rod, none of the V-Rod models have adequate suspension or lean angle, and they are over weight for the kind of riding I am thinking of. The kind of bike I want is along the lines of a BMW F800, Suzuki SV650 or Kawasaki Versys.

Take the Street, put a double overhead cam head on it, dual throttle bodies or at least a plenum that feeds dual velocity stacks and separate fuel injectors for each cylinder, higher quality suspension, no fooling Brembo dual discs up front and raise it a bit (oh, the horror) so it has enough cornering clearance to be competitive with the bikes I mentioned.

None of what I describe is even remotely like a V-Rod.
Meant the engine.... You described an engine you wanted.... The Vrod engine would be more than adequate, though the configuration of the Street frame would never stop the speeds that engine would make, and it would need large tires.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK

Last edited by bbally; 04-16-2014 at 12:18 PM.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-16-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbally View Post
Meant the engine.... You described an engine you wanted.... The Vrod engine would be more than adequate, though the configuration of the Street frame would never stop the speeds that engine would make, and it would need large tires.
\

Again, no. The V-Rod engine is dimensionally to large and it's to heavy. Harley paid absolutely no attention to weight when the V-Rod was designed. I had a nice hour long converstation with the platform manager, Peter Michael Keppler, a German designer and road racer hired by Harley (not one of the Porsche people either). We had a discussion of the bike's weight and he rolled his eyes telling me Willie G, would not give him the engineering budget to reduce the bike's weight to something he thought more sensible. The original Street Rod was prototyped with 17 inch Marcheseni wheels and Ohlins fork and shocks. That is how the bike was tested. Willie G. nixed all of that too, forcing him to use the big heavy wheels that the bike came with and the lower quality suspenders. There is at least fifty pounds of weight that should come out of the V-Rod engine, just the engine, without affecting longevity, and that would help performance greatly.

I don't want a repeat of the V-Rod engine. I want something lighter and smaller dimensionally so the bike it is in stays nice and light and narrow. I have a Street Rod and it's a lot of fun, but it's a long and heavy bike to play with on a tight mountain road.

post #10 of 16 Old 04-16-2014, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
\

Again, no. The V-Rod engine is dimensionally to large and it's to heavy. Harley paid absolutely no attention to weight when the V-Rod was designed. I had a nice hour long converstation with the platform manager, Peter Michael Keppler, a German designer and road racer hired by Harley (not one of the Porsche people either). We had a discussion of the bike's weight and he rolled his eyes telling me Willie G, would not give him the engineering budget to reduce the bike's weight to something he thought more sensible. The original Street Rod was prototyped with 17 inch Marcheseni wheels and Ohlins fork and shocks. That is how the bike was tested. Willie G. nixed all of that too, forcing him to use the big heavy wheels that the bike came with and the lower quality suspenders. There is at least fifty pounds of weight that should come out of the V-Rod engine, just the engine, without affecting longevity, and that would help performance greatly.

I don't want a repeat of the V-Rod engine. I want something lighter and smaller dimensionally so the bike it is in stays nice and light and narrow. I have a Street Rod and it's a lot of fun, but it's a long and heavy bike to play with on a tight mountain road.
But aren't we now taling about morphing Harley into a completely new type of company? From a branding perspective I just don't see it flying. As much as bandana mans are harped on they pay the bills and pay them well. From a branding standpoint I see it being a tough sell for harley to convince people they are no longer what they were, but a new breed of company more closely resembling a Japanese major.

I'm not saying it cant be done, but I am saying the effort to move the mountain of perception may be too risky and too daunting for HD...

However I do like the idea you propose..

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page