post #1 of 54 Old 05-26-2014, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Road Trips

I'm in what might be a unique situation because as soon as I can get my hands on my Street 750 I have to rapidly put "miles" on it. I need to break it in by riding at least 1,000 miles and perhaps 2,000 miles before I tear it down to build a chopper out of it. If something is going to "break" it will typically break early as opposed to later and once I tear it apart I'm probably going to void my warranty.

The quickest way to put on mileage is to....

ROAD TRIP

So that's my plan. I have one week set aside starting the day after I take possession to head out on a road trip. I will have to plan on an oil changes at about 1,000 mile (a typical warranty requirement) but other than that I can go anywhere I please.

I'm thinking of taking a ride from the Seattle area (where I live) to Dawson Creek in BC, Canada that is the beginning of the Alaska-Canadian Highway. I've never made that trip before and it promises to be a very enjoyable and scenic ride. No real rush and about a week to make the ride. Obviously I don't plan on a breakdown. LOL It that happens then I guess I'll have to deal with it.

So I'd like to know if others are already planning a road trip and, if so, where do you plan to go?

Livin On likes this.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 05-26-2014, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
what about riding to banff alberta? i think that might even be a tad bit closer.

then riding out to dawson

morraine lake, right by banff.
Sherri and StoneFree like this.
post #3 of 54 Old 05-26-2014, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkystreet View Post
what about riding to banff alberta? i think that might even be a tad bit closer.

That view is to die for... Well shouldn't say it like that but you know what I mean.

I have been there but not from a trip on two wheels.

Has anyone ever been to the Grand Canyon?
StoneFree likes this.

Ride Your Ride and Stay Alive.

post #4 of 54 Old 05-26-2014, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFree View Post
I'm in what might be a unique situation because as soon as I can get my hands on my Street 750 I have to rapidly put "miles" on it. I need to break it in by riding at least 1,000 miles and perhaps 2,000 miles before I tear it down to build a chopper out of it. If something is going to "break" it will typically break early as opposed to later and once I tear it apart I'm probably going to void my warranty.

The quickest way to put on mileage is to....

ROAD TRIP

So that's my plan. I have one week set aside starting the day after I take possession to head out on a road trip. I will have to plan on an oil changes at about 1,000 mile (a typical warranty requirement) but other than that I can go anywhere I please.

I'm thinking of taking a ride from the Seattle area (where I live) to Dawson Creek in BC, Canada that is the beginning of the Alaska-Canadian Highway. I've never made that trip before and it promises to be a very enjoyable and scenic ride. No real rush and about a week to make the ride. Obviously I don't plan on a breakdown. LOL It that happens then I guess I'll have to deal with it.

So I'd like to know if others are already planning a road trip and, if so, where do you plan to go?
Just make sure to spend plenty of time in the Valley, some of the most beautiful country in Canada
StoneFree likes this.
post #5 of 54 Old 05-26-2014, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
I've driven through the Rocky Mountains from BC through to Alberta. It is the most gorgeous view and drive ever. There are plenty of places along the way other than Banff that are great to look at too. I highly recommend it! The Frank Slide is a really cool sight to see.

StoneFree likes this.
post #6 of 54 Old 05-30-2014, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testiphony View Post
I've driven through the Rocky Mountains from BC through to Alberta. It is the most gorgeous view and drive ever. There are plenty of places along the way other than Banff that are great to look at too. I highly recommend it! The Frank Slide is a really cool sight to see.

Nice scenery for sure but doesn't look like there is a whole lot of road for riding.

post #7 of 54 Old 05-31-2014, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkystreet View Post

Beautiful!!!

About 775 miles to Dawson Creek and about 560 miles to Banff so you are correct it is a bit closer but making a trip shorter seems to be counter-productive. "More Is Better" don't ya think. LOL

I'd actually like to make both trips because I haven't been on the roads to either place. Glad I got my passport last year.

HarleyVest and Sherri like this.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #8 of 54 Old 05-31-2014, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyVest View Post
Nice scenery for sure but doesn't look like there is a whole lot of road for riding.
The road is really close. You can see the slide just driving by, but you can also park and go to the observation deck, which is pictured here. It's just off the highway if I remember correctly.
post #9 of 54 Old 06-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFree View Post
Beautiful!!!

About 775 miles to Dawson Creek and about 560 miles to Banff so you are correct it is a bit closer but making a trip shorter seems to be counter-productive. "More Is Better" don't ya think. LOL

I'd actually like to make both trips because I haven't been on the roads to either place. Glad I got my passport last year.
I'd like to plan something out next year. This would be a great trip with the ncie scenery.

That reminds me, I need to look for my passport its been a while.
StoneFree likes this.

post #10 of 54 Old 06-13-2014, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Go to Canada

Come the long way back through glacier and down to Yellowstone.

If you see this you have a tough choice. Shut off motor and hope. Keep motor running and hope.

But it will be an adventure.
HarleyVest and StoneFree like this.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page