Is anyone planning on doing Harley riding school and buying the Street through it? - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 05-30-2014, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Is anyone planning on doing Harley riding school and buying the Street through it?

I've heard that the first Harley Streets will be going to riding schools, so students will be the first to get to ride it in the US.

If you are planning on having it be your first bike, it seems to make sense to just join the riding school and then buy the Street afterwards for a discount.

Has anyone signed up yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-30-2014, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
I don't need courses any more but looking forward to reading responses here, good if you already have your mind set on the Street, ride it before you buy it.

post #3 of 17 Old 05-31-2014, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just took the class to get my endorsement and rode the 500. I am not too experienced when it comes to motorcycles so my opinion probably should be taken lightly.

The Street 500 seems to be low powered. I understand the bike has been flashed do not take off like it would normally. I felt more like I was on a moped than a Harley.

The bike did handle with ease. Everyone told me how much the figure 8 portion of the training is the most difficult but nobody in our class had one issue with it. This bike handles awesome and can see why somebody living an urban area would want one.

The bike is small. Im 5'8" and felt cramped in there. I know the seat and pedals are adjustable but to what extent? I dont know. All I do know is I had difficulty getting my foot under the level to shift up because I was so cramped.

I love the look of the 500 but I live on the outskirts of Orlando and have plenty of rural areas to cruise which is where I will be riding mostly. Im not sure if the 500 would be right for me because I want to go on long rides.

But if I was are looking for a bike just to take into town and go around Orlando, I would probably take another look at the 750 because I dont think you can beat that price. Why anyone would by a sportster over a Street would be beyond me.
Livin On, HarleyVest and Sherri like this.

post #4 of 17 Old 05-31-2014, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
I just took the class to get my endorsement and rode the 500. I am not too experienced when it comes to motorcycles so my opinion probably should be taken lightly.

The Street 500 seems to be low powered. I understand the bike has been flashed do not take off like it would normally. I felt more like I was on a moped than a Harley.

The bike did handle with ease. Everyone told me how much the figure 8 portion of the training is the most difficult but nobody in our class had one issue with it. This bike handles awesome and can see why somebody living an urban area would want one.

The bike is small. Im 5'8" and felt cramped in there. I know the seat and pedals are adjustable but to what extent? I dont know. All I do know is I had difficulty getting my foot under the level to shift up because I was so cramped.

I love the look of the 500 but I live on the outskirts of Orlando and have plenty of rural areas to cruise which is where I will be riding mostly. Im not sure if the 500 would be right for me because I want to go on long rides.

But if I was are looking for a bike just to take into town and go around Orlando, I would probably take another look at the 750 because I dont think you can beat that price. Why anyone would by a sportster over a Street would be beyond me.
Thanks for your input Snuffy !

The 750 should be much more powerful than the 500, and should be a good cruiser on the highways and byways.

Since you are new to motorcycling, I will let you in on a secret. It is very rare to find a motorcycle that fits you perfectly.. Most people who do any serious riding have to make changes to their bike so that it fits them ergonomically. You find a bike you like, and you make it work for you.
Livin On, HarleyVest and kraptor1 like this.

Last edited by Sherri; 05-31-2014 at 08:59 AM. Reason: typo
post #5 of 17 Old 05-31-2014, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Wouldn't they teach you about how to adjust the bike top properly fit your body at a riding course though. I figured that would be one of the first things they tell you before you even start it up.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-01-2014, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusef View Post
Wouldn't they teach you about how to adjust the bike top properly fit your body at a riding course though. I figured that would be one of the first things they tell you before you even start it up.
I don't know about that. I mean, unlike a car that you can simply adjust the seat position, mirrors, and tilt steering column... there is not much you can adjust on a motorcycle, other than the mirrors. It is not like you can move the footpegs or handlebars without tools.
Besides, I never modified any of my motorcycles until I bought my first Harley, and there were several prior to that. I just rode the bikes the way they were. Of course back then, aftermarket parts were not as readily available as they are today.
Livin On, Sherri and kraptor1 like this.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-01-2014, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
There are three different height seats for the Street. Though I don't know this for sure, I would bet the school bikes use the lowest of the three available seats. Just a guess to make sure all riders can flat foot the bike when it's stopped so everyone is comfortable they won't tip one over.
kraptor1 likes this.

I live in a parallel universe but have a vacation home in reality.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post

The 750 should be much more powerful than the 500, and should be a good cruiser on the highways and byways.

Since you are new to motorcycling, I will let you in on a secret. It is very rare to find a motorcycle that fits you perfectly.. Most people who do any serious riding have to make changes to their bike so that it fits them ergonomically. You find a bike you like, and you make it work for you.
Sherri hit the nail on the head with that one. Often times we find ourselves looking for a bike that fits perfectly but yes we do have to make adjustments. I feel exactly the same way, just like find a woman
Sherri likes this.

Ride Your Ride and Stay Alive.
post #9 of 17 Old 06-02-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusef View Post

I wish they would of at my class, especially since you put your name on the 500 and keep that one throughout the weekend. It would have been nice to be able to learn on a motorcycle that you are at least half way comfortable with.

Luckily the 500 is a smooth ride and that is easier to handle than other Harley's.
Sherri likes this.

Last edited by Snuffy; 06-02-2014 at 05:08 PM.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-02-2014, 05:14 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post

Thank you for the heads up. I heard Harleys are the most customizable out of the other brands. I just cant see my self cruising down the highway and taking long trips even with add on's and forward controls. To me it just wouldn't look and the feel "the part", even though I agree the 500 and 750 would have plenty of power for highway driving. But after riding the 500, I think the optimal use for the motorcycles would be for local bar hopping and daily commutes which seems is what Harley is marketing it as.

I'm currently looking at a used Fatboy Lo and have no problem taking the money i saved and buying a new 750, lol.
HarleyVest and Sherri like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page