User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-09-2014, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Picked up our 500 today

My lady has been learning to ride on the 500. Has been through safety training but has not ridden on the street. Our road has some open space and a circle which is perfect for getting ready for open roads. It did get tipped over today, not too bad, but the low fuel light was flashing so I took it down for a fill up. Since filling, the low fuel warning light is solid. Anyone know why this would happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-10-2014, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
hey welcome to the boards and congrats! @StoneFree had a similar issue I'm sure he can help you out... Nothing major...
post #3 of 5 Old 08-10-2014, 02:42 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Disconnect the battery terminal and see if it resets.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way !

post #4 of 5 Old 08-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gccch View Post
My lady has been learning to ride on the 500. Has been through safety training but has not ridden on the street. Our road has some open space and a circle which is perfect for getting ready for open roads. It did get tipped over today, not too bad, but the low fuel light was flashing so I took it down for a fill up. Since filling, the low fuel warning light is solid. Anyone know why this would happen?
Yeah, it's broken and the dealer needs to fix it under the warranty. LOL

So far I had to take my Street 750 in once for diagnosis and that took about an hour. Then return after they got the parts to fix it and that took a couple of hours. Now the light won't come on at all so I have to take it back again to propery calibrate it.

So..... my suggestion is that when you take it in to get it fixed make sure to tell them that you want the technician to verify it goes on and off at about one gallon of fuel left in the tank per the manual. The technician at my dealer apparently set it to come on too low from what I understand.

My next recommendation is to always use the "B" mileage trip gauge to track fuel usage by mileage. Just get in the habit of always resetting the "B trip gauge whenever you get gas. Do a little "general riding" to determine how many mpg you get normally and then by tracking mileage on the "B" trip gauge you'll always know about how much fuel and how far you can ride before you run out.

I prefer using general mpg because I can always go into "fuel conservation mode" if I'm worried about running out of gas. I can get about 10% better mpg in fuel conservation mode so instead of 55 mpg (on my Street 750) I could probably make 60 miles on a gallon of gas. I never want to have to push a motorcycle to a gas pump or leave it to go get gas. LOL

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-10-2014, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFree View Post
Yeah, it's broken and the dealer needs to fix it under the warranty. LOL

So far I had to take my Street 750 in once for diagnosis and that took about an hour. Then return after they got the parts to fix it and that took a couple of hours. Now the light won't come on at all so I have to take it back again to propery calibrate it.

So..... my suggestion is that when you take it in to get it fixed make sure to tell them that you want the technician to verify it goes on and off at about one gallon of fuel left in the tank per the manual. The technician at my dealer apparently set it to come on too low from what I understand.

My next recommendation is to always use the "B" mileage trip gauge to track fuel usage by mileage. Just get in the habit of always resetting the "B trip gauge whenever you get gas. Do a little "general riding" to determine how many mpg you get normally and then by tracking mileage on the "B" trip gauge you'll always know about how much fuel and how far you can ride before you run out.

I prefer using general mpg because I can always go into "fuel conservation mode" if I'm worried about running out of gas. I can get about 10% better mpg in fuel conservation mode so instead of 55 mpg (on my Street 750) I could probably make 60 miles on a gallon of gas. I never want to have to push a motorcycle to a gas pump or leave it to go get gas. LOL
toggle switch in the right wrist or select-a-dial?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page