8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 08-18-2014, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How Fast......

Today when taking a short jaunt to an area lake we noticed a huge storm front rolling in when we got to our destination. On the way there we had taken the back roads (scenic route), deciding it best to just haul-azz and get back home we hit the interstate to try and out run the storm. We made it back (dry) and with-in 3 minutes of arriving home the bottom fell out of the sky.
But here is the question. How fast have you had your machine? When the road was clear and there was no traffic I opened my machine up twice. Once I had it at about 95 and had to back off due to us approaching a few tractor trailers up ahead. The last opportunity I had with clear straight highway I hit 107 and had to back off for the same reason. I have no idea how fast that 750 will go but I'm not sure I want to find out. I will say this, it was still gaining speed and I have no doubt it will easily and firmly bury that speedometer hand.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-18-2014, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Speed 500

Interesting thread you started. I'd like to hear how fast others have gotten their 750s especially if max speed reached. I am also interested in 500 maximums of MPH or KPH.
I have a xg500 that I have maximum speed at 86 MPH on many occasions in the stock configuration. This week, I will test the max speed with the Stage 1 (SE muffler, air cleaner and ECM download) installed. I will update after testing the limit on top speed.
post #3 of 24 Old 08-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Top speed on a street motorcycle determined by gear ratios as opposed to horsepower and Harley typically gears it's motorcycles for a top speed of about 110 mph. I believe this is what the Street 500 and 750 are both geared for just like my 1200 Sportster. You can, of course, change the rear sprocket for a higher top speed but I wouldn't recommend doing it or riding that fast.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.

post #4 of 24 Old 08-18-2014, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFree View Post
Harley typically gears it's motorcycles for a top speed of about 110 mph. I believe this is what the Street 500 and 750 are both geared for
I seriously doubt the Street 500 will do 110. I'm gonna bet the 500 tops out around 85 mph.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way !
post #5 of 24 Old 08-18-2014, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
When I was riding the 500 delivered to Grand Junction's dealership on the highway at WOT with no grade it never went above 82 MPH. (laying on tank) Downhill it did hit 89 MPH. (Laying on tank toes tucked and knees slammed to the engine and air cleaner.

While top speed on a dyno maybe 110, at a point you are fighting as much resistive drag and turbulence as the HP can overcome.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK
post #6 of 24 Old 08-19-2014, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
take it to the autobahn with a buddy that has a truck and draft behind him, best way to really push it to the limit, little wind resistance

kidding.
post #7 of 24 Old 08-19-2014, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbally View Post
When I was riding the 500 delivered to Grand Junction's dealership on the highway at WOT with no grade it never went above 82 MPH. (laying on tank) Downhill it did hit 89 MPH. (Laying on tank toes tucked and knees slammed to the engine and air cleaner.

While top speed on a dyno maybe 110, at a point you are fighting as much resistive drag and turbulence as the HP can overcome.

No dispute but I wonder if it was gearing. I haven't checked to see if the 500 and 750 have different final drive gear ratios. H-D could very well of geared the 500 lower to improve the performance at lower speeds to compensate for the lower hp of the engine.

I did notice that the 500 and 750 both had excellent low speed (i.e. below 50 mph) performance and different gearing could account for that. It's less expensive to change the drive sprockets than it is to change the gears in the tranny to achieve similar results.

bbally likes this.

post #8 of 24 Old 08-19-2014, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGuy View Post
take it to the autobahn with a buddy that has a truck and draft behind him, best way to really push it to the limit, little wind resistance

kidding.
The maximum possible speed obtainable is achieved by riding off of a very high cliff to determine terminal (and I mean terminal literally) velocity. This should only be attempted by trained professionals on a closed course. LOL

Crusty Primate likes this.

post #9 of 24 Old 08-19-2014, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFree View Post
The maximum possible speed obtainable is achieved by riding off of a very high cliff to determine terminal (and I mean terminal literally) velocity. This should only be attempted by trained professionals on a closed course. LOL

31.7 feet per second per second.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK
post #10 of 24 Old 08-19-2014, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
500 & 750 final drive gearing same. 80T / 30T.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page