8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 08-21-2014, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Wham, Bam, No thank you Mam

The title may be a little Cheesy but it has a reason behind it.
This thread is to tell us of any spills,wrecks or any type of mishaps concerning riding a motorcycle. I have had 4 in my life, 3 were minor, the last one almost killed me and left me with permanent injuries. I hung up riding bikes for about 40 years.

The first (minor) wreck was due to a woman switching lanes on me and taking a right hand turn in my lane. She quickly switched lanes when she discovered she was where she needed to turn and she slammed on her brakes to make the turn. I slammed into the back of her and was flipped over the handlebars. My helmet hit the top of her station wagon where the rear window meets the roof of the car. It cracked my helmet wide open and bent the forks of my Yamaha almost back to the frame. After some choice words I rode it home and had a horribly stiff neck for about a week.
Ok who's next?

I'll continue with my other mishaps after a few of your stories have been told.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-22-2014, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
This thread has had about 60 views and no one has a Mishap story of any kind?

Ok, here is another minor accident. Maybe this one will get the ball rolling.

I crested a hill and looked ahead and saw a Texaco Tanker sitting at the red light about 500 yards away.When I approached the intersection I saw a huge puddle all over the road but I had no where to go except through it. The puddle wound up being gas that had leaked from the trucks supply lines.
My bikes rear tire almost completely swapped ends. When the bike got sideways it flipped right out from under me and I went scooting down the road on my azz.
The machine wasn't hurt at all but the back of my jeans were gone. I picked up the bike and road home. When trying to remove my pants I discovered my azz had scabbed over and the pants were now adhered to my flesh. About 30 minutes in a warm bath tub and I soaked them off. To this day I still have a shinny cellulite looking area on both cheeks of my butt.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way !
post #3 of 20 Old 08-22-2014, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
OK here goes. Three years ago I was in Panama City Beach riding along when this lady next to me decides to switch into my lane. I had no choice but to put down a brand new bike less than 2,000 miles because if she had hit me I would been nocked into on coming traffic. I had a broken noise, three broken ribs, broken toe, and bruised kidney, and trieded to wipe my face off on the road. Police were one black back and two witness stop to tell the officer what had happened. She claimed she didn't see me. I was on red bike and right next to her. She had no insurance and no money. She was ticked but cop would no arrest as she had kids in car.

post #4 of 20 Old 08-22-2014, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
In over 40 years of riding I don't have any horror stories to tell. I've only dumped a motorcycle once and that was at slow speed messing around on my first motorcycle (a Yamaha 70) and it was all my fault.

Since then I've developed so many habits to avoid any accidents that I can't even think of them all. For example never ride next to anyone and always expect a person in the lane next to you to change lanes and try and kill you. Always pay attention to anything that has even a remote chance of moving (including rocks alongside the road). Never follow anything closely. Don't speed, ever. The list is almost endless and it's so ingrained in my riding that I don't even think about it.

Perhaps the best way to look at is to "Assume everyone and everything it out to kill you" when riding and ride accordingly.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-22-2014, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
In India if you are not alert and have your wits about you on the road, you are dead. We unfortunately have no road sense, traffic discipline, no courtesy for other road users and ninety percent people using the road have never had formal driving training. Sad but true!
Anyway, to share my experience, I crashed into a cow on the highway at 120 kmph(around 80 mph) and have lived to tell the tale. The stupid animal ran in front of from nowhere and I had no option but to slam into it broadside. I flew over it to land on the Tarmac, slid and rolled for over 20 meters with most of the skin from my hip, right thigh and back sticking to the road. Fortunately no broken bones. My bike was a 350 cc Yamaha which broke into two and the cow died. Spent five days in the hospital.
post #6 of 20 Old 08-23-2014, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Never been in a motorcycle accident, thank God. The one thing that I would add to the conversation is that often it isn't your driving you should be worried about, it's every other driver on the road.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-23-2014, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
I got in a bike accident when I was 5 and got pretty bad road rash. They had to scrub the gravel out of my wounds at the clinic. That's the closest I want to get to a motorcycle accident.
post #8 of 20 Old 08-23-2014, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFree View Post
For example never ride next to anyone and always expect a person in the lane next to you to change lanes and try and kill you.
Happens every time I ride.
StoneFree likes this.
post #9 of 20 Old 08-23-2014, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYEDEE View Post
In India if you are not alert and have your wits about you on the road, you are dead. We unfortunately have no road sense, traffic discipline, no courtesy for other road users and ninety percent people using the road have never had formal driving training. Sad but true!
Anyway, to share my experience, I crashed into a cow on the highway at 120 kmph(around 80 mph) and have lived to tell the tale. The stupid animal ran in front of from nowhere and I had no option but to slam into it broadside. I flew over it to land on the Tarmac, slid and rolled for over 20 meters with most of the skin from my hip, right thigh and back sticking to the road. Fortunately no broken bones. My bike was a 350 cc Yamaha which broke into two and the cow died. Spent five days in the hospital.
There is more than one video like this on YouTube:

AYEDEE likes this.
post #10 of 20 Old 08-24-2014, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've had one accident. I lived in the Midwest, motorcycle and walking were my primary means of transportation. I rode everyday there wasn't snow on the road (ground: yes, road: no). It's about 36F the morning I'm heading to work. As I'm coming up on my favorite section of road (a downhill 3 S curve) I exit the main road and go into my turn. I must have hit some black ice or frozen fog, because I lowsided at about forty miles an hour. I slid/tumbled between thirty to forty feet and the bike went another thirty beyond that, until it stopped itself on a curb. My tumbling/body geometry was that of a drunken drillbit. I slid feet first, spinning along an axis that went from the top of my head through my feet.

I hopped up after landing, pulled the bike up (broken clutch perch, turn signal, mirror and rashed up) and finished riding to work. I was wearing gear (which allowed me to hop back up) and had the hips of an arthritic old man for about a month after that.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page