6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 08-22-2014, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fuel Light

Will someone please inform me at what point the fuel light is supposed to come on? I can't find this information in my hand book.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-22-2014, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDawg View Post
Will someone please inform me at what point the fuel light is supposed to come on? I can't find this information in my hand book.

It should come on with about 1 gal remaining from what I've been told. That information is in the service manual from what I understand but I don't have the service manual to confirm it.

Christopher likes this.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #3 of 22 Old 08-22-2014, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Stone. I have the manual but I couldn't find that info. I finally Googled it and it said @ 3 litres the light should come on. That's approximately 3/4 of a gallon.

post #4 of 22 Old 08-23-2014, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
How far can you drive once the light turns on then approximately?
post #5 of 22 Old 08-23-2014, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testiphony View Post
How far can you drive once the light turns on then approximately?
That would depend on your bike. I figured up my mileage the other day and it was approximately 35 mpg. So if there is about 3/4 of a gallon left when the light comes on I'll get about 26 more miles.

post #6 of 22 Old 08-24-2014, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
The fuel light is listed as comming on when the tank has 0.8 gallons left in it. If you ride more than 30 miles after the light comes on, I would say that one is pushing luck.
post #7 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
26 miles isn't bad for the low fuel light. That is almost assuredly enough distance to get you to a gas station.
post #8 of 22 Old 08-27-2014, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
26 miles isn't bad for the low fuel light. That is almost assuredly enough distance to get you to a gas station.

On my Sportster the light comes on with a gallon left and on the highway that equals about 48 miles in fuel conservation mode..... and I've run out at the pump. There are lots of highways in the West where gas stations are far enough apart that you can get in serious trouble if you happend to pass the very last one as they can be 100 miles apart.

26 miles isn't very far really and I'd like to know that I could have a choice of going on or turning back without running out of gas.

Of note after having my light fixed so it wasn't on all of the time it didn't come on when it should have. I finally ran it down low enough for the light to start flickering on and off and I immediately gased up and it required 3 gallons indicating 1/2 gal left in the tank and that would only take me about 27 miles. That isn't enough of a safety factor for me and I'm having the dealer recalibrate it so that it comes on with 1 gallon remaining. I want that 50 plus mile range.

When I used a petcock with the reserve I always used one that left me with about 50 miles of gas in the tank and there's no reason why a low fuel indication shouldn't do the same. Remember the only reason the low fuel light is required is because fuel injection requires a fuel pump and the pump is mounted in the tank.

post #9 of 22 Old 08-27-2014, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
I can assure you nothing is assured As Stone said, not out here...

StoneFree, CorkyF and UnaClocker like this.
post #10 of 22 Old 08-27-2014, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin On View Post
I can assure you nothing is assured As Stone said, not out here...

If there was a sign two miles back that said "Next Services 50 Miles" then this is exactly like the road I was on when my low fuel warning light came on and I ran out of gas at the pump. LOL

I effectively ran out of gas about 8 miles short of the pump once when the gas station that was along my route went out of business after my trip down that highway a year earlier. The engine would quit in the turns but then refire on the straights which is why I said "effectively" ran out. Fortunately it was on a 10 mile downhill run to the gas stations at Beals Crossing on Hwy 97 where it crosses the Columbia River from Oregon into Washington so I could have coasted the entire way to the pump but, as noted, the engine would fire when I was going straight but when I leaned it over it wouldn't pick up the gas in the tank. It took the full 3.3 gallons when I made it to the pump.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page