harley Davidson Street 500 and 750 is built to succeed in USA, Europe and India - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-28-2013, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
harley Davidson Street 500 and 750 is built to succeed in USA, Europe and India

The Harley Davidson Street 500 and Street 750 bikes are a huge strategic move from Harley Davidson. They are aimed at breaking into the lightweight bike segment at home in the USA, and are also aimed at making inroads to international markets like India and Europe.

In the USA, Harley Davidson has enjoyed a 55% market share of the heavyweight bike market. Now it is looking to compete in the lightweight bike market, which it hasn't been a part of since 1974 when the 350cc Sprint was discontinued. The Street 500 and Street 750 bikes will aim to steal market share away from big names like Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda.

HD wanted to improve its international retail sales to 40% of its total sales by 2014, but the weakness in the European market prompted HD to rethink this. The Street 500 and Street 750 bikes should help European sales though. Both bikes are more affordable, and therefore, more likely to sell in Europe.

It really seems like the new HD Street bikes were built for the Indian market though. It makes sense why HD would want a piece of the Indian market -- it is the second largest motorcycle market in the world. First off, the bikes will be built in India (as well as Missouri.) This should reduce labor costs, which is necessary since the profit margin on these cheaper bikes is less than HD is used to with its larger bikes. Lightweight bikes tend to sell better in India, and beyond that, the HD Street bikes have higher ground clearance, narrower chassis, and new suspension. All of these things should suit the stop-and-go traffic of India nicely.

It really seems like Harley Davidson has built bikes that will help them achieve their goals in multiple different markets. Do you guys see these bikes doing everything they are supposed to across these different markets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
It's a smart move if you ask me. With the majority of population over in India is through motorcycles why not invest on selling in that market. The Indian economy has been on the rise , so where there is money made there is money to be spent.

The only thing is with the euro market with all the transport fees and taxes they end up paying a lot more.

Ride Your Ride and Stay Alive.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-28-2013, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
the street so be a volume model for harley

its a fantastic idea

post #4 of 12 Old 11-28-2013, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
I think it will be harder to get americans on the street 500 and street 750 since they were sort of brought up in a world that favors big harleys and not smaller entry level ones

post #5 of 12 Old 11-29-2013, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhoonigan View Post
I think it will be harder to get americans on the street 500 and street 750 since they were sort of brought up in a world that favors big harleys and not smaller entry level ones
But now that they have the chance to buy a Harley that is lighter and cheaper, why wouldn't Americans buy the HD Street 500/750?

I think there is a demand for it in the States. I'd be more worried about getting sales in Europe.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
The learner rider market here makes up for a large part of annual motorcycle sales & a lot of these people are Harley fans.This model should sell well for HD in Australia, up till now you had go & ride a jap/chinese/korean bike for your first couple of years before you could even think about any type of Harley.

They got a sale from me.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 04:40 PM

is that a bus stop ad for the street?
post #8 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkystreet View Post
is that a bus stop ad for the street?
Yes it is, in small printing it does say "Street 500" "Street 750"

post #9 of 12 Old 12-03-2013, 03:44 PM

thats pretty cool. dont think i've ever seen a motorcycle advert on a bus stop before though.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-03-2013, 07:22 PM

btw i think it's useless that they put a bike ad at the bus stop. it might be an affordable bike but scooters are more likely to appeal to those people

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page