77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 203 Old 09-09-2014, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
That Lag and Leap problem

A few of us on here have experienced problems concerning a lag when you take off from a dead stop and then an immediate acceleration. It throws you off balance and is very alarming. Some of us have experienced fuel light problems. I had both.
The problem? The fuel pump.

After having my fuel pump replaced last week and riding it until one or both of these problems reoccurred, I am happy to say it is fixed.

I rode my 750 until something happened and I am pleased to say the fuel light came on at precisely the correct time. I fueled up with 2.8 gallons which means that there was approximately .7 gallons in the tank,....perfect !
No lag and leap problem was encountered.
I am now a happy camper,..er, rider.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 203 Old 09-09-2014, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Awesome!!!! I have not had any issues since my last fix. But im going to run it down to the light and see if i have any of these issues.
Thanks for the info
post #3 of 203 Old 09-10-2014, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDawg View Post
A few of us on here have experienced problems concerning a lag when you take off from a dead stop and then an immediate acceleration. It throws you off balance and is very alarming. Some of us have experienced fuel light problems. I had both.
The problem? The fuel pump.

After having my fuel pump replaced last week and riding it until one or both of these problems reoccurred, I am happy to say it is fixed.

I rode my 750 until something happened and I am pleased to say the fuel light came on at precisely the correct time. I fueled up with 2.8 gallons which means that there was approximately .7 gallons in the tank,....perfect !
No lag and leap problem was encountered.
I am now a happy camper,..er, rider.

About how many miles did you go before your light came on? I am trying to gage. My light came on when I had 40 miles on my odometer and I thought I was having issues, because I was told that they delivered my bike with a full tank, it was only when I ran out of gas on my second ride that I knew it was not a mechanical issue but a lying tongue issue.
Harlowhickalooper and Sona71 like this.

I am the Beauty of "Beauty and the Beast"

post #4 of 203 Old 09-10-2014, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Anyone know what the mileage range might be? I know with idling, sitting in traffic and all it will make it vary a bit.
post #5 of 203 Old 09-10-2014, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
I really wonder how it could be the fuel pump that is the problem... For it to only happen under certain conditions, I just don't see the logic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic that the fix worked, I'm just gonna remain a little skeptical for now I s'pose.
post #6 of 203 Old 09-10-2014, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVerneKey View Post
About how many miles did you go before your light came on?
My fuel light came on @94.7 miles according to my trip meter.

post #7 of 203 Old 09-10-2014, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTeeFauci View Post
I really wonder how it could be the fuel pump that is the problem... For it to only happen under certain conditions, I just don't see the logic.
Makes perfect sense to me. That Lag-and-Leap thing we were experiencing was only happening when I was low on fuel,...of course I didn't know I was low on fuel because my light never came on.
The light sensor (fuel sensor) is in the fuel pump and when the fuel level gets low enough the pump can't pick up enough gas to supply the engine. Starting from a dead stop sends all the fuel towards the back of the tank and since the pick-up is towards the front of the tank it is momentarily starved of gas. (hence the lag). When the fuel is pushed back towards the front of the tank due to that lag crap, it leaps out from under you once the pick-up has a supply again.
It scared me to death a couple times when it did that and it is dangerous because when it lags like it did you have a tendency to give it more throttle and then when the gas is sloshed back up to the pick-up,....VRROOOOMM !
A novice rider would have been in trouble with a problem like that, and if I hadn't had a firm grip on the handlebars that 750 would have slung me off the bike.

Anyway,....there ya go. Problem solved.
Sona71 likes this.

Last edited by OldDawg; 09-10-2014 at 01:16 PM.
post #8 of 203 Old 09-10-2014, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTeeFauci View Post

Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic that the fix worked, I'm just gonna remain a little skeptical for now I s'pose.
What is the problem with the fuel pump? Is it defective? Will there be a recall?

Makes me nervous to put down an order.
post #9 of 203 Old 09-10-2014, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testiphony View Post
What is the problem with the fuel pump?
Obviously there are some bad fuel pumps being installed at the plant. As far as any recalls? I have no idea, but I will bet you that Harley will ship a new fuel pump at Light Speed when requested.

post #10 of 203 Old 09-10-2014, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDawg View Post
My fuel light came on @94.7 miles according to my trip meter.

Thanks for the information, that give me something to go by, I reset the trip meter when it was filled up last time, so I will more likely never let it get beyound the 90 miles point and considering I have not done a long ride, I will try to remember to hit the station before a ride if I have 40 to 50 miles on the trip meter. Running out of gas was the scariest feeling that I have eperience so far.

I am the Beauty of "Beauty and the Beast"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page