LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 09-15-2014, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFree View Post
It is criminal behavior and should be treated as such.

In Tennessee speeding is NOT a criminal offense,.... and since I was on a divided interstate with no traffic there was no one at risk but me. I'd love to go to a track and let the hammer down but Daytona is over 500 miles away. Just not practical. I'll do it again after my tune up and I'll keep you informed.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 09-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
In Utah, 100 is only 15 over.

In Texas it is already 100 MPH

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK
post #13 of 23 Old 09-15-2014, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I've found that the faster I'm riding the less I'm enjoying the journey....... nothing is more boring to me than a long straight highway and I prefer the twisted roads whenever I can find them. I intentionally seek them out. My favorite road typically have a speed limit of 50 mph or less and the turns are tight enough so that breaking the speed limit is really a silly thing to do.
Not to say I've not gone over 100 mph on a motorcycle but the last time I did it was in the early 1970's. It was really quite boring to go that fast.

Riding the "slab" is relatively boring. I agree that the twisties are exciting, especially with a bike as confident in the corners as my Street Rod. I went 135 mph on a bike many, many years ago. I have no desire to do that kind of stuff any more. Maybe I am just getting old? Nah, can't be, cuz I never intend on growing up.
StoneFree likes this.

post #14 of 23 Old 09-16-2014, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I think that speeding without the skills to go that fast is reckless. Take the Autobahn for instance, does it make everyone reckless that drives over 100 mph? Speed is simply a guidance to keep one safe.
StoneFree likes this.
post #15 of 23 Old 09-16-2014, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gears View Post
BTW "Old Dawg" you need not explain your reasoning for fun
to anyone. Especially total strangers on this forum.
Hopefully you will consider a good exhaust improvement, and A/F tuner in the near future, and if money allows, some ported heads.
That bad boy will really crank then. HAVE FUN!!

Thanks for the tips on improving the speed but I think she is fast enough already. 110 is extremely exhilarating on that motorcycle to me. I know a guy that has a Hyabusa and 180 is nothing for him to do. He has offered to let me ride it but I don't really think I want to go THAT fast on two wheels. That Thruxton I rode a few months back was to much bike for me and I could tell that it was a disaster in the making.
I Love Natalie just as she is.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way !
post #16 of 23 Old 09-18-2014, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
To speed or not speed, is the question. Well it's not strictly Shakespeare, but what the ****?
Do your thing guys and leave each other alone to enjoy the ride. It's still a Harley and riding Harley's is what we all love..... The common thread here, I am sure.
Hope it didn't come out as a sermon?
post #17 of 23 Old 10-10-2014, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Hey OlDawg I am curious, have you done any performance upgrades prior to obtaining those speeds?

I ask because the few times I have "opened-her-up" went as followed:

~400miles ridden collectively: Reached a topspeed of 100mph briefly before the engine clearly sounded like it was at max RPMs

~1600miles ridden collectively (and about 800 miles after getting the SE muffler, airfilter, and download) : Straight up hit the max on the speedometer display of 110MPH on the speedometer and the engine DID NOT sound like it was at max RPMS.

I ask because I am curious how much the difference in top speed was affected by the "break-in" period versus the performance parts?
post #18 of 23 Old 10-11-2014, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
IT never got fast enough for me- Hunter Thompson...
post #19 of 23 Old 10-12-2014, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwabbii View Post
I think that speeding without the skills to go that fast is reckless. Take the Autobahn for instance, does it make everyone reckless that drives over 100 mph? Speed is simply a guidance to keep one safe.

Americans would be shocked by the traffic laws applicable on the Autobahn. For example if a car passes you on the right-hand side, regardless of reason, you can and probably will be cited for obstructing traffic and the fine is huge. Get caught drinking a cup of coffee (or basically any other act other than driving) and you'll you pay a fine of perhaps 1,000 Euros and probably lose your license. They don't put up with the kind of lax driving/riding habits that Americans are used to. Their laws demand that you actually pay attention to what you're doing - DRIVING.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #20 of 23 Old 10-12-2014, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Americans would be shocked by the traffic laws applicable on the Autobahn. For example if a car passes you on the right-hand side, regardless of reason, you can and probably will be cited for obstructing traffic and the fine is huge. Get caught drinking a cup of coffee (or basically any other act other than driving) and you'll you pay a fine of perhaps 1,000 Euros and probably lose your license. They don't put up with the kind of lax driving/riding habits that Americans are used to. Their laws demand that you actually pay attention to what you're doing - DRIVING.
Police is lax in the US? Well, wait till you come see this part of the world....it's probably akin to the famed 'The Wild West' of the years gone by in your country...LOL.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page