5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-15-2014, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
clutch lever span

I have relatively small hands and I am having problems with the span of the clutch lever. Talked to my dealer and they said it is not adjustable and that the only thing they could do was try to bend the clutch lever (this was not the service person, but the salesman). I know I can't be the only person with small hands, and as I am new to motorcycles this year I do not have a lot of knowledge yet. Do they sell adjustable levers or levers that are maybe bent more to accommodate smaller hands? I do not have the same problem with the brake lever, the span on that is almost an inch less than the clutch lever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-15-2014, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I Know What You're Talking About

Me, too: New rider, smaller hands. I can manage the clutch fine and usually have quick smooth gear changes but my left hand feels the strain after riding for a bit while my right hand does not. Love to hear of an adjustment or fix from you more experienced guys.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-15-2014, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by webertiger View Post
Me, too: New rider, smaller hands. I can manage the clutch fine and usually have quick smooth gear changes but my left hand feels the strain after riding for a bit while my right hand does not. Love to hear of an adjustment or fix from you more experienced guys.

You're just using muscles that you haven't used before and it just takes a little time to develop them. Obviously you use the clutch a lot more than the front brake.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.

post #4 of 12 Old 09-15-2014, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt1972 View Post
I have relatively small hands and I am having problems with the span of the clutch lever. Talked to my dealer and they said it is not adjustable and that the only thing they could do was try to bend the clutch lever (this was not the service person, but the salesman). I know I can't be the only person with small hands, and as I am new to motorcycles this year I do not have a lot of knowledge yet. Do they sell adjustable levers or levers that are maybe bent more to accommodate smaller hands? I do not have the same problem with the brake lever, the span on that is almost an inch less than the clutch lever.

Bending the clutch lever isn't much of a deal but it all depends upon how much. The key is that you still need full movement to disengage the clutch. I'd talk with the Service department about what they think can be done before anything else.

Yes, there are after market controls that can be used on the Street but they tend to be expensive.

post #5 of 12 Old 09-15-2014, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage
I also have small hands. My clutch engagement is way out almost to the end of my fingers. I have spoken with the service guys and will have it adjusted at my 1000 mile service. I would suggest that you try adjusting the point where the clutch disengages changed to see if that helps. It does make a difference.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-24-2014, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My bike is in the shop right now having the fuel pump replaced and they are supposed to see what can be done about the clutch lever, I will update when I get the bike back tomorrow.
StoneFree likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-24-2014, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamegirl View Post
I also have small hands. My clutch engagement is way out almost to the end of my fingers. I have spoken with the service guys and will have it adjusted at my 1000 mile service. I would suggest that you try adjusting the point where the clutch disengages changed to see if that helps. It does make a difference.
If I remember correctly Harley Davidson does make clutch levers that are for small hands in their catalog.
Reduced Clutch Reach Handlebar-55800181
AYEDEE likes this.

Last edited by Street500owner2; 09-24-2014 at 09:33 PM.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-25-2014, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt1972 View Post
My bike is in the shop right now having the fuel pump replaced and they are supposed to see what can be done about the clutch lever, I will update when I get the bike back tomorrow.

Well, at least you have the right people looking at what they can actually do (i.e. the service department as opposed to the sales department). Hopefully they can help you out without you having to purchase other hand controls.

Let us know today if they managed to help you.

post #9 of 12 Old 09-25-2014, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
While I don't play in the Harley sandbox, a quality set of adjustable levers (Because if the clutch is too long of a reach, odds are the brake is as well) normally run around 150-200 in the metric world.

This is one of the largest quality of life improvements you can make, and one of the easiest.
StoneFree, HDGuy and Big Rus like this.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-27-2014, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahx View Post
While I don't play in the Harley sandbox, a quality set of adjustable levers (Because if the clutch is too long of a reach, odds are the brake is as well) normally run around 150-200 in the metric world.

This is one of the largest quality of life improvements you can make, and one of the easiest.
this is very true

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page