3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 10-06-2014, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Top Speed on the 500?

Was wondering how fast you guys have gotten up to on your 500s. Im a fairly new rider and dont want to push too hard, I've been on the highway a few times up around 60, with all the wind it feels like I am flying. Thinking about getting a windshield.

Anyhow, feels almost like the engine might be straining at that speed, but with all the wind and outside noise I can't really tell. Curious as to your thoughts! Can you cruise at highway speeds (65-70mph) for long periods on the 500 without doing damage to the engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-06-2014, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley920 View Post
Was wondering how fast you guys have gotten up to on your 500s. Im a fairly new rider and dont want to push too hard, I've been on the highway a few times up around 60, with all the wind it feels like I am flying. Thinking about getting a windshield.

Anyhow, feels almost like the engine might be straining at that speed, but with all the wind and outside noise I can't really tell. Curious as to your thoughts! Can you cruise at highway speeds (65-70mph) for long periods on the 500 without doing damage to the engine?
Did your dealer say anything about a break in period for the engine where you dont go over a set speed until a set amount of miles?

I am the Beauty of "Beauty and the Beast"
post #3 of 26 Old 10-06-2014, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVerneKey View Post
Did your dealer say anything about a break in period for the engine where you dont go over a set speed until a set amount of miles?
Yep, but because there is no tachometer I sort of have to guess. I believe it was <5000rpms in the first 500 miles... not really sure how that matches up to what I am hearing, I just change gears when it feels right haha... and up around 60 i can barely hear the engine anyway.

post #4 of 26 Old 10-06-2014, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I guess a better answer to your question would be no, he didnt give me a set speed to stay under, more a set RPM limit .
post #5 of 26 Old 10-06-2014, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
I guess a better answer to your question would be no, he didnt give me a set speed to stay under, more a set RPM limit .
oh...they gave me a set speed to not to go over until I get to 500, I have it written down but dont quite remember what it was. I was just wondering if that was why you heard what you thought was strain on the engine. I have a 750, just was wondering, that is all.

Oh yea, I put a windshield on my bike and you wont believe what a different it made.

Another question, what gear were you in, did you settle at 5 or did you get it to 6...(I am assuming the 500 is a 6-speed like the 750)...just throwing things at you for thoughts.

I am the Beauty of "Beauty and the Beast"

Last edited by Beauty and the Beast; 10-06-2014 at 03:37 PM. Reason: to ask another question, cause I am nosey (smile)
post #6 of 26 Old 10-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

After engine break-in you can cruise all day long at 65-70. During engine break-in it's best to not do this and instead be sure to shift early and not run at a constant speed. By the time you reach 500 miles the engine is fully broken-in and you can ride at a constant speed of 70 mph (or even faster) on a Street 500 without causing any engine damage. Speeds of 65 mph during break-in, so long as you very your speed often, do not harm the engine because it's not really rev-ing that high at that speed. While I didn't have a tach either I'd guess that the rpm at 60 is about 3500 but have no why of verifying that unless I ran the "gear" numbers. The gearing on the Street is lower than my Sportster and Sportster turns about 3000 rpm at 60 mph so it's just an educated guess on my part.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #7 of 26 Old 10-06-2014, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Very helpful thanks to you both!
post #8 of 26 Old 10-06-2014, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVerneKey View Post
Another question, what gear were you in, did you settle at 5 or did you get it to 6...(I am assuming the 500 is a 6-speed like the 750)...just throwing things at you for thoughts.
I was in 6th, I usually get into 6th pretty quickly on the highway.
post #9 of 26 Old 10-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Very helpful thanks to you both!

Of interest I was talking with my partner that used to race motorcycles and their "break-in" was 15-20 minutes of revving a new engine in the garage and then race it. This is very similar to what we did when I was involved in NASCAR racing. Of course our machining was probably better than for a production engine but we basically worried about seating the rings and then it was race time. We also blew up engines once in awhile but we never blamed it on break-in. LOL

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #10 of 26 Old 10-07-2014, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage
I have gotten my 500 up to 80 mph. That was on a slight down hill with the wind at my back. That was a quick check to see if the bike would go that fast. 70-75 is my normal freeway speed when possible. Mostly I end up lane splitting (it is legal here in CA) my primary use of the bike is commuting.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page