I'm about to buy new iron 883... but, - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-29-2014, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I'm about to buy new iron 883... but,

Iím in the Australian market for urban cruiser and shortlisted my next future bike to HD sportster iron 883 & Yamaha Bolt Spec-R

After researching online review and test riding both bikes I have decided to go with 883 if I could resolve couple of my concerns,

-reliability : would HD have reliability issue compared ever so reliable yamaha?
-Front & rear suspension: is there a way to soften the suspension that HD will recognise and not void warranty?
-ground clearance: again, is there way to shift foot pegs keeping the HD factory look that HD will recognise and not void warranty?
-brake: would better branded brake pads change how they bite?

I want that extra comfort but most of all I donít want to change , swap anything that wont void warrenty.

Thanks guys please help me out getting into my first Harley Davidson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-30-2014, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
The 883 is an extremely reliable motorcycle that matches any motorcycle on the market. Mechanically all Harley Davidsons are extremely reliable.

The only issues related to Harley's tend to be potential electrical problems with all of the accessory lights, stereo, and other add-on options as that is where virtually all warranty work occurs according the the motorcycle publications I read. This is overwhelmingly related to the large Harley's like the Road King and Classic because they tend to have the most electrical accessories. Harley is not unique with this problem as it's common with all brands.

The 883 doesn't come with a lot of electrical accessory options. A new Harley Sportster is ready to go for well over 100,000 miles without any anticipated problems occurring so long as routine service is provided for the bike. It's been over seven years since I purchased my Sportster ('07 XL50 1200) new and all it's needed is the normal service and oil changes. I've not heard of any Sportster owners having any significant problems in recent years. It's pretty much a saddle-up and go motorcycle.

Is there a reason why you're not showing any interest in the Street 500 or Street 750?

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-30-2014, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Good question about not showing any interest in the 500 or 750, i'm also curious about this. Maybe it will have me interested in the 883.

post #4 of 17 Old 10-31-2014, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheelin View Post
Good question about not showing any interest in the 500 or 750, i'm also curious about this. Maybe it will have me interested in the 883.

As both a Sportster and Street owner I really appeciate both motorcycles. They each offer a unique riding experience and are distinctly different. While I can ride either it seems the Street is more fun on my local canyon and country riding while the Sportster is my preferred choice for long road trips. With my riding being about equal in both categories it would now be hard for me to just have one and not the other. This sort of takes us to the "biker" credo:

If you have room in the garage you need another motorcycle.
If you don't have room in the garage for another motorcycle then you need another garage.

post #5 of 17 Old 10-31-2014, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFree View Post

Is there a reason why you're not showing any interest in the Street 500 or Street 750?
I was also curious, so I did some research and it does not seem that the street 500 or 750 is available in Australia, that could be the lack of interest.

I am the Beauty of "Beauty and the Beast"
post #6 of 17 Old 10-31-2014, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
My understanding is only the 500 is being imported to Australia.

I assume you have some of the same manufacturers importing or manufacturing in Australia that we have here in the States.

Arnott makes some really nice shocks for the Sportster. That will soften up the rear.

You already have the best forks on the market up front. Best way to handle the Showa Forks is to have them valved differently if you want it softer. This will increase the front end absorption greatly. However if you are worried about pogo that is a simple heavier oil to cure.

Up here in the States not many HD shops can valve that Showa front end. I usually end up at a metric shop that handles showa.

Reliability is fantastic on these machines. While the Old AMF years still have people speaking of pushing you Harley to the event, that has not existed for almost 3 decades now. Though you will want to do the fluid changes on schedule, not that anything bad will happen if you go over, but lubrication is to damnn important and to damnn cheap to skimp out on.......

There are tons of options for foot controls. In the USA these will not in anyway affect the warranty. I know they ship to Australia, but don't know if they have stock in a bonded warehouse there or ship from the states. But jpcycles.com has tons of stuff for the Harley Sportster you can spend as much as you want on it....

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK
post #7 of 17 Old 10-31-2014, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
The 500 model street will be released in Australia in Feb according to the latest info.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-01-2014, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbally View Post
My understanding is only the 500 is being imported to Australia.

I assume you have some of the same manufacturers importing or manufacturing in Australia that we have here in the States.

Arnott makes some really nice shocks for the Sportster. That will soften up the rear.

You already have the best forks on the market up front. Best way to handle the Showa Forks is to have them valved differently if you want it softer. This will increase the front end absorption greatly. However if you are worried about pogo that is a simple heavier oil to cure.

Up here in the States not many HD shops can valve that Showa front end. I usually end up at a metric shop that handles showa.

Reliability is fantastic on these machines. While the Old AMF years still have people speaking of pushing you Harley to the event, that has not existed for almost 3 decades now. Though you will want to do the fluid changes on schedule, not that anything bad will happen if you go over, but lubrication is to damnn important and to damnn cheap to skimp out on.......

There are tons of options for foot controls. In the USA these will not in anyway affect the warranty. I know they ship to Australia, but don't know if they have stock in a bonded warehouse there or ship from the states. But jpcycles.com has tons of stuff for the Harley Sportster you can spend as much as you want on it....
Changing the suspension affects the handling of the motorcycle and typically for riding on the road the stiffer the suspension the better the handling characteristics. I wonder why people want a softer suspension. A softer front fork suspension is probably going to result in the motorcycle "pushing" going into a turn and the Street 750 already has a minor push going into a turn (according to my partner that's a road racing expert) so why would someone desire this reduced turning capability. Under braking going into a turn the motorcycle will "plow" more with softer front suspension. Not something I'd want.

I will note that on all motorcycles I've owned I've always increased the stiffness of the rear suspension (because it's easy to do). I would never want it softer than what the factory provides.

bbally likes this.

post #9 of 17 Old 11-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
The 500 model street will be released in Australia in Feb according to the latest info.
That would certainly be a determining factor for someone that wants a motorcycle this year as opposed to next year.

post #10 of 17 Old 11-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFree View Post
Changing the suspension affects the handling of the motorcycle and typically for riding on the road the stiffer the suspension the better the handling characteristics. I wonder why people want a softer suspension. A softer front fork suspension is probably going to result in the motorcycle "pushing" going into a turn and the Street 750 already has a minor push going into a turn (according to my partner that's a road racing expert) so why would someone desire this reduced turning capability. Under braking going into a turn the motorcycle will "plow" more with softer front suspension. Not something I'd want.

I will note that on all motorcycles I've owned I've always increased the stiffness of the rear suspension (because it's easy to do). I would never want it softer than what the factory provides.

I agree. But I would imagine local roads with large holes might benefits from softer suspension.

I personally have a thing about pogo so I generally increase the fork oil weight.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page