Newbie with a question on new paint job - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

7Likes
  • 2 Post By StoneFree
  • 3 Post By bow2986
  • 1 Post By stude
  • 1 Post By StoneFree

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-03-2015, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Newbie with a question on new paint job

Hi everybody, I'm from Australia and have put down a deposit on a new street 500, which I was told by the dealer I should have by the end of February. I plan on doing a few mods so thanks to all the people who have posted the mods they have done. I plan on doing a new paint job also, is it a badge on the tank or a sticker? If badge, is it easy to remove and put back on and how? I really appreciate any replies regarding this from you owners. This is a great forum with heaps of info, thanks to everyone who has contributed, safe riding all
Mick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-03-2015, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bow2986 View Post
Hi everybody, I'm from Australia and have put down a deposit on a new street 500, which I was told by the dealer I should have by the end of February. I plan on doing a few mods so thanks to all the people who have posted the mods they have done. I plan on doing a new paint job also, is it a badge on the tank or a sticker? If badge, is it easy to remove and put back on and how? I really appreciate any replies regarding this from you owners. This is a great forum with heaps of info, thanks to everyone who has contributed, safe riding all
Mick
The Harley-Davidson emblem on the tank is held on adhesively and can be removed for painting and then re-attached. Just use a really good adhesive and ensure that the surfaces are really clean before re-applying the emblem.

Of note have the dealer install the battery tender pigtail prior to taking possession. It's a realy pain in the ass to do for yourself and it's costly to have the dealer do it later. Have them include it in the "set-up" charges that you will probably have to pay for anyway.

Solo750owner and AYEDEE like this.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-04-2015, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
G'day Stone free, thanks heaps for the reply, I appreciate the advice on the battery tender and will ask for this to be done in the set-up procedure. Is there a trick to removing the tank badges or would it be done the same way as a car badge, lightly heat badge with hair dryer and fishing line behind it? Also I've been following your thread, what an inspiration and great bloke your brother must have been, all the best
Mick
StoneFree, Solo750owner and AYEDEE like this.

post #4 of 9 Old 01-04-2015, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
G'day Stone free, thanks heaps for the reply, I appreciate the advice on the battery tender and will ask for this to be done in the set-up procedure. Is there a trick to removing the tank badges or would it be done the same way as a car badge, lightly heat badge with hair dryer and fishing line behind it? Also I've been following your thread, what an inspiration and great bloke your brother must have been, all the best
Mick
Yes, I'd apply a little heat to soften the adhesive although I'd probably be a bit hasty and try to pop it off with a putty knife or something. It might lightly scratch the tank but the tank should have filler applied and block sanded before painting anyway. I never paint any sheet metal without applying a filler and block sanding it prior to the paint job. I want it to be smooooooooooth before painting. There are good spray filler/primer paints that fill any minor imperfections.

post #5 of 9 Old 01-07-2015, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Garage
You can try using dental floss to cut through the adhesive tape on the badge. Keep away from the tank as much as possible. Then you can "roll" off the remaining adhesive tape with your thumb, or clean it off with a special type of adhesive remover available at your local auto parts store.
StoneFree likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-10-2015, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Regardless of how you get the emblem off I recommend using a good automotive primer filler (like Dupli Color) and block sanding with 600 grit wet-dry sandpaper. Use it wet for the block sanding. I also recommend trying your hand using aerosol spray paints as opposed to purchasing an HVLP spray gun and automotive paints by the pint or quart that can be very expensive. The quality of aerosol spray paints is very good and the worst thing that can happen is that you have to sand it down and redo imperfections. The aerosol spray paints can be color sanding just like the automotive paints for a perfect finish.

Paint & Accessories | Aerosol Paint | Dupli-Color® Filler Primer Red 11 Oz. Aerosol - FP102 - Pkg Qty 6 | B659121 - GlobalIndustrial.com

Solo750owner likes this.

post #7 of 9 Old 01-14-2015, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
So what kind of paint are you planning on doing? Color? Finish?
post #8 of 9 Old 02-18-2015, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
my bike is getting painted the same color as my holden 2012 Ve ute, the color is called "wildfire" it is a orange/ gold color, limited run of this color so you don't see it very often in Australia. I have a local spray painter painting it professionally for me. Should have my bike in about a week or two, cheers
post #9 of 9 Old 02-18-2015, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
my bike is getting painted the same color as my holden 2012 Ve ute, the color is called "wildfire" it is a orange/ gold color, limited run of this color so you don't see it very often in Australia. I have a local spray painter painting it professionally for me. Should have my bike in about a week or two, cheers
Well don't be shy about showing it off here after its painted and re-assembled.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page