500/750 Rear Brake Adjustment - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 01-07-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
500/750 Rear Brake Adjustment

My rear brake pedal is too low, I have to rotate my foot forward more than I like. Has anyone adjusted or modified the rear brake pedal? Looking at the hardware, there appears to be a second hole in the bracket that attaches the pedal to the shaft, I wonder if this can be used to change the pedal position. I do see the adjustment for the pedal, but there is no room to get a wrench on the hardware. The backing nut looks doable, but the actual adjustable part only has two flat surfaces, making it very difficult to get a tool on.
Christopher likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-22-2015, 07:38 PM
MGG

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I have the same problem. I have found an aftermarket part that will raise it a little because it is a thicker pedal. HD part number 50600037 Small SlipStreem brake pedal. Not sure how much it raises it but it fits the Street 500 and 750. Maybe this will be enough. Think I am going to try it and will report my findings.

One of the members added a 1 inch to 2 inch door stop to their bike. This seams like it would be about perfect but not sure I want to go this route. What ever I do it has to be stable. These are brakes we are talking about and I need them for stopping. Still another person ether bent or cut and re-welded the pedal at an angle. He mentioned that he may do it again to get it even better.

I keep hoping someone is going to come out with an aftermarket pedal (pad) that will attach to the original brake lever and raise it about 1.5 to 2.5 inches this should work.
Christopher and JONBERG like this.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-10-2016, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was looking for this information! thank you, guys!

post #4 of 21 Old 02-11-2016, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
It can be adjusted at the brake linkage. Turnbuckle with a nut on each end. I've done this many times, still looking for the best position.
post #5 of 21 Old 02-11-2016, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
I looked into putting the 2016 brake setup on my 2015. Way too costly because more than just the brake pedal has to be changed. Evey thing, right back past the rear brake reservoir has to be switched over for it to work. IMHO it wasn't worth the money to make "that" change.
Christopher likes this.

I hate autocorrect. I always end up posting some thong I didn't Nintendo.

2015 XG750 Street - Denim Black (Sold)
2010 Suzuki C50T
2007 Kawasaki KLXs (Sold in 2010)
post #6 of 21 Old 02-11-2016, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obtuse View Post
My rear brake pedal is too low, I have to rotate my foot forward more than I like.

Not sure the pedal is too low, it's that it requires such a large range of movement ( travel distance ) to fully engage the brake. Had mine adjusted by the dealer when voiced concerns, they adjusted the turnbuckles(?), improved, but still way too much travel.
A shorter pedal ( ie pedal closer to the footpeg ) may help as smaller radius of turn. Or cut off current pedal (foot part only) and drill and bolt new pedal closer to footpeg.
But am really just biding my ( wife's) time until upgrade to an open licence bike.
post #7 of 21 Old 02-11-2016, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I removed the OME adjuster and fitted a longer one, I used S/S turnbuckle 1 " longer than the original. Then I removed the rubber off of the bottom of the foot peg, then I made the radius of the brake lever where it runs under the foot peg deeper.t By doing these three things I was able to lift the pedal to a height that suits me. I can now lock the rear brake at will.
The longer turnbuckle I accessed from a boat fittings supply shop.

Shafty Old Bugga
post #8 of 21 Old 02-12-2016, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Subike, the dealership is telling me they have to remove the exhaust in order to remove the OEM adjuster is this correct? Also do you know the size and length of the original bolt? Thank You

Last edited by vinman0725; 02-12-2016 at 01:32 AM.
post #9 of 21 Old 02-12-2016, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
Subike, your replacement adjustable linkage appears at the moment to be one of the better ways of getting a more usable rear brake effect. Would it be possible to get a manufacturer and part number so we can look for an equivalent replacement in other countries?
10-64 likes this.

2015 Street 750 Vivid Black
post #10 of 21 Old 02-12-2016, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subike View Post
I removed the OME adjuster and fitted a longer one, I used S/S turnbuckle 1 " longer than the original. Then I removed the rubber off of the bottom of the foot peg, then I made the radius of the brake lever where it runs under the foot peg deeper.t By doing these three things I was able to lift the pedal to a height that suits me. I can now lock the rear brake at will.
The longer turnbuckle I accessed from a boat fittings supply shop.
Pics of this mod would be great!
Christopher and Eggy like this.

I hate autocorrect. I always end up posting some thong I didn't Nintendo.

2015 XG750 Street - Denim Black (Sold)
2010 Suzuki C50T
2007 Kawasaki KLXs (Sold in 2010)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page