post #1 of 5 Old 03-03-2015, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Road Trips Planned for 2015

Every year I like to make at least one major road trip and I always spend the time planning often just to ensure fuel stops along the route. Sometimes I travel long stretches of road with few gas stations along the route so that's always important to check out. I thought it would be good to start a thread for others to share their road trip planning.

As for me I'm planning a trip in May that will cross the deserts before they get too hot for the year. I use Google Maps to figure out distances and times but I've also been know to deviate from even the best of plans.

May 2015 Trip Route

(Travel times do not include stops)

Home (near Seattle WA) > Bend OR (6:22 h 361.27 miles)
Thursday May 21-22
Takes me over the Mt Hood highway.

Bend OR > Carson City NV (7:22 h 417.14 miles)
Friday May 22-23-24 (Saturday layover - Virginia City?)
Takes me through the Modoc National Forest

Carson City NV > Las Vegas NV (6:56 h 437.17 miles)
Sunday May 24-25
Desert, desert, and more desert, start at the crack of dawn to make Las Vegas before it gets too hot.

Las Vegas NV > Grand Canyon National Park > Flagstaff AZ (5:48 h 355.02 miles)
Monday May 25-26
The Grand Canyon plus the forests around Flagstaff.

Flagstaff AZ > Sedona AZ > Cottonwood AZ (1:11 h 48.34 miles)
Tuesday May 26-27-28 (Wednesday layover)
Oak Creek Canyon plus Sedona and Jerome

Cottonwood AZ > Kingman AZ > Needles CA > Ludlow CA > Barstow CA (6:01 h 382.61 miles)
Thursday May 28-29
An interesting route I've never been on. Ludlow is the only gas stop between Needles and Barstow

Barstow CA > Sylmar CA > Malibu CA > Port Hueneme CA (4:35 h 282.65 miles)
Friday May 29-30
This starts my trip up the Pacific Coast. It avoids going through downtown Los Angeles and instead enters through the San Fernando Valley and straight to Malibu.

Port Hueneme CA > Monterey CA (4:37 h 278.94 miles)
Saturday May 30-31
All of this is along the Pacific Coast line and Big Sur.

Monterey CA > Eureka CA (6:23 h 385.54 miles)
Sunday May 31-June 1
Takes me inland, over the Golden Gate Bridge, and through the Redwood Forest.

Eureka CA > Newport OR (6:03 h 312.89 miles)
Monday June 1-3 (Tuesday layover)
Up the Oregon Coast which is an exceptionally good ride. Spending two nights on the beach in Newport at one of my favorite motels.

Newport OR > Home (5:43 h 318.95 miles)
Wednesday June 3
There's also a "long way" route that I might take to get home. It's a much more enjoyable ride that will take all day.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.

Last edited by StoneFree; 03-03-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-03-2015, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFree View Post
Every year I like to make at least one major road trip and I always spend the time planning often just to ensure fuel stops along the route. Sometimes I travel long stretches of road with few gas stations along the route so that's always important to check out. I thought it would be good to start a thread for others to share their road trip planning.

As for me I'm planning a trip in May that will cross the deserts before they get too hot for the year. I use Google Maps to figure out distances and times but I've also been know to deviate from even the best of plans.

May 2015 Trip Route

(Travel times do not include stops)

Home (near Seattle WA) > Bend OR (6:22 h 361.27 miles)
Thursday May 21-22
Takes me over the Mt Hood highway.

Bend OR > Carson City NV (7:22 h 417.14 miles)
Friday May 22-23-24 (Saturday layover - Virginia City?)
Takes me through the Modoc National Forest

Carson City NV > Las Vegas NV (6:56 h 437.17 miles)
Sunday May 24-25
Desert, desert, and more desert, start at the crack of dawn to make Las Vegas before it gets too hot.

Las Vegas NV > Grand Canyon National Park > Flagstaff AZ (5:48 h 355.02 miles)
Monday May 25-26
The Grand Canyon plus the forests around Flagstaff.

Flagstaff AZ > Sedona AZ > Cottonwood AZ (1:11 h 48.34 miles)
Tuesday May 26-27-28 (Wednesday layover)
Oak Creek Canyon plus Sedona and Jerome

Cottonwood AZ > Kingman AZ > Needles CA > Ludlow CA > Barstow CA (6:01 h 382.61 miles)
Thursday May 28-29
An interesting route I've never been on. Ludlow is the only gas stop between Needles and Barstow

Barstow CA > Sylmar CA > Malibu CA > Port Hueneme CA (4:35 h 282.65 miles)
Friday May 29-30
This starts my trip up the Pacific Coast. It avoids going through downtown Los Angeles and instead enters through the San Fernando Valley and straight to Malibu.

Port Hueneme CA > Monterey CA (4:37 h 278.94 miles)
Saturday May 30-31
All of this is along the Pacific Coast line and Big Sur.

Monterey CA > Eureka CA (6:23 h 385.54 miles)
Sunday May 31-June 1
Takes me inland, over the Golden Gate Bridge, and through the Redwood Forest.

Eureka CA > Newport OR (6:03 h 312.89 miles)
Monday June 1-3 (Tuesday layover)
Up the Oregon Coast which is an exceptionally good ride. Spending two nights on the beach in Newport at one of my favorite motels.

Newport OR > Home (5:43 h 318.95 miles)
Wednesday June 3
There's also a "long way" route that I might take to get home. It's a much more enjoyable ride that will take all day.
That about 3600 miles in about 40days? I salute your stamina and determination Sir! It's one heck of a long ride and I am sure it will be quite an adventure.Wishing you all the best in advance.
I hope to hear all about it once you are back or maybe you post details alongside. It's the best way to see the country.
My longest drive (in a 4 wheeler) has been 2700 km and on a bike 1400 km so far.
Take pictures if you can and post them.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-03-2015, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYEDEE View Post
That about 3600 miles in about 40days? I salute your stamina and determination Sir! It's one heck of a long ride and I am sure it will be quite an adventure.Wishing you all the best in advance.
I hope to hear all about it once you are back or maybe you post details alongside. It's the best way to see the country.
My longest drive (in a 4 wheeler) has been 2700 km and on a bike 1400 km so far.
Take pictures if you can and post them.
I didn't check the total mileage but 3600 miles is about right. The trip will only last two weeks and not 40-days. It really isn't all that far per day with slightly over 400 miles in one day being about the maximum. By way of comparison I just drove 1700 miles in two days over this last weekend in a 1985 El Camino I picked up in Arizona and have ridden 750 miles in a single day. I don't like doing that many miles in a day as it stops being about the ride and is instead about reaching the destination.

AYEDEE likes this.

Last edited by StoneFree; 03-03-2015 at 08:59 PM.

post #4 of 5 Old 03-08-2015, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Spring Ride Plans

What are everyone's plans for a spring ride? Mine are riding to Beaufort SC for the Blue Angels Show. There are a few of us who make it a yearly ride to catch a show somewhere. Nothing better than being on a MCAS watching all the talented kids

post #5 of 5 Old 03-08-2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahok19 View Post
What are everyone's plans for a spring ride? Mine are riding to Beaufort SC for the Blue Angels Show. There are a few of us who make it a yearly ride to catch a show somewhere. Nothing better than being on a MCAS watching all the talented kids

Sounds cool. Love watching the Blue Angels and they come to Seattle every year for the unlimited hydroplane races.

Is this a short day trip or a longer road trip that will take two more more days?

PS - As a moderator I merged this with the thread on 2015 road trips. Hope you don't mind but they seemed to be the same basic topic. Dennis

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page