Push and Jump starting HD cycles - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

7Likes
  • 2 Post By ahok19
  • 3 Post By stude
  • 1 Post By Haulin on a Lo
  • 1 Post By StoneFree

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-14-2015, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Push and Jump starting HD cycles

I wanted to check procedures for starting a big Harley V-twin with dead or depleted battery when you're stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Push or compression engine starting:
If you can get the bike to a downward incline spot on the road, is it better to put in 1st or 2nd gear, before rolling bike and releasing clutch and hitting the starter? Has anyone tried this on a big V-twin on level ground and your by your lonesome? I can roll my bike reasonably well on level ground but getting any kind of momentum is impossible.
Jump starting:
Odds are a motorcyclist with a dead battery would need a jump start from a car or truck, and as long as donor battery is 12 volts its okay, right? Ensure bike is in neutral. Then, positive cable to positive cable. Negative of donor battery to frame of bike, any particular place on frame better than others? Start engine of donor vehicle, rev engine, run for a minute or so, and then try cycle starter. Is that about right or did I miss anything?

AYEDEE and Haulin on a Lo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-14-2015, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahok19 View Post
I wanted to check procedures for starting a big Harley V-twin with dead or depleted battery when you're stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Push or compression engine starting:
If you can get the bike to a downward incline spot on the road, is it better to put in 1st or 2nd gear, before rolling bike and releasing clutch and hitting the starter? Has anyone tried this on a big V-twin on level ground and your by your lonesome? I can roll my bike reasonably well on level ground but getting any kind of momentum is impossible.
Jump starting:
Odds are a motorcyclist with a dead battery would need a jump start from a car or truck, and as long as donor battery is 12 volts its okay, right? Ensure bike is in neutral. Then, positive cable to positive cable. Negative of donor battery to frame of bike, any particular place on frame better than others? Start engine of donor vehicle, rev engine, run for a minute or so, and then try cycle starter. Is that about right or did I miss anything?

Yes, get a battery tender to keep battery charged to capacity when motorcycle not in use where you store away bike.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-14-2015, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I'd say second gear, first might put you over the handle bars.

www.youtube.com/howlonwheels
Motorcycle Film Festival
1973 CB500 Four
2015 HD Street 750

post #4 of 9 Old 03-14-2015, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Garage
I doubt that you can roll start a fuel injected bike with a dead battery. You would need power to run the fuel pump, ecm, and injectors before it has any chance of firing up.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-15-2015, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
If you've got a completely flat battery, you are out of luck. If it's not strong enough to turn over the starter, but you do hear the pump engage when you turn the bike to ON, I've seen people get them going.

www.youtube.com/howlonwheels
Motorcycle Film Festival
1973 CB500 Four
2015 HD Street 750
post #6 of 9 Old 03-20-2015, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have one of these in my Harley bag of tricks.. useful, but have never had occasion to use it- its good for up to 4 cylinder engines. Not sure about the fuel pump- would imagine there are some left over vapors in the fuel system to get the engine ticking over and providing a spark? But you would need to have some sort of tender connection to the battery..

https://www.google.co.in/webhp?sourc...20jump%20start

Jay
post #7 of 9 Old 03-20-2015, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
If you have 9v or less on the battery, you won't be able to push start your EFI Harley. If it has a carb then start pushing and dump that clutch. Boosting it with cables is the same as you would with any other 12v battery.
StoneFree likes this.

Some days I like to go fast and other days I like to try stupid things on my bikes.

www.youtube.com/user/haulinonalo

Last edited by Haulin on a Lo; 03-20-2015 at 12:03 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-20-2015, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulin on a Lo View Post
If you have 9v or less on the battery, you won't be able to push start your EFI Harley. If it has a carb then start pushing and dump that clutch. Boosting it with cables is the same as you would with any other 12v battery.
Absolutely accurate. In point of fact I'd never even attempt to push start an EFI engine on a dead battery. My rule of thumb is that if it doesn't have enough battery to turn over the engine it doesn't have enough battery for the EFI to work properly. Yes, you can use another 12v battery to jump start it but even that is a questionable practice. Why is the battery dead? You don't fix that problem by jump starting the motorcycle. If it's in the garage and the battery is dead put a charger on it and go drink a beer. When it's charged ride down to the Harley dealer and have them check the battery. Allowing a battery to run down and go dead is very harmful to the battery and often requires replacement to fix the problem.

Haulin on a Lo likes this.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-21-2015, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
I'm a dumb ass and have hit the kill switch a few times when I've gotten to the house and left the ignition turned on. That's the downside to the key less fobs on the bigger Harley's if you're absent minded like myself, some days.

Some days I like to go fast and other days I like to try stupid things on my bikes.

www.youtube.com/user/haulinonalo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page