13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 04-19-2015, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Pre-Load

I was looking thru the owners manual and read about the pre-load settings for the rear shocks. I went out to look at my bike and saw that mine is set on 1 (I think they all come that way from the factory) and based on my weight I need it on 3. So I went back to the dealership and asked them for the tool for adjusting the pre-load on the shocks. $11.00 dollars later I am headed home ready to do the adjustments. Well one thing lead to another and 2 weeks later I still haven't set the pre-load. I am getting ready to do a little ride (150 miles) and I decide that before I head out I would take the time to set it. Low and Behold the wrench does not fit. I look in the catalog and it says that the wrench is universal. I check the owners manual and the part number for the wrench is different than the catalog. I go on my ride knowing that after the ride I was headed back to the dealership for my 1000 mile service. I picked up the bike today and went to return the wrench and get the right one and the parts guy says that it the right one. I tell him it does not fit. He says sure it does. So I said show me. We go over to a 750 on the showroom floor and he tries to use the wrench and guess what it doesn't fit. I gave the wrench part number that is called out in the owners manual and he goes to look it up and apparently it does not exist. After getting my money back I go back over to service and ask the service tech how much to set the preload on my bike. He goes back to grab a service guy and they come out whit a tool and go over to my bike to make the adjustment. Well their tool doesn't work either. I know this has been a little long winded but I just want to get my shocks adjusted. Has anyone had any luck getting the right tool to do this?

Patrick
Las Vegas
Black Mountain HOG Chapter
750 Street
Mysterious Red Sunglo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-20-2015, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
yep, been there, done that.

I had essentially the same experience. I used a strap wrench to make initial adjustments when my dealer couldn't help me. When I ordered the correct wrench from the dealer, they were able to order for me. I ordered 2 of them, figuring I would donate the extra to the service department, so future riders wouldn't have the same problem. When I did my 1000 mile service I took the wrench to the service department and the tech,remembering the issue from a couple months ago, was appreciative for the gift. He immediately got out a sharpie and wrote STREET on both sides of the wrench. When I was checking out the next day after my service he explained that the synthetic oil, I had ordered usually required payment of a premium, but since he appreciated the wrench, he didn't do the extra charge for the synthetic.
Anyway, go to the parts department and ask for part number "14900048". It should be about $5.00 and is called "tool kit" If you say you are looking for the shock wrench they will try to sell you the "universal" wrench, which we know isn't universal. Just ask them to look up the part number and they can find it.

Not all those who wander are lost.

Last edited by CO WanderZest; 04-20-2015 at 12:23 AM. Reason: correcting part number
post #3 of 21 Old 04-20-2015, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I received a tool from the dealership along with some first aid stuff for minor scratches. The tool is weird, stamped out of a sheet of metal, and seems not to fit, but you can make it happen- I have adjusted, then re-adjusted both my rear shocks with it. It came with the "tool kit" so I didn't pay anything extra..

post #4 of 21 Old 04-20-2015, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I just took a dremel to the other wrench and made it fit then again I have worked as a gunsmith so making tools fit is second nature. A grinder works well to mod the other wrench as well.
StoneFree, Solo750owner and Epijay like this.

Living the dream
post #5 of 21 Old 04-20-2015, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
My partner had a wrench in his tool box that fit but I have no idea what type of motorcycle it is actually for. He probably knows but I don't. I know the wrench for my Sportster (the "univeral" wrench) didn't fit. LOL

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #6 of 21 Old 04-29-2015, 12:47 AM

Garage
The correct shock absorber wrench is 14900048

The wrench on the left is the not-so-universal "Universal Wrench"
The ond on the right is listed as Tool Kit Part 14900048
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wrenches.jpg (60.1 KB, 74 views)

post #7 of 21 Old 04-29-2015, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
The one on the right is what I described as being received from the dealership with the first aid kit.. The large round part fits into the shock's base but takes a little maneuvering to get it right.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-29-2015, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO WanderZest View Post
The correct shock absorber wrench is 14900048

The wrench on the left is the not-so-universal "Universal Wrench"
The ond on the right is listed as Tool Kit Part 14900048
how much is it?/
post #9 of 21 Old 04-29-2015, 10:43 PM

Garage
$4.95 and I apologize the part number 14900048 is outdated.Now it needs an "A" at the end, so it is 14900048A. I have found this happening with other parts, so if you are trying to order something and the store doesn't seem to find it, you might try asking them to add an "A" to the end of the numbers. And I suppose in the future, a "B" or a "C".

post #10 of 21 Old 06-15-2016, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Oscar Calvete
I had the same problem, thanks for sharing.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page