Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

It's not just the fuel pump causing the surge, lag/leap problem

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ElTeeFauci 
#1 ·
Even with the fuel pump replaced you will likely have the the surge or lag/leap problem sooner than later. The rotor of the alternators are defective. HD service departments have begun examining the "teeth" on the [front] of the rotor. They are looking for broken, chipped or defective "teeth". The problem is most dealers don't have the special tool to pull the rotor to examine the back side. The back side is where the problem seems to be most of the time. The key-way in the rotor that keeps the rotor inline with the shaft becomes wallowed out due to poor quality metal and poor quality fitment. This alignment does have something to do with the timing sensor pick-up - so as it gets sloppy so does your timing.

Once the dealer locates this problem your problem has only began. HD doesn't have any replacement rotors. Or at least that's their story. The fact seems to be the Chinese manufacture can't fix the poor quality metal fatigue problem and there are no replacement parts available. All the low quality production parts are going into new build at the assembly plant.

Like any other 3rd world QC they just hope it doesn't fail until after your warranty expires. If it does, so what, bring it back and they give you another - kinda like what you experience when you by Chinese junk at Walmart and it breaks.

See less See more
#2 ·
I will go in tomorrow and see if there are any problems getting the rotor and what special tool is required for this.

Chris

#6 ·
Posted this in the NHTSA thread:

"Thanks for the info. There is nothing on the service net about this, but I can use this to help my techs diagnose if we have a Street come in with these problems (we have not so far).

I can verify that the rotor is on back order with no ETA date as of this morning.

The rotor also requires 2 tools to remove; a puller and locking tool. We have both in the shop, so not sure if they are Street specific."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.