It's not just the fuel pump causing the surge, lag/leap problem - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-23-2015, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation It's not just the fuel pump causing the surge, lag/leap problem

Even with the fuel pump replaced you will likely have the the surge or lag/leap problem sooner than later. The rotor of the alternators are defective. HD service departments have begun examining the "teeth" on the [front] of the rotor. They are looking for broken, chipped or defective "teeth". The problem is most dealers don't have the special tool to pull the rotor to examine the back side. The back side is where the problem seems to be most of the time. The key-way in the rotor that keeps the rotor inline with the shaft becomes wallowed out due to poor quality metal and poor quality fitment. This alignment does have something to do with the timing sensor pick-up - so as it gets sloppy so does your timing.

Once the dealer locates this problem your problem has only began. HD doesn't have any replacement rotors. Or at least that's their story. The fact seems to be the Chinese manufacture can't fix the poor quality metal fatigue problem and there are no replacement parts available. All the low quality production parts are going into new build at the assembly plant.

Like any other 3rd world QC they just hope it doesn't fail until after your warranty expires. If it does, so what, bring it back and they give you another - kinda like what you experience when you by Chinese junk at Walmart and it breaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-23-2015, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I will go in tomorrow and see if there are any problems getting the rotor and what special tool is required for this.

Chris

Harley-Davidson Service Advisor
Street 500/750 Safety Recalls/Product Programs/Non-Compliance Recalls:
-2015 HARLEY-DAVIDSON STREET FUEL TANK - SAFETY RECALL 0161
-2015 STREET LICENSE PLATE REFLECTOR REGULATORY NON-COMPLIANCE RECALL CODE 0620
-PRODUCT PROGRAM 0919: 2015 STREET MODELS RIGHT SIDE RIDER FOOT CONTROL MOUNTING SCREWS
post #3 of 8 Old 05-24-2015, 04:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Thanks for digging this out guys. It'll be of great help to us all.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-24-2015, 11:45 AM

Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Garage
I will certainly be watching this development. I've rolled over 7200 miles on my Street 750 now. If there is an internal issue with the engine, I certainly want to know about it before my warranty expires. I'm all in with this motorcycle.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-24-2015, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks, potentially you could be saving lives.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-24-2015, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Posted this in the NHTSA thread:

"Thanks for the info. There is nothing on the service net about this, but I can use this to help my techs diagnose if we have a Street come in with these problems (we have not so far).

I can verify that the rotor is on back order with no ETA date as of this morning.

The rotor also requires 2 tools to remove; a puller and locking tool. We have both in the shop, so not sure if they are Street specific."

Harley-Davidson Service Advisor
Street 500/750 Safety Recalls/Product Programs/Non-Compliance Recalls:
-2015 HARLEY-DAVIDSON STREET FUEL TANK - SAFETY RECALL 0161
-2015 STREET LICENSE PLATE REFLECTOR REGULATORY NON-COMPLIANCE RECALL CODE 0620
-PRODUCT PROGRAM 0919: 2015 STREET MODELS RIGHT SIDE RIDER FOOT CONTROL MOUNTING SCREWS
post #7 of 8 Old 05-26-2015, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Where did you get this info? I seriously doubt the alternator has anything to do with the lag & leap issue. The lag & leap is related to fuel starvation with low fuel in the tank. Fill the tank, and the problem goes away.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-26-2015, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obtuse View Post
Where did you get this info? I seriously doubt the alternator has anything to do with the lag & leap issue. The lag & leap is related to fuel starvation with low fuel in the tank. Fill the tank, and the problem goes away.
Agree.

The fuel light doesn't even concern me... not a safety issue. Why do I keep reading the same copied/pasted comments in different threads? We get it. NHTSA gets it. He should probably just let this play out.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page