Ignition - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-26-2015, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Question Ignition

This is my first fuel injected bike so I am not sure if this is standard or if something is wrong with my bike. I feel as though there is a problem though. So when I fire up the bike it starts and if I am not holding in the ignition switch for an extra 5-10 seconds it will just stall. In my car with the push button start I press once don't hold in and it goes. I feel its odd that it just stalls out after firing. Is not enough fuel transferring with the fuel injection that is causing this issue?
ryoung048 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 05-26-2015, 04:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Beauty and the Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoung048 View Post
This is my first fuel injected bike so I am not sure if this is standard or if something is wrong with my bike. I feel as though there is a problem though. So when I fire up the bike it starts and if I am not holding in the ignition switch for an extra 5-10 seconds it will just stall. In my car with the push button start I press once don't hold in and it goes. I feel its odd that it just stalls out after firing. Is not enough fuel transferring with the fuel injection that is causing this issue?
I am a little confuse, so you turn the the key in the ignition, and then the bike starts when you press the start button. Is that what you are calling the ignition? are you holding the clutch in if it not in N. I am not sure what it is that you are saying is happening...sorry

I am the Beauty of "Beauty and the Beast"
Beauty and the Beast is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 05-26-2015, 04:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Solo750owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Northern Ozaukee County
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Garage
The next time you go to start up the bike wait and listen for a short solenoid sound as soon as you move the run switch to on. As soon as the stop then hit starter. It should fire up right away. When its really cold like 38f. It will take a lot cranks. Try not to ride the starter. If you dont hear that sound before cranking then contact the dealership.
Solo750owner is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 Old 05-26-2015, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
So I turn in the key then slide the switch, hear the fuel, push the button after it finishes and it starts. If I let go of it as soon as it starts it shuts right off. So I have to hold it in for an extended time to let it almost cycle a new amount of fuel to the direct supply where it will continue to run.
ryoung048 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 05-26-2015, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
How long is an extended amount of time? I have to hold the starter button for a full 1 or 2 seconds, maybe 3 at most. I don't just push quick and release.
Static07 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 02-16-2016, 03:15 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoung048 View Post
So I turn in the key then slide the switch, hear the fuel, push the button after it finishes and it starts. If I let go of it as soon as it starts it shuts right off. So I have to hold it in for an extended time to let it almost cycle a new amount of fuel to the direct supply where it will continue to run.
Did you fix the problem?
I'm actually having the exact same problem.
I brought it to dealer to check twice, but they couldn't find any problem.
It was about 5 seconds 2 months ago, now it takes more than 10 seconds to start, and I HAVE to squeeze the throttle.
Yunsik is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 02-17-2016, 06:50 AM
Senior Member
 
BodybagJonny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Indiana,USA
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like a bad fuel pump to me or could be water in with the gas a clogged fuel line or a bad battery its hard to say.
you didn't put gasoline with methanol in did you that it with eat up the fuel pump seals and other problems i'm sure
I think you have a bad fuel pump.
BodybagJonny is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 03-12-2016, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunsik View Post
Did you fix the problem?
I'm actually having the exact same problem.
I brought it to dealer to check twice, but they couldn't find any problem.
It was about 5 seconds 2 months ago, now it takes more than 10 seconds to start, and I HAVE to squeeze the throttle.

My bike has been away for the winter though I did go riding the other day. I could've held the start in longer out of habit but it did not do it this time. I have also been sick as a dog and don't really remember. Hopefully in a couple weeks I will be riding more and I will find out.
ryoung048 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 streetglide blowing ignition fuse yamaha458 New Members Introduction 0 03-26-2015 05:01 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome