Hot fuel tank issue, is this the gas cap issue? - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-26-2015, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hot fuel tank issue, is this the gas cap issue?

I just came back from a 50 mile ride and had some unusual issues. First the bike didn't want to run steady. I don't think was the lag and leap since I had that and the fuel pump was replaced. This was closer to what I equated to how my Boulevard C50 felt with it's belt. It just felt, grabby, for lack of a better word. You couldn't apply the throttle smooth. This was after I put a full tank of fuel in it. Of course that was other than on the highway where it ran like a beast and wanted to accelerate with no issues.
Those lagging issues started even before I put fuel in it. After that I got stuck in construction where the bike got hot enough to run the fan for about ten minutes. Which leads to this...
For the rest of my run the fuel tank got really warm and then downright hot. Now I've been riding long enough to know this isn't a good thing but also isn't really a horrible thing either. At least I dont' think so. It wasn't BLEVE hot. It was 80+ degrees anyway but I could feel it through my jeans.
Could this be connected to the fuel injection pressure release (my brain just refused to give me the word I am looking for) being blocked at the gas cap? I know I read a thread on here about there being an issue where the factory had installed some of these backwards or something like that.
I am trying to read all the threads and avoid asking duplicate questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-27-2015, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
After parking my street 750 in a hot an sunny place I always have the impression she doesn't run smooth. Therefore before I start the engine I open the tank to let the pressure out. Next month she will have her first service and I hope the HD team can solve the problem.

There is another strange behavior: When the engine is cold an I turn the key to start, the speedometer goes off after a short time. To avoid this I have to push the start button immediately after turning the key.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-27-2015, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I'd have them look at the speedometer issue. I think the correct behavior is the way mine goes which is for the bikes computer to boot. The speedo goes to max and you get the idiot lights to all go on. Do you see this when it's warmed up and you turn it off and on?

post #4 of 6 Old 07-28-2017, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
i had a gas cap issue the first couple hundred miles id bring it in and id hear this high pitched squealin low volume but it doesnt do it anymore xg 500 2015 764 miles

madmike norfolk va 2015 street 500, 2009 yamaha vino
post #5 of 6 Old 07-28-2017, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Doesn't run Steady. Like a Misfire? Maybe one of the Wires is going bad?

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #6 of 6 Old 07-28-2017, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I've had this happen when the bike sits in the sun all day I normaly sit and rev it a few times and it clears up for me

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page