2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-11-2016, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bike Dash Cameras?

Does anyone else not trust the typical driver of a car texting on their cellphones and almost smashing into you? I am surprised no one here is professing the use of cameras, not vlogging either like a go pro or something, I mean an actual dedicated camera just for the motorcycle...

I have 1 front and 1 rear facing Pilot camera on all of my vehicles, constantly loop recording in 1080P, and on my motorcycle I use a combination of POV Video Camera sunglasses and Ion Game camera and the Ion Pro Lite... and my long standing trusty 4+ year old Muvi Pro... After seeing crash after crash after scam after idiot drivers oblivious to anyone but themselves while streaming on FaceTweet at highway speeds, I had to make sure I protect myself everytime I start up my baby and ride... Call it paranoia, I call it the little eye that tells no lies... It will hold up in court, civil or criminal, and get you out of a jam especially if you aren't looking for one...

I have at least 100 gigs of crap I want to upload of truckers, vans, and more specifically Chevy Cobalts packed with 7 teenagers flying on the highway while almost hitting me on the motorcycle... And then when they almost hit me, and I maneuver, rev, or yell, its my fault, I "micro" aggressed them and scared them with my loud obnoxious motorcycle, when they were at fault from the start. Then either they see the cameras mounted or try to act all bad/gangsta wannabe and they realize I am recording, they usually apologize or freak out even more... Sheeple *cough* I mean people never cease to amaze me...

Anyone else have this problem?
madmike likes this.

2001 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja (RIP)
2016 Harley Davidson Street 750 (modded)

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (10 sec baby)
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (High 12 tugboat)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-11-2016, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Sykik makes a decent camera from the reviews I have seen, Inovv is way to expensive for the price and lack of ability... Anyone suggest anything else?

post #3 of 13 Old 10-11-2016, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Biggest problem with the automotive dashcams is they're not waterproof, so they won't work on a motorcycle, at least not in my neck of the woods.

2016 Street 500

post #4 of 13 Old 10-12-2016, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
Sony Action Cam, in the waterproof case, on a RAM mount.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...cam/review.htm

I hate autocorrect. I always end up posting some thong I didn't Nintendo.

2015 XG750 Street - Denim Black (Sold)
2010 Suzuki C50T
2007 Kawasaki KLXs (Sold in 2010)

Last edited by 10-64; 10-12-2016 at 05:51 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-13-2016, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaClocker View Post
Biggest problem with the automotive dashcams is they're not waterproof, so they won't work on a motorcycle, at least not in my neck of the woods.
Of course and I agree with you there, but I have seen some very interesting creative mounting solutions from some fellow riders. The ion series is really good, and as I stated before the Sykik brand is growing on me, but obviously it has to be rugged and structurally sound to put up with some random harsh conditions... Yeah, most dashcams are meant to be protected from the elements however, the ones I have from Pilot, have either the case with or without it are pretty sound and video quality is true 1080P, that's all I needed. For the motorcycle however, it's been a R&D nightmare trying to find something that's going to last... I have already went through 2 sets of the POV action camera sunglasses from Blackbird products...

post #6 of 13 Old 10-13-2016, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-64 View Post
Sony Action Cam, in the waterproof case, on a RAM mount.

Sony Action Cam Review - webBikeWorld
Read the article, very unbiased and very descriptive, but the thing I have to ask is how do you get a hardwire constant power source to prevent the battery from draining after 1 hour of riding? With the waterproof case it cannot be done, so how do we combat it? SAC looks good, have seen reviews on it, but I could never trust sony 100% after all of my bravia tvs took a crap almost all at once...

post #7 of 13 Old 10-14-2016, 05:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonTalonTSiAWD View Post
Read the article, very unbiased and very descriptive, but the thing I have to ask is how do you get a hardwire constant power source to prevent the battery from draining after 1 hour of riding? With the waterproof case it cannot be done, so how do we combat it? SAC looks good, have seen reviews on it, but I could never trust sony 100% after all of my bravia tvs took a crap almost all at once...
I haven't had a real problem with the battery running out on me, however, I do always carry a fully charged spare one when I want to record a ride.
You can get about 1/2 day on a fully charged battery depending on whether or not you use the Bluetooth link to your phone to use as a screen.
I picked up a second waterproof case with the intention of drilling a small hole in it, running a power cord thru, and siliconing the hole back up. The problem is you have to remove the bottom cover off the camera that covers the USB and power connection if you go this route.

2010 Suzuki C50T
post #8 of 13 Old 10-16-2016, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I haven't had a real problem with the battery running out on me, however, I do always carry a fully charged spare one when I want to record a ride.
You can get about 1/2 day on a fully charged battery depending on whether or not you use the Bluetooth link to your phone to use as a screen.
I picked up a second waterproof case with the intention of drilling a small hole in it, running a power cord thru, and siliconing the hole back up. The problem is you have to remove the bottom cover off the camera that covers the USB and power connection if you go this route.
True, but then you compromise the integrity of the case and the structure isn't 100% solid anymore... I mean yeah, it could work, but something will still end up being exposed unless you wrap/heat shrink/ waterproof everything including the connection port... I barley get 1.5 hrs on my 1080P glasses and the Ion Game pro is great but tends to fishbowl due to its large area camera (170 Degree) but has amazing quality... I just do it for my safety as I don't trust anyone... Especially after seeing some of the videos on YouTube, yeah, not gonna be a statistic nor a victim or accused of being an idiot squid rider....

post #9 of 13 Old 10-16-2016, 12:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonTalonTSiAWD View Post
True, but then you compromise the integrity of the case and the structure isn't 100% solid anymore... I mean yeah, it could work, but something will still end up being exposed unless you wrap/heat shrink/ waterproof everything including the connection port... I barley get 1.5 hrs on my 1080P glasses and the Ion Game pro is great but tends to fishbowl due to its large area camera (170 Degree) but has amazing quality... I just do it for my safety as I don't trust anyone... Especially after seeing some of the videos on YouTube, yeah, not gonna be a statistic nor a victim or accused of being an idiot squid rider....
Yes, you compromise the integrity, BUT, I'm not swimming with it, or scuba diving! It still protects it from any rain entry, and keeps the camera dry.

2010 Suzuki C50T
post #10 of 13 Old 10-16-2016, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Yes, you compromise the integrity, BUT, I'm not swimming with it, or scuba diving! It still protects it from any rain entry, and keeps the camera dry.
Ever hit rain at 30+ MPH? You know it hurts and is amplified like a power washer on a motorcycle and waterproofing needs to be even more so rigid and integrity needs to be there, otherwise, regardless if you are scuba diving or literally swimming with it, water can and will find its way inside and short circuit your device... I wouldn't want to chance it on a $40 camera or let alone even a $400 one. Let us know how that turns out...
10-64 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page