LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-27-2017, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
M6 x 1.25 pitch riser bolt

I want to put a RAM phone mount ball on my upper riser but the OEM riser bolt is a very weird size. Harley uses a M6 30mm bolt with a 1.25 thread pitch rather than a 1.00 pitch that is standard for M6 socket cap bolts. I need the same bolt in a 55 or 50 mm length. I have searched the internet and contacted 3 fastener companies and no one had ever even heard of that size with that pitch. Stopped at my HD dealer and they were not very helpful at all. They seemed really annoyed by it and not very supportive of the Street in general. Does anyone here have a clue where to source this bolt? The RAM kit comes with M8 bolts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-27-2017, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Look no further as I have contacted RAM themselves and tried to come up with various solutions myself... The thread pitch and diameter as well as the length are uncommon so to speak, but they are coinciding with each other as far as the grade strength and fastening torque goes... So not as uncommon as you think, the automotive world uses that bolt all the time, throttle bodies, MAF adapters, I could keep going...

Either you are going to have to step down and use washers to offset the size difference, or drill and rethread the bolts there now.... There is no other way around it as of right now.... I was looking for a RAM mount for the master cylinder cap so I can mount my iON game 1007 camera or the iON speed pro camera I have as well... but the holes don't line up and the master cylinder caps are too big or small, (mostly BMWs and Ducatti) that's what RAM customer service had told me off the bat... I gave them measurements and pictures of the distance between the bolt holes and such, but due to the offset and only 2 bolts instead of 4 made it a challenge...

So either you are going to have to rig it to work or drill retap and rethread everything....

On the side note, I don't think its Harley doing it at all, some parts guys are Sh!t and hold them accountable next time, go to a manager or **** even the owner, I would... Don't let that slide, especially for customer service, that's their entire job, to be of service...

2001 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja (RIP)
2016 Harley Davidson Street 750 (modded)

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (10 sec baby)
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (High 12 tugboat)
post #3 of 17 Old 01-27-2017, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info! I'll just mount on the handlebar with a RAM claw and call it good. I was really just looking to make the mount aesthetically pleasing but it's just less hassle to go with the goofy looking bar mount . As far as the dealer goes.... the owner was kind of a dick when I came in for my first service. The whole place is pretty down on the Street series. They were all about it when I was purchasing the bike but now any questions I have are met with obvious annoyance on their part.

post #4 of 17 Old 01-27-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumZero View Post
Thanks for the info! I'll just mount on the handlebar with a RAM claw and call it good. I was really just looking to make the mount aesthetically pleasing but it's just less hassle to go with the goofy looking bar mount . As far as the dealer goes.... the owner was kind of a dick when I came in for my first service. The whole place is pretty down on the Street series. They were all about it when I was purchasing the bike but now any questions I have are met with obvious annoyance on their part.
Yeah, I mean I had to do the same thing man, aesthetics vs function... does it work and hold at 120+ MPH? yes, check.... does it look like ass and make it an eye sore and cluster fu&k my handlebars, yes, check.... I mean... Something custom could be made but is it worth the time and effort? Just for your bike or trying to market and sell it? I am going to one day figure it out and put something there on top of the master cylinder, even if I have to custom make a different plate and mount it to there....

post #5 of 17 Old 01-27-2017, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumZero View Post
I used one of the mounts with the u-bolts and that worked fine for me. Just had to pull the wires/cables up and fit the u-bolts underneath. Seems to work quite well.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-28-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeive View Post
I used one of the mounts with the u-bolts and that worked fine for me. Just had to pull the wires/cables up and fit the u-bolts underneath. Seems to work quite well.
I just made sure I tied break off lanyards to each item just in case they do fly off God forbid at high speeds... that way if they do, they will be dangling off the mount and handle bars and not flying into traffic... Gotta be smart with this stuff

post #7 of 17 Old 02-06-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I ended up buying a few things to mount it in the center of my bars below the speedo. I mounted the cross bar on my bars tonight. The quality was fantastic, it looks good on the bike and was only $10

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Universal-CNC-...=1743158045002

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/ram-m...nt-with-1-ball

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/ram-m...-2-inches-long

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/ram-m...older-w-1-ball
post #8 of 17 Old 02-08-2017, 11:29 AM

meh, tomatoe tomato again.... I like the ball ram mounts but not that goofy spider claw mount, it doesn't look sturdy enough and definitely isn't a wind deflector, it's a brick on your handle bars... I ended up just getting a gopro/iON mount for my handle bars and put my water/weather proof camera on the left side, along with my aquawheel weather/water proof speaker... Bluetooth of course, and it holds up in any weather, and I have gotten caught in the rain a few times riding, yesterday in fact... That's why I stress the importance of your gear and are you prepared... I always have a full rain suit, Hi Viz, the whole 9, just in case...

post #9 of 17 Old 02-08-2017, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonTalonTSiAWD View Post
meh, tomatoe tomato again.... I like the ball ram mounts but not that goofy spider claw mount, it doesn't look sturdy enough and definitely isn't a wind deflector, it's a brick on your handle bars... I ended up just getting a gopro/iON mount for my handle bars and put my water/weather proof camera on the left side, along with my aquawheel weather/water proof speaker... Bluetooth of course, and it holds up in any weather, and I have gotten caught in the rain a few times riding, yesterday in fact... That's why I stress the importance of your gear and are you prepared... I always have a full rain suit, Hi Viz, the whole 9, just in case...
The spider claw as you describe it is actually extremely sturdy. I didn't expect it to be at all and was happily proven wrong. I drive with my iPhone 6 plus in one in mine all the time and I have absolutely no fear it will fall out regardless of wind/rough road, etc... My phone ends up being about half behind a wind screen so it isn't taking a full wind load.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-09-2017, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonTalonTSiAWD View Post
I'd love to see a pic of how that stuff is mounted. also, can you detail what 'the whole 9' is that you carry and how do you keep it all with you?

thanks

A well armed hippie with a poor attitude about how the left has redefined 'Liberal'.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page