Screamin' Eagle Nightstick muffler - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gaijin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-02-2017, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Screamin' Eagle Nightstick muffler

I know people post video from their phones of various mufflers all the time, but -- frankly, unless you're at the same distance with the same microphone, comparisons are really difficult to accurately judge.

I ordered the Screamin' Eagle Nightstick slip-on muffler because, frankly, my Street 750 sounded like a sewing machine. I wanted a beefier, deeper, throatier growl to it, more "Harley" and less "Singer" if you know what I mean. But, at the same time, I didn't want some obnoxiously loud fart cannon that disrupts the neighborhood and wakes up babies, or ruins the countryside rides for everyone else, y'know? Other folks may like loud pipes, to each his own, I'm just pointing out my particular reasons.

I also don't really give a hoot about maximum horsepower. To me, Harleys are all about torque, so - if the pipe maximizes torque, then that's a bonus, and that's what Harley says it will do. Harley advertises the Screamin' Eagle Nightstick as "Tuned by the factory for the ultimate combination of rich tone and legal sound levels". They also say "The high-flow design of the external diffusion discs produces plenty of low-end gutsť to get your bike away from the light, and a fat torque curve that gets you quickly around slow-moving traffic."

To me that sounded perfect. I listened to some youtube videos for what the difference in sound character is, as much as can be learned by that, and it sounded pretty good, so I ordered one; online price was about $275.

I decided I wanted to find out just how different the sound levels would be. I tested at three feet behind the pipe using a sound level meter. With the stock muffler, it was 73dB at idle, and 84 db at a constant 5,000 RPM.

I then installed the Nightstick, and immediately upon firing it up I thought that it definitely served the exact purpose I wanted. It definitely has a more characteristic Harley sound to it, although it doesn't quite get the full "potato potato" sound, but it's much deeper and throatier with a nastier growl. But is it actually any louder? And if so, how much?

I re-tested with the Nightstick. At idle it was 84dB. That's 11dB louder than the stock muffler, or almost exactly 4x as loud. Then, at 5000 RPM, it sat at 87dB. That's only 3dB louder, which translates to being 50% louder than the stock pipe.

So, take that for what it's worth. Harley said they tuned the sound levels; I don't know how they could get it so comparable at idle as it was at 5000, when the stock muffler is 4x louder at 5000 than it is at idle. The Nightstick is as loud, at idle, as the stock muffler is at 5,000 RPM -- but it sounds very different from the stock bike.

For the record, 85dB is the level at which sound can start causing permanent hearing damage, so the NightStick is right on (or just over) the limit -- although I measured at 3 feet behind the pipe, not at the rider position, which (being forward of the pipe) is almost certainly going to register a significantly lower noise threshold. But if you were standing behind the bike while it idles, you're going to be exposed to as much sound as your ears can take without needing ear protection.

In summary, I think Harley's advertising of the noise characteristics are accurate, and it suits my purposes nearly perfectly (still wish I could get just a little more potato-potato, but it may not be possible with the 60-degree angle of the Street's cylinders vs. the 45-degree angle of the Big Twins).
10-64 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-02-2017, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Also, The Sound of the muffler is limited by the recording device. So its not a true representation of the sound.

Some states check the Mufflers for DB's. I think it was NY that nailed ALOT of people for Loud Exhaust recently.

If you want Loud, Firebrand Grand Prix. The sound changed when I installed the VO2 Intake vs the Stock Box with K&N. If anyone wants the Factory Air Filter, I have my original one. Doesn't have much use. I dropped a K&N in it shortly after purchase.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #3 of 9 Old 03-02-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
As a followup, I took it out today and gotta say it was better than I expected. The growl is so much meaner, and I can hear it now over the wind noise, but it's not intrusive. Definitely upped the "fun factor." For my purposes, it seems to be a great fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsonmax1 View Post
Also, The Sound of the muffler is limited by the recording device. So its not a true representation of the sound.
Extremely true. Microphones have a limited frequency range that they can record, and a lot of phones are probably using the cheapest voice-sensing microphone that they can get away with, so when you're seeing a phone recording of something like an engine exhaust, it very likely isn't all that accurate a representation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsonmax1 View Post
The sound changed when I installed the VO2 Intake vs the Stock Box
Changed in what way? I still have the VO2 sitting here; installation is the next project when I can get time to do it. Just wondering what you experienced and what I should be looking for.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-04-2017, 04:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
i got the firebrand grand prix on mine sounds more like a big twin than these jap bikes wannabe's

madmike norfolk va 2015 street 500, 2009 yamaha vino
post #5 of 9 Old 03-04-2017, 10:22 AM

Garage
I have the SE as well. I like that it can be tuned for your individual riding preference. I have settled with two discs and an open cap. The open cap can be ordered from Supertrapp or any of their retailers.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-04-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotec View Post
I have the SE as well. I like that it can be tuned for your individual riding preference. I have settled with two discs and an open cap. The open cap can be ordered from Supertrapp or any of their retailers.
How much difference in sound would you say the open cap makes?
post #7 of 9 Old 03-05-2017, 08:46 AM

Garage
I don't have an SPL meter, but it is noticeably louder. As I have it set up now, I faintly hear the exhaust at highway speeds (75-80 mph). Whereas I could not hear it at all previously with the close end cap and 8 discs (stock set up). According to Supertrapp, the open end cap is equivalent to 10 discs.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-06-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Okay, thanks. As it is now, I'm happy with the noise level and don't necessarily want it any louder, so I'll delay on the open end cap, but it's nice to know the option is there for those who would want it louder.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-15-2017, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
As an experiment, I pulled the end cap and discs off the Nightstick, thus simulating an open end cap with zero discs. It was, indeed, noticeably louder. I retuned using the V&H FP3 map for the Competition slip-on with no baffle installed, and re-ran the HP and torque tests. I found that on average, running with the open end cap results in about a 1.5hp and 1.5 ft/lb gain from about 4300 to 5500 rpm. Other than that, it was pretty equal, or generally maybe a 1hp & 1 ft/lb gain. Above 7300 rpm, it showed a little bit of a loss, around 1 to 1.5 hp & 1.5 ft/lb. So, generally, not much in the way of a notable performance difference between 8 discs/closed end cap, and zero discs/open end cap; the differences were very small but were in favor of the open end cap. But the noise was louder. Enough so that I put it back to the closed end-cap configuration and re-flashed the FP3.

So for my purposes, the Nightstick as-is is a pretty great solution. But if you want it louder, you can get it louder, and you'll even pick up an hp or two along the way.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page