V&H VO2 Naked Air Intake - a must have - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-07-2017, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
V&H VO2 Naked Air Intake - a must have

I resisted the VO2 Naked air intake because - it's ugly. I hate the look of it naked, and the look of it with their "skullcap" covers. Blech. Unaclocker showed how he prettied his up by slicing off the original airbox's "Street 750" medallion, and that made it look awesome. So, knowing this wasn't a one-way trip to homelyville for my bike, I ordered it. I found it for $122 at Amazon, with free shipping and no tax.

I installed the Screamin' Eagle Nightstick last week, and flat-out love it. Couldn't necessarily tell any performance difference, but I didn't care, the sound was what I was after, and it delivered. This week I got to put on the VO2. And, I can say, my bike is now uglier.

But looks ain't everything.

This VO2 is now my favorite mod I've ever done to the Street. After remapping with the Fuelpak FP3, the Street feels definitely stronger and quicker and more responsive. But that's not the fun part. The fun part is that the VO2 totally changes the sound of the bike, because now you can hear the intake. It sounds completely badass as-is, with the Nightstick, but I was totally unprepared for what happened when rolling the throttle wide open on the freeway onramp for the first time. The li'l Street 750 howled like a tiger and took off like a rocket. At wide-open throttle it gives off a loud growl totally unlike I ever got from the stock airbox. It is, simply put, intoxicating.

I think this VO2 Naked air intake is the cheapest way to getting an actual, noticeable performance improvement on the Street. And, simultaneously, it will probably end up being the most expensive accessory I've ever bought, because it is too irresistable to slam the wrist and go wide-open-throttle to get that rush and growl. I'm sure my 50mpg average is going to plummet down to 20mpg, just from constantly invoking the howl... Even at freeway speeds, when I can just barely hear the Nightstick by itself, if you go WOT, you'll definitely hear the intake gulping air and howling like a scalded lion. And then you'll do it again, and again...

At idle, the sound really isn't any different, except you can hear a high-pitched sound coming from the intake now, which is definitely not an improvement. Put in your earplugs and hit the road, and it's perfectly gentlemanly. Rip open the throttle and it's like Bruce Banner letting loose. The sound is there when you want it, and not when you don't. You can cruise at highway speeds perfectly pleasantly without being deafened by the constant roar of a loud bike, but if you want it, rip the throttle open and there it is.

That said, it's also much more compact than the stock airbox. The whole thing practically disappears under the tank; from the rider position you really don't even see it, unlike the stock airbox that sticks out pertty far. It's tidy and tucks in under the tank nicely.

This is a performance part that looks like it'll actually increase performance. The stock airbox is a big huge box with a little hole to let the air in, with a little filter in it. The VO2 does away with all that and adds a new velocity stack which is probably at least 50% bigger, if not twice as big as the hole in the stock airbox. It'd be hard to imagine how you'd get much more air into the Revolution engine than this (unless, of course, you went to forced induction). I'm so glad I didn't go with the Screamin' Eagle air intake; the VO2 was twice as expensive but I've got to believe it performs much better given the obvious airflow restrictions of the stock box.

So I utterly love it. It's a great upgrade. Probably my favorite bang-for-the-buck mod ever. But yeah, it's ugly; I have ordered something that will hopefully fix that. And I am very slightly concerned about its nakedness when it comes to the rain; it might actually not be much of a problem when riding in a light drizzle but if you were stuck in a thunderous downpour or if you had to park in the rain, you'd probably want a rain sock. I found one made specifically for the VO2 at Outerwears, Inc, part #20-3060 . $12.95, including free shipping; can't beat that. The pictures don't look right, but it says right in the description it's for the VO2 so hopefully it'll work when it gets here.

V&H VO2 Naked - five stars.

Last edited by Gaijin; 03-07-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-07-2017, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
And I am very slightly concerned about its nakedness when it comes to the rain; it might actually not be much of a problem when riding in a light drizzle but if you were stuck in a thunderous downpour or if you had to park in the rain, you'd probably want a rain sock. I found one made specifically for the VO2 at Outerwears, Inc, part #20-3060 . $12.95, including free shipping; can't beat that. The pictures don't look right, but it says right in the description it's for the VO2 so hopefully it'll work when it gets here.

V&H VO2 Naked - five stars.

I received my Outerwears VO2 rain sock about 2 weeks ago and it fits perfectly and does exactly what it is designed to do. I was iffy about buying it because their website is horrible and it doesn't really give any information on the product other than yes it fits the air intake lol. But, it fits and works great. I, unfortunately, rode in the rain with it a few days ago and everything was fine, so I can vouch for the product.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-08-2017, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Glad to hear it! Yeah, the website did not inspire a ton of confidence, it was like 1995-era webshopping, but I'd seen other people say they'd ordered it so I gambled, and they already say it's shipped. Glad to hear you got it, that it fits, and that it works!
post #4 of 4 Old 03-15-2017, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Okay, I just got my order from boardtracker, and the results of the cosmetic upgrade are breathtakingly stunning. Or not, that may be hyperbole, but ... dang, am I happy with this!

Before:

After:

Easiest install in the world; it's Harley part #61300227 and it's made specifically for the Street, but it's supposed to go on the regular air cleaner cover. I tried just sticking it on the VO2 filter, and ... it's *almost* a perfect fit; it ends up leaving about a 1/16" or maybe 1/8" gap between the cover and the rubber ring surrounding the filter. I got over that little bit of OCD real quick though. Harley makes a few other covers too, there's a chrome Willie G skull, a plain chrome cover that says "Harley Davidson Motor Company" around it, and a black version of that cover too. I went with this one because I liked the look best, and because it's the logo for their "Dark Custom" line, and hey, the Streets are Dark Custom bikes, so it seemed appropriate too.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page