Detachable luggage rack review and lock - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 03-17-2017, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Detachable luggage rack review and lock

I just got the luggage rack, sissy bar, and backrest pad. I had my dealer install the docking hardware so I wouldn't have to face the dreaded red LocTite fender bolt removal that has spawned so many threads on this forum.

A few observations about these pieces:

The sissy bar is tiny. Practically microscopic. I expected it to be small; I'm surprised it's this small; it's about 7" tall and only about 3.5" wide. I was hoping to be able to hang my helmet on it while strapping on my gloves and putting in my earplugs... but the top of the sissy bar doesn't even reach the inside of my helmet, there's about a 2" gap between the top of the sissy bar and the inside of the helmet. It still serves the purpose; you can put the helmet over the sissy bar and it'll sit on the bike's rear seat and the sissy bar/backrest pad keep it from falling on the ground... but it's not by any means "hanging" on the sissy bar...

The backrest pad is also quite small, but I guess it is big enough. Meh. But mounting it on the sissy bar caused a few seconds of head-scratching, because the screws Harley provided are so incredibly short (3/8" maybe? Maybe 1/2"?) that they wouldn't even reach the backrest pad! Put the screw in the cross bar hole on the sissy bar, put the backrest pad up against it, and -- no way will the screws reach. They're probably 1/8" away from even reaching the holes. I was about to head to the hardware store to get longer screws when I decided -- naw, Harley must know what they're doing, I must just have to actually squash the bejeebers out of it and actually bend the backrest pad to get it to reach the threads. So that's what I did; I put so much pressure on it that the backrest pad actually has a mild curve to it, but the threads touched and the pre-LocTite'd screws bit and once they started in, they brought it closer and were able to be completely snugged down and the whole thing worked out fine.

The rack is actually a little bigger than I was expecting. It carries a weight limit of 10 pounds (ten pounds? Seriously?) That's paltry. If it really is that capacity-limited, then it might explain why the sissy bar is so incredibly short; it's probably to avoid leverage overloading the rack's weight capacity. It sure seems like it should be able to hold a lot more than 10 pounds. I mean, a gallon of milk weighs almost 9 pounds by itself. Oh well, I'm just telling you what the safety sticker on the rack says, and it says a 10-lb limit.

The whole rig (luggage rack/sissy bar/backrest pad) mounts to the bike as one piece, and yes, it makes for a very very tight fit with the Mustang 2-Up Touring Seat. Without the sissy bar, the luggage rack plays very nicely with the Mustang, leaving a good maybe 1" gap. But with the sissy bar, it ends up jamming into the leather on the back of the passenger seat rather notably, maybe 1/4 to 1/2". That's gonna leave a mark. Oh well. I don't expect to have it on full-time, only really on an as-needed basis, so it's worth a little smushing I guess.

It's easy to dock in and remove the rig, but at the same time I'm horrified by how steal-able the whole thing is. Anybody could take the rack/sissy bar/pad off your bike in under 5 seconds and walk away with your $300-$400 setup. Not likely, I know, but extremely possible. I really, really like the detachable nature of the whole kit; I don't want it on all the time, I like the quick-change aspect of it. I mean, if all you wanted/needed was a sissy bar, you could check out this thread for a taller, much less expensive sissy bar. But I really wanted the detachability of the thing; it's just that *I* want to be the only one detaching it, y'know?

Accordingly, I broke down and ordered the locking latch kit for the Detachables, in black -- Harley part # 90300086. $75 for a lock?!?! Sheesh! The more annoying part is that you only really need one lock, but you can't buy just one lock; Harley sells it in a kit of two in case you have another accessory you'd need a lock for. But on the Street, I don't think there even is any other detachable accessory you can use, so I had to pay for two locks but can only use one.

Which brings me to: anybody want/need the second lock? If you've got the luggage rack and would like to have a locking latch, send me a PM and I'll be happy to sell you the spare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-17-2017, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
From what I have read on the luggage rack weight limits is it is standard for them to be very, very low. Supposedly this is to ensure no one does anything stupid like have someone ride on it. I routinely have 30-50 pounds sitting on mine without any issue.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-17-2017, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeive View Post
From what I have read on the luggage rack weight limits is it is standard for them to be very, very low. Supposedly this is to ensure no one does anything stupid like have someone ride on it. I routinely have 30-50 pounds sitting on mine without any issue.
I think that sounds entirely reasonable, I mean, it does look and feel like it should be able to handle a lot more than 10 pounds. I'm just relaying what the sticker says on it... but I don't doubt it could handle more. It seems well built and rugged for its size.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page