LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-08-2017, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Frame sliders

Hello, I am somewhat new to riding and I want to add some protection to my street rod. I put highway bars on it but is there anything else I can add to it if gets laid down?

Thanks
Chad

Sent from my HTC 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-08-2017, 02:53 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
You could always wrap your bike in bubble wrap.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-08-2017, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Haha,now I'm pretty sure that's sarcasm.there are handlebar extenders and a rear protection bar where bags would go.

Sent from my VFD 300 using Tapatalk
Gage likes this.

Oi oi oi

post #4 of 15 Old 04-08-2017, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadwilliam1 View Post
Hello, I am somewhat new to riding and I want to add some protection to my street rod. I put highway bars on it but is there anything else I can add to it if gets laid down?
The Street 750 has a number of parts that can be added. I took a quick look on the Harley site and it looks like most if not all the parts are available for the Street Rod too.

Try this link: Vehicle Protection | Harley-Davidson USA

They make the engine crash bars (in chrome and black), a muffler slider guard, an exhaust guard kit, a swingarm guard kit, some bars that mount up by the rear fender, some handlebar tip inserts (obviously wouldn't work for you), and a kit for mounting some footpegs on your engine guards.

Something really rather interesting that they make but apparently don't sell, is an orange set of guards for all the places where a bike is likely to fall. They put these guards on their training academy bikes, so that the bikes will survive falls and still be sellable after they're retired from the training academy. I saw a set listed on Craigslist once, they wanted like $600 for it. What was most interesting was that the engine guards looked like really small, compact guards, not the big giant loops that they normally sell. They were small loops that sit low on the engine. They also had orange parts covering the back of the exhaust and other spots, etc. But, I don't know how likely you'd be to find a set at a reasonable price anywhere.
chadwilliam1 likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-10-2017, 04:02 PM

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Something really rather interesting that they make but apparently don't sell, is an orange set of guards for all the places where a bike is likely to fall.
Those are the same guards that they sell to the general public in black except for...
Quote:
What was most interesting was that the engine guards looked like really small, compact guards, not the big giant loops that they normally sell. They were small loops that sit low on the engine.
I kind of like those because I think they could be used as inexpensive highway pegs, but I suspect that they reduce clearance and lean angle so as to not be that useable in normal riding.
Quote:
They also had orange parts covering the back of the exhaust and other spots, etc. But, I don't know how likely you'd be to find a set at a reasonable price anywhere.
Those are also available in black.

I'm trying to include a photo that shows a lot of the guards from hotbikeweb.com.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rob_riding.jpg (88.7 KB, 55 views)

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750
post #6 of 15 Old 04-10-2017, 04:38 PM

My Solution

With all of that available form H-D I went a different route for temporary protection until I get some experience in the saddle.

I bought some off brand engine guards to protect the front of the bike:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There was some flaking paint issues with these, but that was only until I dropped the bike. I'm a new rider. It happens.

To protect the rear of the bike I attached a Stansport throw over saddle bag:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Each of those holds two empty one gallon water bottles when not otherwise occupied. They provide some cushioning when.

To keep the saddle bags out of the back wheel and also to act as an attachment point I ordered Saree Guards from Surdyke. Part numbers 60300091A and 60300092A.

When I'm more confident about keeping the shiny side up I'll replace the makeshift saddle bags. I'm looking at the Viking hard sided bags.

I don't know if I'll replace the engine guard with a nice one or not. I'm kind of interested in forward controls, but the kits I see for that seem to use the same mounting holes as the engine guards I've seen.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750
post #7 of 15 Old 04-10-2017, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugslyCat View Post
I'm trying to include a photo that shows a lot of the guards from hotbikeweb.com.
Excellent picture, thanks for that, I hadn't seen it from that angle. Yes, it looks like the parts except for the engine guard are all the same as they sell to the public.

The engine guard was the only piece I found actually interesting, but as viewed from that angle it does kind of call into question how it might affect cornering clearance, doesn't it?
post #8 of 15 Old 04-11-2017, 02:10 PM

The bike in the background of the photo is showing the exhaust guards. The front one is a loop that bolts to the frame and encircles the exhaust pipe. The rear one is a little metal donut that goes on the back of the muffler.

After pricing out all of the H-D guards I just decided it would be cheaper to use some caution and replace or refinish what I couldn't protect on the cheap.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750
post #9 of 15 Old 05-19-2017, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I have the harley highway bars and I did drop the bike the other day. Landed on the highway bars and didn't damage anything. I fell on the exhaust side. The highway bars were not even scratched.

This company sells a few items. They do ship to the USA.

http://www.devdihatti.in

I emailed them about their highway crash rods. They are 100 shipped to the USA. They use regular handle bar grips. I think I will buy them. I need a way to stretch out my legs some times.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
post #10 of 15 Old 07-22-2018, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I am selling these highway crash bars. If anybody is interested I'll do 60 dollars shipped. I did drop the bike on one peg. Bolts will be included. I took one off but can't find the oem bolts so I had to order some more.

Sent from my LG V30+ using Tapatalk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page