Best Place for Accessories and ideas - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By PugslyCat

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-12-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Best Place for Accessories and ideas

Now that I finally got my Street back home , it's time to go after the accessories I want. I have noticed most if not all of the "Harley" Accessories are found on Amazon from different sellers are identical to those in the HD Catalog. I'm guessing and hoping they are the same and the prices are a fraction.

I am looking at the National Cycle U Clamp Windscreen, I know many like the Spitfire but I prefer a screen that clamps to the forks and it's only a few bucks different and is shaped a bit better.

Crash bars all seem to be about the same but widely vary in price

Already have a pair of highway pegs but need a set of offsets.

I love the look of the HD saddle bags but for $400 anyone running a decent set that comes with everything, I like the nylon vs leather but would actually prefer a expandable bag so I could shed my jacket without having a big bag flop around empty.

Tail rack and sissy bar again I see prices from mild to wild here. I don't need detachable. How my bike will be ridden it's almost better of it's secured.

Lastly anyone get the HD tank pads? I kinda dig the old school look, but haven't seen enough streets to see if they look good on it.

Other things to come, Tall Boy seat to see if it helps my hip. I'm 5' 11" 200 points but come spring I should be back down to 180.

If it wasn't for having to buy the fuel commander I'd love to put exhaust and a intake on it.

Pretty much what I'm after is ultimate commuter/ townie bike that's set up enough I can hit the twistes on the weekend. For the commute it will be ridden 25-30 miles a day back and forth to the gym, 20 of that's highway or freeway depending on which way i go. And hopefully when my health gets better my mode to get to my neurologist is Seattle 60 miles away all freeway.

So far other than the leaks, I'm loving the bike. I finally opened it up a bit since I'm nearing the 500 mile mark of break in. I see these don't come alive till about 4500 rpm. No clue how hard the dealer rode or on the 200 out of the 450 miles I have on it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-13-2017, 07:15 PM

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
From what I've read in your other posts, I think we use the bikes about the same. I'm using mine for a roundtrip commute of 20-50 miles a day, depending on how much of a ride I take at lunch.

Windscreen - Everybody has their preferences here.
  • Finding one the correct size and adjusting it so that it actually helps seems to be a problem. I suspect that a really useful height would be so tall that it would look odd on a bike this size.
  • I'm using a Slipstreamer HD-Mini Police but I don't like all that chrome on an otherwise blacked out bike, thus...
  • I bought a Spitfire from another member and just haven't gotten around to putting it on.
  • The handlebar mounted windshields are inexpensive and easy to install, but I think a larger shield mounted to the forks would be better. Eventually I'm looking to go to a Memphis Shades batwing fairing for long distance trips and either no windshield or the Slims/Fats for commuter duty.

Crash bars do seem to be mostly similar. I suspect most of these shops buy the H-D ones to use as a pattern.
  • Currently I'm using some inexpensive TCMT bars purchased on Amazon. They are functional and half the cost of the H-D bars, but I had problems with the paint flaking when they came out of the box. They will probably come off in a year or two if I get forward controls.
  • This thread mentions some pegs that act as both highway pegs and crash guards. I'm really thinking about them instead of forward controls and crash guard mounted highway pegs: https://www.hdstreetforums.com/forum/...guard-kit.html

Saddle bags are really a matter of individual tastes and needs. The looks, price, and small capacity of the H-D nylon saddle bags don't do it for me. Almost any throw over saddle bag will work as long as it fits between the tail light and your leg. You can run most of the yokes under the seat, but I like being able to unsnap four clips and throw the whole works over my shoulder.
  • Originally I bought some Stansport canvas bags off of Amazon. They looked terrible, but they were primarily intended as bumpers for when the bike got dropped by the newly license rider. Two empty plastic jugs in each to absorb the impact of a drop or two.
  • Cycle Gear had a close out deal on some Moto-Centric textile bags They have stiffeners built in, so don't flop around.
  • For supports I use saree guards as outlined here: https://www.hdstreetforums.com/forum/...-supports.html. The saree guards are a bit heavy, but make excellent tie down points when carrying cargo. They are cost competitive with generic supports. Being black, they aren't highly visible under the bags or with the bags removed.
  • Capacity is still an issue. When I take the bike to my country home my CPAP machine fills an entire bag. The tool kit and clothing share the other bag. I'm looking at some larger bags for next year.

The H-D package rack, docking points, sissy bar and backrest seem to be ungodly overpriced, but sometimes you really need more luggage space than the saddlebags. Having something to strap luggage, or maybe just a backpack to, would be nice. Is it worth $400 though?
  • Looking back I have to wonder if purchasing the H-D or Saddleman tail bags wouldn't have been a cheaper, better idea.
  • The back rest and pad from Surdyke.com came out to about $115. I recently snapped that up because they had free shipping for orders over $99.
  • The H-D sissy bar seems REALLY SMALL for how much you have to pay for it. The sissy bar and pad came in a medium sized express mail box.
  • Amazon has a couple sellers of generic package racks. Once again, I think they buy the H-D ones and make knock offs.
  • The TCMT one I purchased from Amazon was so twisted it wouldn't attach correctly to the H-D docking points, thus it got returned.
  • One Amazon vendor has a tail rack that uses the regular fender bolts. I passed on it because various photos showed round bolt holes while others clearly showed trigger locks, so obviously different racks.
  • I would kind of like having the extra luggage space detachable. The saddle bags have done the job in commuter use. I only really need the extra space when I take the bike out of town.
I'm 5'11" or 6' depending on my posture with a 29" inseam. The tall boy seat helped a lot. Consider getting the Tuffside recovering kit to add a little padding. That's another one of my projects for over the winter.

I'm fairly determined to buy non-Harley stuff whenever I can. I'm pretty sure that my next bike won't be a Harley, so don't want to be taking a bunch of H-D branded stuff with me when that change happens.

Several threads around here talk about where to buy accessories. The aftermarket parts guys seem to be waiting to see of XG parts are going to be a big enough market to bother getting into or not. Until then the best deals seem to be going with generic parts that just so happen to fit or the three or four H-D discounters. I have consistently gone with Surdyke as they save me enough money over my local chapel to be worthwhile. I haven't tried any of the others, thus don't recall the names off the top of my head. They can be cheaper, though, especially when you figure in shipping costs.
Rantz likes this.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750

Last edited by PugslyCat; 11-13-2017 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Formatting - Preview post lies about spaces between paragraphs
post #3 of 6 Old 11-14-2017, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
I have noticed most if not all of the "Harley" Accessories are found on Amazon from different sellers are identical to those in the HD Catalog. I'm guessing and hoping they are the same and the prices are a fraction.
Not possible. If it's the genuine Harley part, the best you're going to find is about 20% off, from any dealer, anywhere. If it's more than 20% below the Harley price, then it is almost certainly either a) used, or b) a fake.

Quote:
The TCMT one I purchased from Amazon was so twisted it wouldn't attach correctly to the H-D docking points, thus it got returned.
Yep, like that.

The fakes aren't Harley parts, they're knockoffs. They may or may not have the same dimensions. They may or may not have the same mounting points. For example, PugslyCat said:
Quote:
The back rest and pad from Surdyke.com came out to about $115. I recently snapped that up because they had free shipping for orders over $99.
That's the way to save on Harley parts costs. But, don't just assume that any of the aftermarket/knockoff racks will work with the Harley backrest. Maybe they will, maybe they won't.

I agree that the sissy bar is tiny and the rack is grossly overpriced, I think the whole set cost me something like $300+. And it's much smaller than you'd imagine otherwise. Mounts well, is detachable, I got a lock for mine, but it doesn't seem reasonably priced for what it is.

post #4 of 6 Old 11-16-2017, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Few months ago we got a street 750 for my wife. First thing we went after was exhaust. Had trouble finding full systems. Checked woth HD, JP, Dennis Kirk, Cobra, Vance and Hines.....no one offered anything but slip on mufflers. Finally found a full system from www.motomiumotorcycles.com. they are out of india, but pipes arrived and were installed just this evening. Sound great and throttle response is sharper
post #5 of 6 Old 11-16-2017, 11:43 PM

Failed to mention, but these pipes were designed to be put on and used without the need of tuner. Are compatible with the factory Fuel management
post #6 of 6 Old 11-24-2017, 11:18 PM

Yrying to post a video of the set i installed but not sure if itll work

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page